St. John's to keep coach Norm Roberts

• 31 replies

kjd01067

St. John's to keep coach Norm Roberts
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:25:17 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/02/29/2008-02-29_st_johns_to_keep_coach_norm_roberts.html

By ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 29th 2008, 12:12 PM

St. John's is putting an end to speculation about the future of its basketball program Friday and will announce that it is keeping Norm Roberts as head coach, the Daily News has learned.

Roberts, hired in April 2003, has a record of 47-65 at the school. Last season he guided the club to its first winning record on the court since its 2003 NIT championship. The Red Storm is 10-17 and in the midst of its second five-game losing streak of the season, sparking the speculation the school might make a change.

Though it managed to finish in the top 12 of the Big East conference last season and reach the conference's postseason tournament for the first time in four years, the Johnnies are 4-11 in conference play this seasons and must win at least two of its last three to return this season. They face Seton Hall at Carnesecca Arena Saturday at 4 p.m.

The administration makes this call in the face of dwindling crowds at the Garden and Carnesecca Arena, but apparently feels the group of eight freshmen that Roberts brought in for this season -- headlined by 6-7 Justin Burrell -- will be a solid foundation for future success. Also returning for next season will be leading scorer Anthony Mason Jr.

AD Chris Monasch told the Daily News earlier this week that “I'm not willing to pass judgment on a season until it's a complete season. We knew our record would probably take a step back this year. The criteria we're looking for is whether there's a good core of players to build on.”

The commitment to Roberts essentially guarantees him a raise. Next season is the final year of the original five-season, $3 million deal he inked. He has been given a rolling five-year contract with a buyout that is estimated between $100,000 and $200,000 which will be guaranteed for 2009-2010 once next season starts.

During his first four seasons, Roberts' teams have upset five nationally-ranked teams, but none so far this season.

Re: St. John's to keep coach Norm Roberts
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
my weekend is now officially ruined.

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »
My dad just called me and told me to check it out.  I am so pissed!  Another great exculisive from over on the BEB ???

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »
weird, the comments chris made are weeks old.....

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
Monasch must have a vendetta against the program. ;D

kob24

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
i told yall i told yall

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Just sent an email to Monasch !  I urge others to also.

monaschc@stjohns.edu
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:38:53 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
i told yall i told yall
Congrats
Enjoy all the losing next season.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
i told yall i told yall

Kob
THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING FOR JUSTIN! :(

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

monaschs@stjohns.edu

s/b a c after his name not an s
monaschc@stjohns.edu

kjd01067

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »

monaschs@stjohns.edu

my bad ill edit it

s/b a c after his name not an s
monaschc@stjohns.edu

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
looks like the broken clock was wrong again. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kob24

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
i told yall i told yall
Congrats
Enjoy all the losing next season.
yo calm down. i wasnt rooting for him or against him. i just was saying hes coming back thats all. dont get mad at me. i didnt make any decision. u so mad do something about it. stop writing on the internet and getting mad at others do something.as i said im going to do my part and make sure justin gets better. thats all i care about

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
Why no one believed me when I said he was coming back when I said everything I heard said he was coming back no matter what. If I heard otherwise I would have told you too. Perhaps next time people won't hold as much stock in these rumors.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
jj in the clear w/norm....well see about potential transfer rumors......

kob24

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »
i doubt any one transfers

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »
i wanna give a little perspective on this: with sju keeping norm, if he doesnt get an extension its almost as if hes being set up to fail next year recruiting wise.  he will not have a contract on no-one in his right mind would come here if norm isnt under contract for more than 1 year.  if sju REALLY has confidence in norm, its almost as if they have to extend him.  i stick to my belief that this staff has not done a good job and shouldn't be given next season, but this is really setting norm up to fail.  i can tell you that there is currently a recruit that wants to come to st johns but doesnt know if norm will be there or not.  saying that he'll be there next year doesn't do too much to solve the whole trust and recruiting problem.  if they really do keep him without extending him theyre really botching this (altho i think theyre botching this by keeping him next year). 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
i doubt any one transfers

The sun rises and sets every day! People are born and die !
Norm Roberts will have people transfer out at the end of every year!
Book it!
You can also add that we will be awful to watch and lose more than we win!
71-149

kjd01067

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022908aaa.html

St. John's Roberts To Guide Red Storm Basketball Through 2008-09 And Beyond

Red Storm mentor to enter fifth year at the helm next season.

Feb. 29, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University Athletics Director Chris Monasch announced today that head coach Norm Roberts will continue to lead the men's basketball program and execute the University's commitment to rebuild a basketball program of high integrity and high success. Roberts will return for the 2008-09 campaign, and at the conclusion of the current season Monasch will meet with Roberts to pursue an extension of his present contract.

"In recent weeks there has been speculation regarding the status of Norm Roberts' future as head men's basketball coach at St. John's University," stated Monasch. "Most of those comments focused on the pace of progress measured solely by wins. Our assessment of what Norm and his staff have accomplished over the past four years is broader than that, and in many key areas the progress is consistent with the expectations expressed by the University, our supporters and Coach Roberts when he was hired in 2004. Norm has established the foundation of a great program - integrity, hard work and discipline - and while we join many of our loyal fans in wanting to see that foundation generate greater success on the court, we are confident that the program will return to its winning tradition in the very near future.

I felt it was important to make this announcement at this time so that our coaches and players can focus on the last three games of the season as we attempt to qualify for the BIG EAST Championship Tournament. Also, it is important for recruits who are in the process of making decisions to know that Norm Roberts will be the coach at St. John's University.

In 2004, Norm Roberts was brought to the University to address and overcome two significant and compounding challenges. At a time when the program was at its lowest point in history, the BIG EAST Conference was expanding to become even more competitive.

Finishing the 2004 BIG EAST Conference schedule at 1-15, the University faced the enormous challenge of recovering from two crises. First, violations of University and team rules led to the extrication of a number of players from the program. This was followed by a violation of NCAA rules which led to a two year probation that concludes this May. At the same time these crises were impacting the team's talent and future prospects for recruitment, the BIG EAST Conference was expanding to add perennial Top 25 teams to an already formidable competitive landscape. In the face of these dual challenges, Roberts was asked to re-establish integrity, pride and high expectations in St. John's basketball.

At that time, the University expressed to Roberts that it would be patient as he rebuilt the program to the performance level in the highly competitive BIG EAST Conference that is expected from the school and its supporters. In our careful assessment, Coach Roberts has accomplished what was asked of him. He has re-established a sense of discipline and work ethic that we expect at St. John's. He has reestablished relationships with the local basketball community and he has recruited a young group of talented student-athletes who are succeeding in the classroom, representing the University well and showing great promise on the court.

This year's roster includes eight first-year players which we believe complement a thin, but talented group of upper classmen and provide a solid base for the future. There is still work to be done and future recruiting classes will need to provide the additional talent to bring the program to the next level of development and the high level of success on the court to which we all aspire and expect. The University strongly believes that Coach Roberts is the person to complete this final segment of the rebuilding process."

University President Rev. Donald Harrington, C.M. stated, "I am deeply grateful to Norm for all that he has accomplished in less than four years. Although much work remains to be done, we believe that many foundational elements are in place for a program of which we all can be proud. The University is committed to providing whatever institutional support is needed to bring the men's basketball program to the elite level we all desire."

Plans to raise funds to continue to improve facilities and other program elements are underway, including the renovation of Carnesecca Arena. These investments will be made with a long view, according to Monasch.

"I look forward to meeting with Norm at the close of the season to carefully plan and set expectations for the second century of St. John's basketball," Monasch said.