Kentucky - Game Thread

• 196 replies
Re: Kentucky - Game Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
I love this staff, and they have proven to develop talent and find the right balance for what they have. That said, a little objectivity never hurt anyone. Sure it may upset some of the homers out there, but basically ignoring the frontcourt was a wrong move here. They will be overmatched by every single BE team in the paint.

Kentucky ate us alive. It wasn't just about their talent. They pushed us around.

I think it was Gilchrist who was laughing at us

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
everyone...please step away from the ledge...thank you

We lost by 22 to UK at Rupp.  We didn't not belong on the same court with them..  Not unexpected.

Marillac-  You are out of your mind.  Davis and Jones are top ten picks in the NBA draft...this season.  The difference between a top 10 recruit and a 20-50 ranked recruit is stark,  as we saw last night.

Its not the end of the world.  growing pains people....growing pains.

22? We could have lost by 40 if Cal had not called off the dogs.  We were destroyed.  Outside of GG play there is nothing positive about this debacle

Ummm...yes... 22.  You teach math right?  ;)

Funny thing is i saw guys on the other board crying because Uk was still dunking and alley-oping with 4 minutes left.  I don't think he called the dogs off.  They were running every chance they had. For the record, as well they should.  This is big boy basketball. If you don't like them dunking and laughing, either stop them, or knock them into the 3 rd row.  I just find it funny that NYers have this big bravado but then start whining that a team is running it up ( which, IMO, they have every right to do)

Ummmmmmm yes I did teach mth, and I recall us being down by 28 points when Cal put in kids that have not played yet this year.  And how do you find good in a game where we helped KU set all time records in blocked shots etc.  Do agree with you re. the whiners.  grow up little boys, this is the big time.  If you allow yourselves to get beat that badly, you deserve it.

« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
Kentucky will be the best team we face all year--they have at least 3 first round picks playing for them.

Pretty much on point, DFF.  They could very well lose on Saturday against UNC, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them beat UNC by 10 or more.  Not at all.

Absolutely disagree with this post.  Kentucky has some inexperience there as well.  Look for blowouts versus other BNig East teams.  As of now, we dont have a legit PG running the show.  How do you know that Duke, Yukon or the Cuse isnt better.  We, for the most part, have played mediocre competition so we dont know anything except that we WILL NOT BE A 500 TEAM THIS YEAR.

What do you disagree about?  Kentucky being the best team we play this season?  Kentucky possibly handling UNC by 10 or more points?

Kentucky could very, well be the best team we face all season.  Secondly, Kentucky could possibly lose tomorrow, but they could also beat UNC in a convincing fashion, as well.  Yes, Kentucky has some inexperience, but they also have guys like Miller, Jones, Lamb and ex-Florida Gator/JUCO guy in Vargas.  IMO, that balances out their inexperience. 

By the way, they have a couple of kids who can go amongst the top 15 in the 2012 NBA Draft.  I'm not even bringing the experienced guys into that equation.  Those are the freshmen.  One of the "youngsters" will probably be the #1 pick in the '12 draft.  One of the "experienced" guys is probably a lottery pick, while two others probably will go in the first round of the the same draft.

We don't know whether Duke, UConn or 'Cuse is better.  I also watch enough college basketball, and from what I've witnessed so far, Kentucky is better than those particular teams.  Who knows how the season will shape up....  Currently, Kentucky is the better team.

Somply disagree with the post that states.  "KU will be the best team we play this year" I also happen to think that Ohio State is better than KU.

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »

We lost by 22 to UK at Rupp.  We didn't not belong on the same court with them..  Not unexpected.

Marillac-  You are out of your mind.  Davis and Jones are top ten picks in the NBA draft...this season.  The difference between a top 10 recruit and a 20-50 ranked recruit is stark,  as we saw last night.

22? We could have lost by 40 if Cal had not called off the dogs.  We were destroyed.  Outside of GG play there is nothing positive about this debacle

I normally do not post here because "real fans" like you soil the discussion and are strictly fair weather phonies!
Cal's scrubs did not enter the game until the 38 minute mark bozo!
He played his SIX best players 90% of the game and the 7th man was an All-American in high school.
He did not call off the "cats" once!
Had Nurideen and Harrison not been totally ineffective the game would have been closer to a 14 point loss and the scrubs of Kentucky would not have even seen their TWO minutes of prime time.

I guess the sun must be getting to your head and you must not be thinking straight.  It was our dumb ass strategy of trying to run with Kentucky that blew the game wide open.  There were second and third string players that looked good cause we made them look good by trying to run with them.

In terms of a fair weather phony, dope, I am not putting the team down at all, just telling it like it is.  The team may have a future but it aint immediate. Just hate the immaturity of some of our "fans" here that were touting us as an NCAA tourney team early on.  You cant just blame Nuri and Harrison..... WE WERE MAN-HANDLED UNDERNEATH

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
Somply disagree with the post that states.  "KU will be the best team we play this year" I also happen to think that Ohio State is better than KU.

You can disagree.  Cool!  Could you also give your reasoning.  Thanks. 

Ohio State could very, well be better than UK (KU is actually Kansas), but we don't play Ohio State.  So, what's your point?

« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
Just hate the immaturity of some of our "fans" here that were touting us as an NCAA tourney team early on.  You cant just blame Nuri and Harrison.....WE WERE MAN-HANDLED UNDERNEATH

So, the fans who felt this team was an NCAA tournament team constitutes immaturity?   ;D   I can't believe you even used that word.  That is for another day.  Quite frankly, the fans who felt we could be an NCAA tournament team believed that could've been the case with a full roster.  Not with the current roster.

« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »
Just hate the immaturity of some of our "fans" here that were touting us as an NCAA tourney team early on.  You cant just blame Nuri and Harrison.....WE WERE MAN-HANDLED UNDERNEATH

So, the fans who felt this team was an NCAA tournament team constitutes immaturity?   ;D   I can't believe you even used that word.  That is for another day.  Quite frankly, the fans who felt we could be an NCAA tournament team believed that could've been the case with a full roster.  Not with the current roster.

Not true, there are those who still believed we would be a tourney team with not just as deep a tourney run. :D  By the way. KU (there did I get it right?) would lose to a team like Yukon..... similar in talent but better coached

« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »

Not true, there are those who still believed we would be a tourney team with not just as deep a tourney run. :D  By the way. KU (there did I get it right?) would lose to a team like Yukon..... similar in talent but better coached

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't see the NCAA tournament as a destination this season.  We'll never know whether UConn is better than Kentucky or not unless they play.  IMO, Kentucky has the better overall talent.  Yes, UConn is the better coached bunch, but it's certainly not by a landslide.

« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »

I normally do not post here because "real fans" like you soil the discussion and are strictly fair weather phonies!
He played his SIX best players 90% of the game and the 7th man was an All-American in high school.
Had Nurideen and Harrison not been totally ineffective the game would have been closer to a 14 point loss and the scrubs of Kentucky would not have even seen their TWO minutes of prime time.

I guess the sun must be getting to your head and you must not be thinking straight.  It was our dumb ass strategy of trying to run with Kentucky that blew the game wide open.  There were second and third string players that looked good cause we made them look good by trying to run with them.

In terms of a fair weather phony, dope, I am not putting the team down at all, just telling it like it is.  The team may have a future but it aint immediate. Just hate the immaturity of some of our "fans" here that were touting us as an NCAA tourney team early on.  You cant just blame Nuri and Harrison..... WE WERE MAN-HANDLED UNDERNEATH

look clown, all you do is play the "blame game" after a loss. You predicted a big loss yet you make it sound like SJ should have been in a position to win with 4 freshmen playing their first d n away game in college vs the top team in college.
You specialize in manufacturing facts and squealing like a cheap whore when you are challenged.
The biggest lead was 27 with 2:45 left in the game! Calipari put two guards in the game in the final 2 minutes.
Vargas ....played the last 5 minutes......remember him? Ranked as the No. 26 prospect in the nation according to Rivals.com as a senior in high school.
yeah, Dickless Vitale, Cal called off the dogs against the youngest and least experienced team in college but as you stated above......they deserved to lose!
You are a real fan!!!!

Poison

« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
The fans who felt that a team with one returning player, a guy who rode the pine was going to dance with 7 players, and one big man, aren't immature. That doesn't make any sense. What they are is unreasonable, and maybe even delusional.

« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

look clown, all you do is play the "blame game" after a loss. You predicted a big loss yet you make it sound like SJ should have been in a position to win with 4 freshmen playing their first d n away game in college vs the top team in college.
You specialize in manufacturing facts and squealing like a cheap whore when you are challenged.
The biggest lead was 27 with 2:45 left in the game! Calipari put two guards in the game in the final 2 minutes.
Vargas ....played the last 5 minutes......remember him? Ranked as the No. 26 prospect in the nation according to Rivals.com as a senior in high school.
yeah, Dickless Vitale, Cal called off the dogs against the youngest and least experienced team in college but as you stated above......they deserved to lose!
You are a real fan!!!!

OK jackass, since you resort to name calling, I can play too. I did predict a big loss but was pretty much on the money.  However, I believe that the differential could have been minimized by employing a different tempo. I dont manufacture facts and squealing is more about what you and your male lover do behind closed doors.

Marillac

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
I love this staff, and they have proven to develop talent and find the right balance for what they have. That said, a little objectivity never hurt anyone. Sure it may upset some of the homers out there, but basically ignoring the frontcourt was a wrong move here. They will be overmatched by every single BE team in the paint.

Kentucky ate us alive. It wasn't just about their talent. They pushed us around.

That's cute of him since he was the 4th or 5th most effective freshman in the game.  UK's freshman did not play well. Raided Davis who wasn't called on to do anything but use his superior size and length when it was there.

UK loses Jones, Davis, Teague, Miller, Lamb, and possibly Gilchrest at the end of this season.  We bring back literally every single minute played from 2011-2012 AND we add much needed depth and size--with some of that help coming in two weeks.

Moe is better than Gilchrest...he may not have the ceiling athletically, but he is the better college player.  We would beat UK. Ext season and destroy them the two years after that.  Lucky for us the juco ranks always have very good shooters and big men.

« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »

That's cute of him since he was the 4th or 5th most effective freshman in the game.  UK's freshman did not play well. Raided Davis who wasn't called on to do anything but use his superior size and length when it was there.

UK loses Jones, Davis, Teague, Miller, Lamb, and possibly Gilchrest at the end of this season.  We bring back literally every single minute played from 2011-2012 AND we add much needed depth and size--with some of that help coming in two weeks.

Moe is better than Gilchrest...he may not have the ceiling athletically, but he is the better college player.  We would beat UK. Ext season and destroy them the two years after that.  Lucky for us the juco ranks always have very good shooters and big men.

Watch Shabazz end up at UK.

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »

Watch Shabazz end up at UK.

He's never met a shot he didn't like.  I think it'll either be UK, UCLA or UNLV.  Although, he could shy away from Kentucky, if they lose a huge chunk of their roster. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:37:10 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »

I was surprised by Gilchrest...he has one of the ugliest shots I've seen.  He needs some work before he thinks about being a one and done.

Teague wasn't all that impressive either.  I think they struggle against NC today.  Apparently they have no depth...because Calipari still had starters in with only 2 minutes left.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »
I don't think ncaa's is or was an unreasonable thought.  Making the ncaa's isn't winning the ncaa's.  We havent been totally overmatched by anybody this season except UK.  A couple of factors to consider. Are RPI, SOS, and strength of the Big East overall. 

This far we're 4-4 and really only lost one game we shouldn't have.  If we enter the Big east schedule at 7-4, I think we are in good shape overall entering the big east.  It will be a tall order to win those 3 but we'll be in good shape if we do.  After that, we have to consider how we'll perform in the big east.

There are only one or two teams in the big east right now that are monsters talent-wise like Cuse, Uconn.  After that, there are maybe 3 teams that have looked good like Georgetown, Marquette.  To crack the ncaa's it's not as much of a stretch as people think.  We need to crack the top 8 or 9 teams.  We have some talent to compete and if we play well, might be as to do so.  I'm not saying its likely.  Just not immature nor unreasonable.  It's about the math.  I don't think we're a bottom feeder big east team even with our setbacks.

Adding Amir and hopefully  Cummings should put us in a position to compete with more depth on our bench which will help a ton.  I certainly think NIT is more likely, but don't sell us short yet as we have the entire season to play and will get better and deeper.  There's also a lot of big east teams I'm not sold on being better than us.

MCNPA

« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »

I was surprised by Gilchrest...he has one of the ugliest shots I've seen.  He needs some work before he thinks about being a one and done.

Teague wasn't all that impressive either.  I think they struggle against NC today.  Apparently they have no depth...because Calipari still had starters in with only 2 minutes left.

Gilchrist has one thing going in his favor.  He always plays harder than the players he's playing against.  A guy like mo Harkless is taller and more talented.  Mo just needs to play with Gilchrists intensity at both ends.  Guys like Pointer and Amir have that fire.  With some seasoning they'll be tough. 

« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
Gilchrist has one thing going in his favor.  He always plays harder than the players he's playing against.

Exactly, MCN!  I found that out about Gilchrist while watching him on the AAU circuit.  He was better than the majority of those guys, but he was also outworking 'em.  He's a talented player (needs some work on his jumper), but he also goes hard.  As, you stated....  He's usually going harder than the opposition.  You gotta love those kinda kids.  Some things he'll do may not always show up on the stat sheet.

A guy like mo Harkless is taller and more talented.  Mo just needs to play with Gilchrists intensity at both ends.  Guys like Pointer and Amir have that fire.  With some seasoning they'll be tough.

Harkless started to show some gumption midway through the second half.  He needs to do that more often.  He also needs to get a bit stronger.  Quite frankly, he could be a lottery pick in another season or two.  He has that type of talent.  Imagine, if he brought it like Gilchrest, Pointer and Garrett.  Sheesh! 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:05:55 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
Gilchrist has one thing going in his favor.  He always plays harder than the players he's playing against.

Exactly, MCN!  I found that out about Gilchrist while watching him on the AAU circuit.  He was better than the majority of those guys, but he was also outworking 'em.  He's a talented player (needs some work on his jumper), but he also goes hard.  As, you stated....  He's usually going harder than the opposition.  You gotta love those kinda kids.  Some things he'll do may not always show up on the stat sheet.

A guy like mo Harkless is taller and more talented.  Mo just needs to play with Gilchrists intensity at both ends.  Guys like Pointer and Amir have that fire.  With some seasoning they'll be tough.

Harkless started to show some gumption midway through the second half.  He needs to get a bit stronger and more aggressive.  Quite frankly, he could be a lottery pick in another season or two.  He has that type of talent.  Imagine, if he brought it like Gilchrest, Pointer and Garrett.  Sheesh!

the problem is, due to our situation (THANKS NORM) Moe is forced to play out of position and be a 4, when he should be a 3, where he will play at the next level.  When the cubard is filled and there are more players up front, he will blossom.

« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »

Harkless started to show some gumption midway through the second half.  He needs to get a bit stronger and more aggressive.  Quite frankly, he could be a lottery pick in another season or two.  He has that type of talent.  Imagine, if he brought it like Gilchrest, Pointer and Garrett.  Sheesh!

the problem is, due to our situation (THANKS NORM) Moe is forced to play out of position and be a 4, when he should be a 3, where he will play at the next level.  When the cubard is filled and there are more players up front, he will blossom.

Isnt Norms fault that Polee,Ron Roberts,Sampson and Pelle arent here