Who steps up for St. John's?

• 41 replies

Moose

Re: Who steps up for St. John's?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »
Actually Harrison would benefit from a guard that could penetrate since he can't get his own shot off. I don't think we should be blaming Nuri for Harrison's shooting. What is next someone going to claim Nuri was the one paying Keita and helped organize the Pitt skank train?

Nobody blamed him for his shooting.  But there is only one ball to go around and when someone is hogging it, there can be plenty of negative impact.
Remember who broke the Slice news

jayro

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
If Harrison can step up his shooting % -it should be a major windfall for Mo and GG-opening things up in the middle a bit.
Wouldn't hurt if Green hit some more outside shots as well-which I believe he is capable of.
I am still optimistic about the future of this team-not this year perhaps, but next year and the following years. We've taken some lumps and will take some more but I am confident in Lavin and his staff.
Yes, I am a HOMER GO SJU.

ras

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
We need Greene to play like a PG,finding the open man and disributing the ball. Hopefully he is up to the task.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
Moose
The last two games Nuri took a combined 9 shots. During those two games Harrison shot 5-22 and 4-16 from three. I called this pretty early but those of you expecting Harrison to be Chris Mullin, Reggie Miller or something are going to  be disappointed. I am sure he can do better than 35% from the field, but at his size with the type of shot he shoots he will never be a consistent shooter! 

Moose

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Moose
The last two games Nuri took a combined 9 shots. During those two games Harrison shot 5-22 and 4-16 from three. I called this pretty early but those of you expecting Harrison to be Chris Mullin, Reggie Miller or something are going to  be disappointed. I am sure he can do better than 35% from the field, but at his size with the type of shot he shoots he will never be a consistent shooter! 

# of shots is part of the equation.  He also turned the ball over how many times.  Those are situations when in many cases someone (namely Harrison) is open.

Also Harrison seems to collect shots when we are coming from behind.  His best games have been when he gets in the flow early.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
See again I understand that there were other issues at play here with Nuri that led us here, but from a purely basketball standpoint the team looked its best with Lindsey driving the ball. In fact based soley on basketball I would say for me Harrison is the guy who has failed the most to live up to his rep.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
See again I understand that there were other issues at play here with Nuri that led us here, but from a purely basketball standpoint the team looked its best with Lindsey driving the ball. In fact based soley on basketball I would say for me Harrison is the guy who has failed the most to live up to his rep.

I agree we cosmetically looked best when he was free to drive.  But the refs stopped calling the fouls on the defenders that sent Nuri and his Plumlee-esque FT% to the line.  And also this caused frustration where Nuri would try to do more then since he wasnt getting the foul call and that caused some turnovers.  Plus some good ole passes into the 3rd row like the DET game.

And to me Nuri didn't live up to the rep, not Harrison.  Harrison has had to adjust to being THE MAN to being part of the equation.  He adjusted a lot better than Nuri in that case.  And I'm sure more will come over time. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:37:57 PM by Moose »

boo3

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

I would agree with this 100%.  Let's hope he turns it around.  Looks to me that he's more of a streak shooter/scorer than a pure shooter.  I think this distinction should be made.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
I said this weeks ago, if only Nuri figured out how to get it to the oPen man and dish it off before he got rejected or turned it over

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
I agree that Nuri was far from perfect, but as soon as he started to struggle it seems from outside looking in that the coaching staff changed styles and seemed to give up on him rather quickly.

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
Obviously they were better players than Nuri but Iverson and Strickland to name two guys used to drive to hoop recklessly. Both were not what you would call classic playmakers but both learned to dish off when in trouble. I think if Nuri could have figured that out and developed a little tear drop shot he would have had a nice career here.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »
I agree that Nuri was far from perfect, but as soon as he started to struggle it seems from outside looking in that the coaching staff changed styles and seemed to give up on him rather quickly.

Agree with that and agree that it's crazy to blame the other player's inadequacies on Lindsey. Harrison has taken 90 shots (10 more than Lindsey) and missed 60 of them. He's 17 for 50 from 3. That's Avery-esque. And he's not missing those shots because he has a hand in his face, he's missing them because he's missing them. It'd be fairer to say that if Harrison hit some three the middle might have opened up for Harkless and Lindsey. I don't agree that he'll never be a good shooter, he looks to have a good stroke, albeit his shots a little funny looking.

I'm not seeing anything from this I didn't expect to see: a liong year in which freshmen are overmatched by upperclassmen. It seems to me that people who underestimated how bad we'd be are looking to scapegoat NLO to explain their own miscalculations.

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 02:08:26 PM »
As far as Harrison I don't dislike him or his game and I think he is better than he has shown. I  just do not think he will ever be what you would call a knockdown shooter based purely on the way his shot looks. There have been good shooters who have had odd shots before: Steve Kerr, Mike Adams, etc. Adams was super quick though and Kerr's college offense was geared around getting him open and then in the pros all he had to was stand around wide open as Jordan then Duncan kicked the ball out to him. Though no fault of his own, from what I had heard about Harrison I was expecting a Steve Alford, Allan Houston or Larry Wright ;) looking jumper. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:10:24 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
I also agree that harrison might not of enjoyed playing with lindsey. If I was a betting man I would bet that Harrisons game picks up now that he is gone.
As to who steps up the most I think it will be Harrison and Greene. The backcourt needs to get more comfortable and need to hit open shots to free up our front court. I dont think we can ask much more out of Mo, hes been great, however if he starts hitting more of his shots than his numbers will improve.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Was talking to bobre and he says if given half a chance that Sean Evans would step up.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
On the bright side, we become a good free throw shooting team overnight by replacing Nuri's 7 ft's a game at 56% with Phil Greene and Harrison taking more.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Everyone needsto stepup.

Phil Greene I think is ready to take a larger role. I think that is the reason Nuri  got  so unhappy so quickly.
We need to get Harrisson more shots, but we need to get him better shots.

Moe is Moe. Not sure we can ask more from him. Kid has been great playing out of position.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:08:56 PM by Red2395 »

Moose

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
On the bright side, we become a good free throw shooting team overnight by replacing Nuri's 7 ft's a game at 56% with Phil Greene and Harrison taking more.

I was looking at that.  Scary how much our %'s pick up on FT, 3's and TO's.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

Ever the optimist. Harrison isn't going to get fouled much more than he is already because he rarely takes it to the basket: 60 percent of his shots are from 3. Greene maybe takes more some more shots and maybe makes 15 percent more FTs than Lindsey (70 percent vs 55 percent), which is one or 2 points a game. But Pointer is the player most likely to get more shots, having played the fewest minutes previously, and he's likely to get fouled more because he plays around the basket - he's 9-33 shooting FTs, 40 percent. So in reality we're replacing a 56 percent FT shooter with a 40 percent FT shooter, which doesn't seem like good overnight to me.

Chilleb

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
Moe needs to turn into a walking double double threat, Gift needs more touches, Harrison needs to start knocking down shots, Greene has to knock down open shots but most importantly we need Dom to become that slasher who converts on free throws as well. I look for his ppg to jump into double digits.