5 years ago

• 26 replies
5 years ago
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
There were a bunch of freshman on this team playing major minutes. What do you remember about their games that excited you or disappointed you at first? What changed?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: 5 years ago
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
There were a bunch of freshman on this team playing major minutes. What do you remember about their games that excited you or disappointed you at first? What changed?

It was actually 4 years ago.  Quite frankly, I was excited about the future prospects of guys like Burrell and Kennedy.

What changed?

The coaching.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
expectation are higher based on our class rankings prior to the season.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
I was looking forward to watching Cavataio and Boothe, the chsaa recruits

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »

It was actually 4 years ago.  Quite frankly, I was excited about the future prospects of guys like Burrell and Kennedy.

What changed?

The coaching.

What do you remember about those guys as freshman? How did their games change or stay the same?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
We had quite a few real bad clunkers that year (Ohio, Tulane, Niagra)  but towards the end of the year we looked a lot better and that WVU game was a great game.  Burrell was the bright spot, DJ surprised me a little and Paris established himself as a high flyer but I never thought he would've developed into the shooter he became.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
  I remember thinking that Justin Burrell was going to be the next Antonio McDyess.  While he showed flashes throughout his career he never quite lived up to the build. 

However, I have mad respect for Justin because he took a lot of heat on these boards ( I know i mocked a few missed dunks, sorry JB) and he never said anything negative through all the losing. He kept working his tail off, even after being made a 6th man his senior year, and had a solid career.  He is the antithesis of a Nurideen Lindsey, which is a testament to those around him that helped keep JB grounded.  Glad he decided to stick it out for 4 years because he could have easily quit on his team.

Very happy that he is making $$$ playing basketball.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:38:59 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »

What changed?

The coaching.

What do you remember about those guys as freshman? How did their games change or stay the same?

I remember them being a bit rough around the edges, but particularly thought those two were the best of the bunch.  I think Kennedy's game improved more, as his shooting from behind the arc got better.  I thought Burrell made a slight improvement from his junior year to his senior year.  He was still robotic, but I liked his aggressiveness.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
How much better did Evans get thru the years? We should take a look at the thread of him signing here. I was never expecting too much from him, but at times he seemed to perform some sort of miracle. Remember that Richmond game?

Moose

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
How much better did Evans get thru the years? We should take a look at the thread of him signing here. I was never expecting too much from him, but at times he seemed to perform some sort of miracle. Remember that Richmond game?

I don't remember the Richmond game because it was the CBI and I refused to acknowledge it as a post season tournament and did not watch it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »

I don't remember the Richmond game because it was the CBI and I refused to acknowledge it as a post season tournament and did not watch it.

something like 20 points in the first half on near perfect shooting. Followed by a second half collapse by our whole team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

I think Burrell was the most enticing player for me.  I envisioned him developing into a new Jayson Williams.  His freshmen year was up and down, but he had his moments.  Anyone remember the game at the Carrier Dome early that season?  He had like 20 and 10, in one of his first couple Big East games.   

ris

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
We won 11 games (5 in the Big East) with eight freshmen and Norm Roberts four years ago. I expect that we can win more games this season.

Chilleb

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
I was hoping we would land Corey fisher

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
The only thing we should take from that class is how much improvement kids enjoy over the course of a career.  The kids here now are soooo much more talented and more skilled than those guys were.  These kids will be unreal by next season.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
I was suprise by DJ's handle.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

ras

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
I thaught DJ had the most potential when watching him as a fr.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
We won 11 games (5 in the Big East) with eight freshmen and Norm Roberts four years ago. I expect that we can win more games this season.

We also had some upperclassman...Mason, Geno, Ced, etc.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »

We also had some upperclassman...Mason, Geno, Ced, etc.

and height, and "depth"

Poison

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
We did not have have Ced. We had Larry Wright , Tomas Jasuloines, Anthony Mason & Eugene Lawrence - who had lost interest by then.