A Win

• 94 replies
Re: A Win
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
He has had jumpers blocked from distance. That is not good! I don't mean to come down on the kid as i actually like the emotion he plays with and he plays hard. I am just surprised that he came in with his reputation. Of all the kids including Nuri, Harrison's game to me has been the biggest disappointment as far as the things I had heard.

Marillac

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »
Marillac
I did not see Harrison in HS but from day one I said I did not like the look of his shot. Players are bigger and more athletic at this level and he has had a bunch of shots blocked, so maybe he altered his shot from HS?
Hardy got great elevation and had a soft touch. If anything he sometimes drifted on his jumper but he did not have a bad looking shot at all. If Hardy were 3 inches taller he would be a pro.

Agree with Hardy...but give Marillac a little credit for recognizing that and posting the Hardy v. Hatten thread last summer (and get crushed on this board for even daring to compare the two).  I think Harrison will actually be better than Hardy as both a shooter and scorer by his junior year. 

He takes too many bad shots at this point, but he has to.  As the other guys get better at making their shots, it will get much easier for Harrison.  Moe has a much better outside game than he's shown thus far, but he is needed in other areas.  Greene will be a solid shooter for us as well.

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
My favorite SJU juco transfers
1. Berry
2. Bootsy
3. Boo Harvey
4. Hatten
5. Hardy

I think if we recruit a juco he should either have an B or H in his name and he will be great.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:36:52 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
He has had jumpers blocked from distance. That is not good! I don't mean to come down on the kid as i actually like the emotion he plays with and he plays hard. I am just surprised that he came in with his reputation. Of all the kids including Nuri, Harrison's game to me has been the biggest disappointment as far as the things I had heard.

Most players are gonna have shots blocked from distance from time to time.  For the most part, Harrison has been able to get his shot off without being impeded. 

I agree with Marillac re: "He takes too many bad shots at this point, but he has to.  As the other guys get better at making their shots, it will get much easier for Harrison."

I believe once we get an entire roster than he'll be able to play within the flow and not force the issue as much.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
My favorite SJU juco transfers
1. Berry
2. Bootsy
3. Boo Harvey
4. Hatten
5. Hardy

I think if we recruit a juco he should either have an B or H in his name and he will be great.

brownlee as well
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
  Wasn't Matt Brust a transfer also?   I loved that guy.  Saw him a few years ago at Angelo's in Little Italy sitting at a table with Louie C.

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Matt Brust actually transfered from UNC not a JUCO

boo3

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
Matt Brust actually transfered from UNC not a JUCO

That's right.  He had a brother that played for UNC also.   He was a great Johnny. They don't make players like that anymore it seems. 100% hard work and hustle. I'll take 5 guys like him everyday of the week.

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
I liked him too. Ironically both Fun and PMG who do not agree on anything both hated him.

desco80

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
I'm a little younger than some on this board, 28, so I'm coming at it from a different perspective - but Matty Brust was the basketball player I looked up to when I was growing up.   Somewhere in my parents house is a photo of Brust holding a 6 year old Desco on his shoulders after a game at Alumni Hall....

Hard to see how anyone could hate the guy.  But then again I didn't know enough at the time to really break down his game

boo3

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
I'm a little younger than some on this board, 28, so I'm coming at it from a different perspective - but Matty Brust was the basketball player I looked up to when I was growing up.   Somewhere in my parents house is a photo of Brust holding a 6 year old Desco on his shoulders after a game at Alumni Hall....

Hard to see how anyone could hate the guy.  But then again I didn't know enough at the time to really break down his game

Yeah, neither do I.   I did not know him personally, but from a hoops perspective, not much to hate on.  Gave his heart and soul to St. John's while he was on the court.

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »
Harrison's jumper is ugly, but I think he's the least of our problems.  In fact, I've actually been surprised by his game in a good way.  Thought of him out of HS as just a 3 point threat, but I think he's shown the ability to hurt the opposition with his dribble-drive and mid-range game.  Yes, he can get better but I think DeAngelo has been a bright spot.  A legit Big East player, IMO. 

Poison

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »

I'm only slightly disappointed. And that's usually when I forget to tell myself that he's just a freshman. He's had some really bad games, but it's not like they had the option to sit him down, and rely on someone else. The kid has to play through everything.

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

I'm only slightly disappointed. And that's usually when I forget to tell myself that he's just a freshman. He's had some really bad games, but it's not like they had the option to sit him down, and rely on someone else. The kid has to play through everything.

Hey I can quote from home. As far as Harrison it is not his shooting % that I am disappointed in but the way he shoots. If he had a nice stroke and was missing I would not be concerned. His shot is funny looking and he shoots a line drive. Just for perspective, I missed the game when Avery Patterson hit 8 threes or whatever early in his season. These boards were raving about him. Then I saw that 8 year old girl push shot  of his and I knew we were in trouble.

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
I don't see the push shot, nor have I noticed a lot of blocked shots.  He does shoot a line drive but I think he has great form.  I've noticed that he has been rushing his shot.  As he plays more and develops more poise at this level, I think he will be an excellent shooter.

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
Thing about Matt Brust ay St J's was that he was the best player on the team when he should have been the 7th or 8th best player. Those were some lian years talent wise.

boo3

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
Thing about Matt Brust ay St J's was that he was the best player on the team when he should have been the 7th or 8th best player. Those were some lian years talent wise.

True.  But i remember that team being very competitive playing solid basketball.  I think that team over achieved that year because expectations were kind of low. I'm basing this post off of pure memory so i could be way off. 

Poison

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »

He was never our best player.

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »

He was never our best player.
But he was team leader and maybe our most featured player but agree his heart was bigger than his talent. Also had a lot of talent at the bar scene. :)

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:47 PM »

Lean years?
Jayson, Boo, Malik, Werdann?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:51:33 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.