Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies

Moose

Dropped 28 tonight, big chris had 13 & 13 (Blocks)

Was gonna do big post but I'll keep this in the Felix thread.  Impressed hell out of me tonight. He might have missed 2 or 3 shots the whole night.  He was hitting jumpers too not like it was all dunks, even though he gets his head above the rim.  You can tell him and Obekpa have a rapport on the court.  They look for eachother real well.  He sold me tonight.

You have to add somewhere in the vicinity of 15-18 boards for Obekpa.  Tom Konchalski turned to me and my friend at one point and said he had 9, 14 and 11.  And then he added two monsterous dunks and some more boards and blocks after.  Obekpa totally sold me tonight as well.  I was lukewarm to start with him, but tonight.  In a guards tournament he was able to make an impact.  Might have maybe had 2 fouls only.  His blocks come one and one, help and most importantly to me sometimes in succession. He would block one and then the follow up as well.  I don't get nervous when he has the ball.  I don't want him dribbling coast to coast but he can grab the board and take a few dribbles to start the break.

*Side note Kimani Young was coaching the Rodney Abrams/New Heights team with Obekpa and Felix.

Moose:
When Balamou first signed I had him pegged as a spot duty fifth guard. Does he look like he could be the fourth guard in what most of us assume will be a Branch/Harrison/Green-heavy backcourt?

Yes definitely.
Remember who broke the Slice news

derk

Was gonna do big post but I'll keep this in the Felix thread.  Impressed hell out of me tonight. He might have missed 2 or 3 shots the whole night.  He was hitting jumpers too not like it was all dunks, even though he gets his head above the rim.  You can tell him and Obekpa have a rapport on the court.  They look for eachother real well.  He sold me tonight.

You have to add somewhere in the vicinity of 15-18 boards for Obekpa.  Tom Konchalski turned to me and my friend at one point and said he had 9, 14 and 11.  And then he added two monsterous dunks and some more boards and blocks after.  Obekpa totally sold me tonight as well.  I was lukewarm to start with him, but tonight.  In a guards tournament he was able to make an impact.  Might have maybe had 2 fouls only.  His blocks come one and one, help and most importantly to me sometimes in succession. He would block one and then the follow up as well.  I don't get nervous when he has the ball.  I don't want him dribbling coast to coast but he can grab the board and take a few dribbles to start the break.

*Side note Kimani Young was coaching the Rodney Abrams/New Heights team with Obekpa and Felix.

Moose:
When Balamou first signed I had him pegged as a spot duty fifth guard. Does he look like he could be the fourth guard in what most of us assume will be a Branch/Harrison/Green-heavy backcourt?

Yes definitely.

Good to know he's not just window dressing for CO. Thanks Moose

desco80

Really encouraging to read the scouting report on Balamou.   thanks Moose!
Like someone else said, I wasn't expecting much from him so that was good to hear.

Next up... The big men.   I'm excited to see how this shakes out in the next few weeks.

MCNPA

Moose:

Yes definitely.

Good to know he's not just window dressing for CO. Thanks Moose

The fact that this kid is a gamer is fantastic.  I trust Moose's opinion.  It certainly can't hurt to have Balamou in the Obekpa recruitment. 

Happy

Per Moose and Varsity insider.. Felix just won the MVP of the CYP tourney .

paultzman

“@LoHudInsider: All-tourney: boyd (Blaze); Jenkins (RA), Dobbinson, Fraiser (Blaze), obekpa, Balamou (RA); Reece Williams (Blaze)-sportsmanship. Balamou MVP”

The fact that he hit jumpers has to be a good sign. No one can question his athleticism but the knock on him from what i've heard has been he doesn't have alot of guard skills at this point. Encouraging to hear he hit some jumpers, hopefully he is making good progress on that aspect. Seems like a good guy who works hard, glad he's gonna be part of our future

Moose

His jumpshot is fine.  Another solid game tonight.  He had his ring and middle finger on his left hand taped tonight so shots werent dropping like last night but he still lead New Heights in scoring to victory.  Kid is fearless penetrating the lane.  Was roughed up good tonight with no fouls called but still drove, converted or missed and came back doing it again all within the context of the game.

Tiznow

Moose, thanks for the good first hand reports on Felix.  Konchalski's comments in zags are impressive too.  I'm looking forward to seeing this kid push the starters next season.  He's sounds like a kid with the right kind of attitude too.  I think he's going to work hard and will become a popular player here. 

Moose

Moose, thanks for the good first hand reports on Felix.  Konchalski's comments in zags are impressive too.  I'm looking forward to seeing this kid push the starters next season.  He's sounds like a kid with the right kind of attitude too.  I think he's going to work hard and will become a popular player here. 

To add, really good court demeanor.  As I mentioned he was getting pounded driving the lane and didn't whine or complain.  Then at a stoppage he calmly went up to the ref to talk to him and the ref appreciated that, you could tell.  His no nonsense attitude really reminds me of Horne.

kjd01067

To add, really good court demeanor.  As I mentioned he was getting pounded driving the lane and didn't whine or complain.  Then at a stoppage he calmly went up to the ref to talk to him and the ref appreciated that, you could tell.  His no nonsense attitude really reminds me of Horne.

I was going to ask you this the other day Moose but time got away from me, how would you compare Horne and Balamou?  From your descriptions they sound similar: athletic, decent jumper and constant motor.

Moose

I was going to ask you this the other day Moose but time got away from me, how would you compare Horne and Balamou?  From your descriptions they sound similar: athletic, decent jumper and constant motor.

Because of the gym size I couldn't  see just how deep Felix's range could go.  But again I have big issues with the over reliance on 3's in college basketball anyway.  He can stick the jumper from just inside the line.  All the other characteristics are there.  Felix is real smooth.

kjd01067

Because of the gym size I couldn't  see just how deep Felix's range could go.  But again I have big issues with the over reliance on 3's in college basketball anyway.  He can stick the jumper from just inside the line.  All the other characteristics are there.  Felix is real smooth.

Can he be a lock down defender like Horne was at the Big East level?

Moose

Can he be a lock down defender like Horne was at the Big East level?

Without question

Good write up on both in the Varsity Insider today:

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120328/SPORTS02/303280053/Duo-from-Africa-lead-Rodney-Abrams-CYP-title?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Varsity Central

Poison

Could Felix climb up in the final senior rankings?

ras

He sounds like one of the under the radar type guys who will end up playing better then his rankings.

Gumby

Good write up on both in the Varsity Insider today:

http://www.loud.com/article/20120328/SPORTS02/303280053/?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Varsity Central
It would be great to see these two guys play college ball together.

Marillac

He sounds like one of the under the radar type guys who will end up playing better then his rankings.

I'm very excited to see what he can do.  His ceiling is very high.  At the very least his athletic ability and defensive intensity will be provide depth that will wear down opponents.  Running athletes like Branch, Greene, Pointer, Garrett, Sampson at them and then pulling this kid from the end of the bench next year will break the backs of some opponents. 

I cant see Felix coming. Very few minutes at both guard spots to be had for the next few years