What is going on?

• 41 replies
What is going on?
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:23:12 AM »
It seems some people have forgotten, while others may not be a custom to the standards of JohnnyJungle.com. This site was founded to talk about basketball intelligently and civilly. You can disagree, discuss, and debate till your fingers get carpel tunnel but yours posts should reflect the topic not on the posters.

There has been way too much back and forth between a few posters. I've personally written a number of you guys privately to try and educate you and give the benefit of the doubt but I'm not sure that worked.

To the new guys, learn to co-exist, be here to talk about basketball not to rant, relentlessly whine, or be petty with other members of the community. This site is well organized to make reading the forums efficient and cluttering it with nonsense defeats that. If you can't figure it out there are other sites out there to discuss St. John's basketball. Being here is a privilege not right.

To the old guys, be more tolerant of new posters and don't be so quick to jump at bait or nonsense. You're better than that. Lead by example and the easiest way to defeat someone causing trouble is just to ignore or alert me.

To everyone don't be so quick to react to posts. Sometimes jokes are taken seriously and vice versa. Realize who the author of the post is and take stock in that.
I'm hoping everyone here will respect that. If not I've only had to do it once before but I have no issue ridding the person/people causing habitual problems. Lets not let it come to that.

Thanks

Dave
dek24@johnnyjungle.com
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Sometime I forget how bless we are to have this here site, what it mean, what it provide and how differnt it is from others where civility is a straight up dirty word.

Now let's talk ball!

I remain faithfully yours,
Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
Well stated Dave. Ever think of trying to straighten out Congress. Seriously, thanks for a great site!!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:46:55 AM »
Realfan has been banned.

His constant calling out of posters with repeated warnings and some racial comments he made are not something I want in this community. I don't want to ban/censor anyone but I don't want 1 person poisoning this community either.

Guys lets not let this happen again.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:26:58 AM »
Realfan has been banned.

His constant calling out of posters with repeated warnings and some racial comments he made are not something I want in this community. I don't want to ban/censor anyone but I don't want 1 person poisoning this community either.

Guys lets not let this happen again.

Calling out posters has been his bag for a decade, but racism, I have to say, I have not seen from him.

LJSA

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »
Calling out posters has been his bag for a decade, but racism, I have to say, I have not seen from him.

I wouldn't call it blatant racism, but he's definitely made more than one comment that led me to believe he is racist offline. I can say the same thing about a couple other posters, though.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:09:49 AM »
Sadly, while a true REAL fan of the program he just can't help himself and at various times has gotten himself banned from all of the St. John's boards on which he posted.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

I wouldn't call it blatant racism, but he's definitely made more than one comment that led me to believe he is racist offline. I can say the same thing about a couple other posters, though.

As could I. Which is why I was surprised to hear the reasoning.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »
I am not a fan of banning anyone outside of Scotch but I trust Dave and it's his field so he can make the rules. Realfan is annoying and in fact I once compared  his posts to a ransom note but honestly I never saw anything racial and on the old BEB it was like the wild west and you could say anything. 

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
Sadly, while a true REAL fan of the program he just can't help himself and at various times has gotten himself banned from all of the St. John's boards on which he posted.

Not only that, PMG....  The guy is probably one of the oldest, if not the oldest poster (60 years of age) on any of the boards, and acts like he's 8 years old.  Sheesh!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
Wait I thought everyone on Redmen.com was in their 80' ;Ds

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
Wait I thought everyone on Redmen.com was in their 80' ;Ds

LOL   Well, you might have a point.  Just teasing.  LOL 

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
Thank you for hearing our complaints. I imagine this site will now improve greatly and return to St. John's basketball fans and their love of alma mater as opposed to baiters whose mission it was to hit us while we are down.
As for RealFan, you did a community (as in SJ community) service by ridding him of his split-personality posts. His claim to being the guardian of "reality" was a smokescreen for his personal issues IMO. Sometimes people come off their medications too often and he appeared to be a prime example. I will not miss his negativism but I am sure he is busy logging on from another ISP under another name as is his modus operandi.
I may actually post here more often now:)

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
I don't think anyone who has been posting on the boards for a long time ever thought Realfan was wrong in his thoughts. It was the manner in which they were presented that drove everyone nuts and as MJM has repeatedly pointed out, his disappearances after anything remotely postivie were odd to say the least.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
I don't think anyone who has been posting on the boards for a long time ever thought Realfan was wrong in his thoughts. It was the manner in which they were presented that drove everyone nuts and as MJM has repeatedly pointed out, his disappearances after anything remotely postivie were odd to say the least.

PMG, his disappearances showed what a real fan he was!  He is a very angry bird who swooped down like a vulture as soon as we lost a game. For all his negativity he acted as if St. John's should not have lost ANY games while at the same time explaining why we sucked from the coaches to the players.
I have no problem with fans critiquing game plans, poor play and coaching mistakes, as perceived by amateur observers such as we who likely never played or coached a game in our lives .... At least not at the D1 level, but to be vile about it was unnecessary.

boo3

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
 FWIW-  I will no longer go after posters that say stupid stuff.  I just find it hard to keep quiet when people attack other posters, or players and coaches and don't back it up with anything.  If your going to challenge someone, at least back it up.

As far as the game threads go, i will simply remove myself if the nonsense continues.  No more attacks.  I apologize to the board for going a bit overboard against Ill Will. I enjoy watching the games and commenting on it with other fans, especially when i can't make many games anymore. But, I like to talk about the actual game, strategy, etc..  not hear about how this guy sucks, the program is in shambles, we are idiots for blindly following Lavin.   

One more point.  I have never complained to any mods or Dave about anyone on this site.  Never have, never will.

Carry on. 

DFF6

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
Having off the wall opinions is fine, and even fun, to have on these boards (e.g., some of Baldi's posts  ;)). 

However, in an open forum such as this terrific site, there must be a certain decorum observed by all posters to ensure that vigorously defended opinions do not turn into personal and inappropriate attacks.  Oftentimes, Realfan's post seemed to turn into (if not start as) the latter category.   

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Guys I really don't want to turn this into a roast or debate about realfan. I wanted to make you all aware of what's going on and why. I felt the culture of JohnnyJungle was beginning to stray from the excellence that's been here since the start in 2007.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
Having off the wall opinions is fine, and even fun, to have on these boards (e.g., some of Baldi's posts  ;)). 

However, in an open forum such as this terrific site, there must be a certain decorum observed by all posters to ensure that vigorously defended opinions do not turn into personal and inappropriate attacks.  Oftentimes, Realfan's post seemed to turn into (if not start as) the latter category.   

+1

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »
Realfan has been banned.

The banning of books and posters is never ideal.  The 1st amendment is often inconvenient and not very pretty but I like it.