D'Angelo is really really tough

• 80 replies

derk

Re: D'Angelo is really really tough
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
Brother was a lil outta control after he got hit in the head by Truck. Was close to getting T'ed and started jawing a lil bit on the sidelines wit some of his teammates cause he was so mad.

Yes Choz, I like our aggressiveness as a team but D Lo needs to reign it in a bit.

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
Brother was a lil outta control after he got hit in the head by Truck. Was close to getting T'ed and started jawing a lil bit on the sidelines wit some of his teammates cause he was so mad.

Just a young and passionate player riding the fine line of fierce competitor and loose cannon.  He's a youngster and methinks he'll continue to reel it in as he gets older, learns from the staff and advances his bball career here at SJU.  The young tiger just needs time to grow.  With that said, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Love the passion and fire.   Those guys will sink you because they think that you don't deserve to be on the court with them.  Still waters don't run deep with D'Angelo.  More like whitewater rapids...  I'm enjoying every minute watching a kid who loves to play the game and rip your heart out on the court.

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
I spotted this very early on as this is what I wrote in the My Favorite Player thread on Nov. 8:

"Harrison seems a long shot so far as, although I won't render final judgement based on one real game and one D3 exhibition, he seems to be a bit of a punk.  He took a clean hard foul against St. Mary's and jumped up barking in the opponents face drawing a well deserved technical.  Yesterday, the same thing happened and it looked like he was going to respond the same way but G*d'sgift gave him an extended Paulie and Vinnie like bromance hug which diffused the situation."

But now that he's proven himself beyond our wildest expectations I say don't change a thing!  Just keep doing what you're doing till your rightfully placed on the BE all-rookie team. 

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
Sometimes our greatest asset can also be our greatest weakness
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Dude is always on the floor going for lose balls. He's gotta be my favorite player.

Did you also see when he was taken out near the end of the 1st half? He didn't sit, he was standing up cheering on.

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
Dude is always on the floor going for lose balls. He's gotta be my favorite player.

Did you also see when he was taken out near the end of the 1st half? He didn't sit, he was standing up cheering on.

Reminds me of John Starks a bit. How can you not like a kid like this? IF hes here for 4 years, think he might break the record for points scored?

boo3

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »

Reminds me of John Starks a bit. How can you not like a kid like this? IF hes here for 4 years, think he might break the record for points scored?

Definitely.  He will play in the NBA i think.  I'm thinking Jason Terry type player at the next level (  ceiling)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:24:23 PM by boo3 »

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »

Definitely.  He will play in the NBA i think.  I'm thinking Jason Terry type player at the next level (  ceiling)

The NBA isn't kind to 6'1-6'4 combo guards.  I think he ends up playing a few years in the league, but he'll need all four years.  Terry is a much better athlete and has a pg handle. 

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »

The NBA isn't kind to 6'1-6'4 combo guards.  I think he ends up playing a few years in the league, but he'll need all four years.  Terry is a much better athlete and has a pg handle. 

JJ Reddick? Think Harrison can be similar?

boo3

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »

I agree with you. Harrison still has three more years to improve though.  Imagine that!

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »
I think Harrison is a 4 year player just due to athleticism which is kind of awesome because can you imagine D-Lo and Greene as seniors? 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »
Throw in Dom and Amir and that will be some team.

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »

That is what makes me just chuckle watching these kids now.  The youngest team in the country will turn into the most experienced team in the country, and it is just going to be outright scary.  Harrison already plays like he's an upperclassman. 

When I think of Mo and Harrison...I think were are so blessed to have two unusually ready freshman.  Then I think of Phil Greene and his flashes of brilliance, the ability to penetrate, stroke it, d's up all the time, freak athlete, competitor.  But that's not it...still have a top 30 stud defender/athlete in Pointer and top 75 stud defender/athlete in Garrett.  Then there is still the #51 recruit, a stud PG in street clothes.  An embarrassment of riches!

MCNPA

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »

That is what makes me just chuckle watching these kids now.  The youngest team in the country will turn into the most experienced team in the country, and it is just going to be outright scary.  Harrison already plays like he's an upperclassman. 

When I think of Mo and Harrison...I think were are so blessed to have two unusually ready freshman.  Then I think of Phil Greene and his flashes of brilliance, the ability to penetrate, stroke it, d's up all the time, freak athlete, competitor.  But that's not it...still have a top 30 stud defender/athlete in Pointer and top 75 stud defender/athlete in Garrett.  Then there is still the #51 recruit, a stud PG in street clothes.  An embarrassment of riches!

It really is.  Anybody notice how Amir looked a ton better tonight too?  Midrange game coming it and seems more comfortable handling the ball.  Sir'Dom is a weapon in defensive glass an in transition.  We just need a few bugs to help on the glass.  Would love Obekpa because he's a freak shotblocker and would add a different dimension to our defense in the half-court as well as transition. 

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
even with all the BS this team and program are going through, it's nice to see Dlo keeping a positive mindset, with an eye towards the future.  with some help next year, Dlo and Mo will be much better.

On playing with a few guys:
"It's tough, but I feel like it's going to help because next year, we'll have as much experience as some four-year guys with the minutes we play. I'm definitely not happy we're going through this, but on the bright side it helps. We're going to be ready for next year, but we've got Georgetown tomorrow and we've got to be ready for each and every game to try and win out."

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
A true warrior, and will go down as one of the greats in St. John's hoops history. All the guys who stick with coach and program will be rewarded. Hang tough the next few weeks and good luck to the fresh five, GG and Jamal.

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
If he stays healthy for 4 years he will come extremely close to Mullin's scoring record.

boo3

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
 I wonder how many points Mullin would have scored with a 3 pt basket?

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
The things about D'Angelo and our squad in general that I think are underrated are the intangibles.  These kids, Harrison leading the way, are ridiculously competitive.  They are also defensive-minded.  The most important intangible might be that they are smart.  3-Lo is a SMART basketball player...he doesn't always show it with his shot selection, but he is well beyond his years.   Mo as well.  Garrett also has this calm intensity about him that makes me believe he is going to get under the skin of every opponent...the kind of kid that doesn't need to be pounding his chest and screaming like an idiot to have the eye of the tiger. 

The difference between Sidiki Johonson and Zena Edosomwan might be impossible to tell on paper, but give me Edosomwan any day of the week.  I can't stand kids that hang their heads on the court and pout like 13 year old girls that weren't allowed to buy a dress they wanted:  I'm talking to you Ledo. 

Man, if we landed Shepard and Edosomwan, we'd have a roster filled with smart, competive and defensive-minded kids.  That's what championships are made of.  Parga is in that same mold according to the articles. 

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
The things about D'Angelo and our squad in general that I think are underrated are the intangibles.  These kids, Harrison leading the way, are ridiculously competitive.  They are also defensive-minded.  The most important intangible might be that they are smart.  3-Lo is a SMART basketball player...he doesn't always show it with his shot selection, but he is well beyond his years.   Mo as well.  Garrett also has this calm intensity about him that makes me believe he is going to get under the skin of every opponent...the kind of kid that doesn't need to be pounding his chest and screaming like an idiot to have the eye of the tiger. 

The difference between Sidiki Johonson and Zena Edosomwan might be impossible to tell on paper, but give me Edosomwan any day of the week.  I can't stand kids that hang their heads on the court and pout like 13 year old girls that weren't allowed to buy a dress they wanted:  I'm talking to you Ledo. 

Man, if we landed Shepard and Edosomwan, we'd have a roster filled with smart, competive and defensive-minded kids.  That's what championships are made of.  Parga is in that same mold according to the articles.

Edosomwan is twice the athlete Sidiki is.  Sidiki is a bit of a plodder.  Athletic enough, but not near the athlete Edosomwan is.  Look st Zena's ballislife clips and you can see what type of athlete he is.