What would perception be?

• 66 replies
Re: What would perception be?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Every team plays cup cakes. What we didn't have very many of this year is the mid major game. I count one. Detroit.

Poison, what about Lehigh, W&M and Northeastern?

Those are not mid majors in my opinion. In my opinion, a mid major plays in a middle of the pack conference, but usually performs like a major conference team. Hence mid-major.
St.Mary's, Gonzaga, Temple, BYU, Southern Illinois, Wichita State, Detroit, VCU, George Mason and Creighton to name a few fit that bill for me.

I like the team Lehigh has this year, and I think they have a very good chance of winning their conference tournament, but they are a small school from a small conference that hasn't been a 20-25 game winner on average, and they haven't upset high major teams annually like Temple and St.Joe's have done.

If Lehigh is a mid major, then who isn't a mid major? Again, this is a matter of opinion. I'm sure others will have one, too.

Understood.  I was basing my opinion of what constitutes a mid-major team by considering only the conferences from which commonly accepted mid-major schools play (e.g., Big Sky, Colonial, Missouri Valley, etc.).

You would be right, unless you make up your own definition of mid-major like Poison did.  It's not really a matter of opinion.  William & Mary is an awful team and Northeastern not too good but they're in a mid major conference so they're a mid major.  CAA will very often put multiple teams in the dance.  That's where the dividing line between mid major and low major lies.  Not sure I'd say the same for Lehigh.  Low major one bid conference even if a team like Lehigh or Bucknell can surprise once a decade in March.

I cannot take credit for this POV. It's Billy Packer's, and I happen to agree with it. I know a lot of people that don't.

From your take, my question how do you determine who a low major is? That's a term that I'm not as familiar with. If you play in the Northeast Conference, what is major about that? To me, that is the clearest definition of a cup cake. As far as William & Mary go, I personally can't give them mid major status, because there is nothing major about anything they've ever done as far as I know. They need to earn that label, and they have not. I think Northeastern was a mid major when Reggie Lewis played there.

I don't think it's fair to automatically dub a team a mid major or low major just because they play in a certain conference. Cincinnati played in conference USA along with several other programs that were never considered high major programs, but Cincinnati, no matter how you slice it, is not an historic program, but a major one as well.

Some fans here would take a win over Fordham, and give us credit for beating a A10 team. (Technically we did) But is Fordham a mid major? When we beat them 2 years ago at Alumni Hall,
I think they would have required significant improvement just to be considered a D1 team. But if you follow a system where a conference awards credit, then they are. To me, that win was less impressive than any other win SJU had that season.

No worries.  A lot of people erroneously hold the same beliefs including intellectual giants like Packer who by himself probably started the unfortunate trend.

Re your point on low major here's the thing.  Div 1A is major college basketball, SWAC or SEC.  Everything else (D11, DIII, NAIA) is minor.  That said I agree the term low-major isn't used that much.  Traditionally the designations are as follows:

Power Conference = BCS
Mid Major Conference = Conferences that often or regularly have sent multiple teams to the dance.  In other words conferences from which teams could get a bid as an at-large
One Bid Conference = Conferences that never or very rarely would have a team get into the dance as an at-large

If you play in a Power Conference you are a power conference team whether you are Duke or Penn State.
Same with mid major whether you are Gonzaga or William and Mary.

There are good Power Conference teams and bad, good mid-majors and bad.  Re Cincy, remember CUSA's designs were always to become a power/BCS conference by proving themselves on the gridiron but they never quite made it before the BE started stealing their best two sport programs so Cincy was in a tough position and the definitions probably weren't as clear for that conference then as it is for all conferences now.

So as far as William and Mary goes if you don't consider them a mid major just because they're one of the five D1 teams to never make the dance does that mean you don't consider Northwestern a Power Conference team? 

These designations for these teams are traditionally and rightfully or wrongfully defined by their affiliations more than who they actually are.  Packer had a problem with it but then again he had a problem with multi-syllabic words and we all still use them.

Individual team performance is not dictated by what level of conference you are in but rather by your specific talents and achievements and is better measured by things like the RPI.  RPI says mid-major or not Willam & Mary are one of the worst teams in the country, Detroit's pretty bad and Northeastern is almost mediocre and I tend to agree with them on these assessments.

desco80

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »
We're also getting a "break" in terms of UCLA being very down this year, otherwise that's another potential top 10 team that we would have to play in the middle of conference play. 

Our schedule is fine in my eyes.  It was challenging and got us a lot of exposure, and will continue to.   The early season tournament was in essence a series of home games. 

Plus, from a purely selfish standpoint I enjoy having tickets to home games against UCLA, Duke last year, and Kentucky next season.   

Is Kentucky on the schedule for next season?  I don't think so.  That game was part of the SEC/BE challenge.  Return games aren't guaranteed.  It could happen but it will be at the whim of ESPN and the conference leadership.

We should get a home game though and it is doubtful that they schedule Kentucky for us twice.

It would be great to get a home and home with Kentucky every year as I am not sure the UCLA match up with continue past this season.

You guys are both correct, my mistake.   Kentucky was part of that SEC/BE challenge, so it's doubtful we'll see them again.  Maybe we get to host Florida next season, I wouldn't mind seeing that game at MSG. 

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

I have referred to the website below when confused about whether a school fell under the "mid major" category. 

http://www.midmajortop25.com/

If you go to the bottom of the page, there's a key that tells you what conferences are deemed "mid major" conferences for polling the top 25 mid major schools. 

Thanks for the link.  For that polls purposes it certainly makes sense to include One-bid conferences in the "mid-major" poll.  Does no harm to recognize all teams from non power conferences in their poll.   That said there's no way the America East is a mid major conference.

FWIW they don't appear to include the following conferences.   CUSA, Mountain West, A-10.  I disagree with that.

Then again by those terms Fordham is a Power Conference victory.  Sure it is.  A win against Temple or Dayton or Xavier is usually going to be a high quality win bu that doesn't make the A10 a high major conference, same for Memphis and CUSA and UNLV and the Mountain West.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:19:31 PM by yankcranker »

DFF6

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »

I have referred to the website below when confused about whether a school fell under the "mid major" category. 

http://www.midmajortop25.com/

If you go to the bottom of the page, there's a key that tells you what conferences are deemed "mid major" conferences for polling the top 25 mid major schools. 

Thanks for the link.  For that polls purposes it certainly makes sense to include One-bid conferences in the "mid-major" poll.  Does no harm to recognize all teams from non power conferences in their poll.   That said there's no way the America East is a mid major conference.

Makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.  Your post before your last was terrific.  Your comment about Packer's inability to use multi-syllabic words had me laughing out loud.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I think it's a season by season thing. UNLV wasn't a mid major when they were beating ranked teams by 45 points in 1990, but soon after that, they became a mid major. St.John's whether we admit or not was a mid major under Norm Roberts. We had mid major talent. Sometimes we even had low major talent.

It has to go further than your address. Just because Northwestern plays in the Big 10, doesn't mean that they are a high major program. Actually, historically, they are worse than Hofstra, Manhattan, Iona & Wagner. And it's not even close.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:11:51 PM by Poison »

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
All this mid major business is foolishness I attribute to the 5 or 6 major football playing conferences. Am I to believe that Butler,Gonzaga and Xavier are mid major for that matter can I include the whole A 10 as mid majors? 

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
All this mid major business is foolishness I attribute to the 5 or 6 major football playing conferences. Am I to believe that Butler,Gonzaga and Xavier are mid major for that matter can I include the whole A 10 as mid majors? 

If you go by the book, Butler is a mid major.