@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

DFF6

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
I responded to another post!
Do you really believe that no one else is questioning the Lavin situation? If Lavin comes back next year I think ultimately the program will be fine. I am not doom and gloom, but things are not good right now and there are many questions regarding the program. I am sorry that until my post these questions did not pierce whartever fantasy land you reside in.

WASJU, I appreciate that you are merely venting your thoughts, and are not looking to convince others to consider your thoughts as the likely outcome of events (e.g., Lavin will not be coming back to coach, period).  But if we're all just "thinking", let's try to reason out your thinking.  Start with the premise that Lavin & Chiles are, in fact, going around the country recruiting kids to SJU for next year and beyond. Also assume that Lavin understands, given his successful recruiting track record, that he is selling SJU with him as the coach.  To think otherwise would assume that Lavin is either (i) telling the recruits that someone other than him will be coaching at SJU (this is not likely as word of Lavin's message would have likely surfaced by now) or (ii) gambling that the recruits on which he has expended a large deal of time and energy will not de-commit once it is revealed that Lavin will not be coaching at SJU (again, given Lavin's experience around the game, and his experience at SJU specifically, I don't think Lavin takes this gamble).  So, in my opinion, for your gut to be correct in this regard, all of the recruits and people that Lavin has contacted for the last several months have done a great job of keeping secret Lavin's true plans regarding his time with SJU or Lavin is literally betting the house that his recruits will not care if Lavin is the coach of the team when they're ready to play ball.  Sorry, but I'm not seeing it.

ras

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
IMO Lavin is spending so much time on the recruitinig trail because he knows we NEED a couple more pieces and depth. His long term goal is national prominance. Why would someone who has a medical problem bust his butt if he isnt coming back. As mentioned before any recruit would be able to get out of LOI if Lavin does not come back . Why would Lavin waste his time and effort?

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
Funny how some y'all still dont understand how hard it is when you is in front of thousands of peoples, wit TV cameras on you, wit players you gotta coach, wit a staff you gotta lead....

......and there aint a toilet around and you cant control yo water too good.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
Funny how some y'all still dont understand how hard it is when you is in front of thousands of peoples, wit TV cameras on you, wit players you gotta coach, wit a staff you gotta lead....

That's what it is. Choz is right.

sju89tr

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

Some posters will imply that the toilets would more accessible on the west coast LOL   

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
WASJU, I appreciate that you are merely venting your thoughts, and are not looking to convince others to consider your thoughts as the likely outcome of events (e.g., Lavin will not be coming back to coach, period).  But if we're all just "thinking", let's try to reason out your thinking.  Start with the premise that Lavin & Chiles are, in fact, going around the country recruiting kids to SJU for next year and beyond. Also assume that Lavin understands, given his successful recruiting track record, that he is selling SJU with him as the coach.  To think otherwise would assume that Lavin is either (i) telling the recruits that someone other than him will be coaching at SJU (this is not likely as word of Lavin's message would have likely surfaced by now) or (ii) gambling that the recruits on which he has expended a large deal of time and energy will not de-commit once it is revealed that Lavin will not be coaching at SJU (again, given Lavin's experience around the game, and his experience at SJU specifically, I don't think Lavin takes this gamble).  So, in my opinion, for your gut to be correct in this regard, all of the recruits and people that Lavin has contacted for the last several months have done a great job of keeping secret Lavin's true plans regarding his time with SJU or Lavin is literally betting the house that his recruits will not care if Lavin is the coach of the team when they're ready to play ball.  Sorry, but I'm not seeing it.

Even if coach was planning on stepping down, I think he is loyal and would like to leave the program in good shape and put Dunlap in a good position to succeed. If coach is willing to put himself through travel and recruiting, I think based on what has been going on with the program he would have come back to the bench. I think he should come back when he is able but sooooo much has been made of his being away recruiting and being the "GM" that it all seems staged to me.

boo3

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
  Just to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Is it possible that the fact we have had a few de-commits, as well as the fact that no one has yet to sign up for next year, is a direct result of Lavin not coming right out and telling these kids and their families, definitively , that he will be on the sidelines next year?

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Hollywood should return just in the nic of time for the Bruins.  Espn headline story and Lin gets pushed to the second page for a day (or two).  It's perfect and a publicists wet dream.

DFF6

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »

Even if coach was planning on stepping down, I think he is loyal and would like to leave the program in good shape and put Dunlap in a good position to succeed. If coach is willing to put himself through travel and recruiting, I think based on what has been going on with the program he would have come back to the bench. I think he should come back when he is able but sooooo much has been made of his being away recruiting and being the "GM" that it all seems staged to me.

I hear you on the "staged" aspect of it, but then to be an effective GM, you'd think that Lavin would need to lay the groundwork during his recruiting efforts of the new capacity in which Lavin expects to occupy at SJU going forward (e.g., more of a GM/master recruiter, than a traditional head coach).  This goes to my point (i) above. If not, then Lavin is taking a big gamble (my point (ii) above) that the recruits won't care that he's only a GM, and not a true head coach once they get here.

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »

Is it possible that the fact we have had a few de-commits, as well as the fact that no one has yet to sign up for next year, is a direct result of Lavin not coming right out and telling these kids and their families, definitively , that he will be on the sidelines next year?

Was part my thought process

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
Lin gets pushed to the second page for a day (or two).  It's perfect and a publicists wet dream.

Not unless Lavin comes back with Kate Upton as his new bench coach.
LINSANITY!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
What would be the point of recruiting? Why not announce it now if he wasn't coming back? To me, all signs point to him coming back. He just said he's getting 5 recruits. He just created a twitter with the name STJCoachLavin. He has actually said at many times that he IS coming back. Nuri was a head case, Stith realized he would get NO PT next year. Gathers was "persuaded" by Baylor. Some people are just naturally pessimists, and will take any negative rumor they hear from any "source" and run with it.

Choz knows what he's talking about.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:13:15 PM by redstorm212 »

DFF6

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »

If true, Lavin has bet the farm that he can sell SJU to the recruits without commiting to be the coach.  If it works, it could start a new trend in CBB.  If not, these boards will be "flaming" with frustration.   ;)

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
Lin gets pushed to the second page for a day (or two).  It's perfect and a publicists wet dream.

Not unless Lavin comes back with Kate Upton as his new bench coach.
LINSANITY!!!!!!

That's the girl we watched do the "Dougie" a coupla weeks back?

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
If true, Lavin has bet the farm that he can sell SJU to the recruits without commiting to be the coach.  If it works, it could start a new trend in CBB.  If not, these boards will be "flaming" with frustration.   

Though we all know the reality is different, the NCAA makes it pretty clear the kid is playing for a school, not the coach. Like I said even if he does not come back I think coach does not want to leave the school in a bad way. If a kid agrees to play for coach and coach decides not to coach it still puts Dunlap or next coach with a foot in the door for the recruit. Again this is all speculation. If I had to bet I would say coach is not 100% sure what he is going to do. As per my original quote I said there is a chance coach is not coming back at all. I would not be shocked if he came back next year but would not be shocked if he didn't. I would be shocked if he came back this season.

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

WASJU
Go and talk to people that have had prostate cancer surgery, from what I'm told peeing immediately is the biggest issue.  If you can't get to a bathroom it's  going to come out anyway.  Control is the issue, you lose it after surgery. The way Lavin ran around during those four games must have set him back months for a normal recovery.  The other issue is the newer procedure to preserve the nerves so you can still have sex.  I have little knowledge on this procedure and the after effects, but if running and jumping around on the sidelines meant I was killing any chance of it working unless I stopped doing that for an extended period of time, it's pretty obvious what I and  most of us would do.

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:14 PM »
That's the girl we watched do the "Dougie" a coupla weeks back?

Look at page 3 of the NY Post today.
I think if I had a choice I would pick being Mark Sanchez instead of Eli. Sure I would be a noodle armed QB who stares down his receiving targets but geesh Kate Upton sure looks like fun!

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
WASJU
Go and talk to people that have had prostate cancer surgery, from what I'm told peeing immediately is the biggest issue.  If you can't get to a bathroom it's  going to come out anyway.  Control is the issue, you lose it after surgery. The way Lavin ran around during those four games must have set him back months for a normal recovery.  The other issue is the newer procedure to preserve the nerves so you can still have sex.  I have little knowledge on this procedure and the after effects, but if running and jumping around on the sidelines meant I was killing any chance of it working unless I stopped doing that for an extended period of time, it's pretty obvious what I and  most of us would do.

I am not doubting his reasons for not coaching this season. To me this "he is out recruiting" and the blowing smoke up Dunlap's arse just seems "fake" to me. Are they currently updates about Calhoun's status daily. I have said all along a simple "coach will be back when he is ready" would have sufficed. Everything just seems to "staged". Would have made more sense to me if he was not out recruiting as well as not coaching. That is my opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:33:57 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
WASJU

I am not doubting his reasons for not coaching this season. To me this "he is out recruiting" and the blowing smoke up Dunlap's arse just seems "fake" to me. Are they currently updates about Calhoun's status daily. I have said all along a simple "coach will be back when he is ready" would have sufficed. Everything just seems to "staged". Would have made more sense to me if he was not out recruiting as well as not coaching. That is my opinion anyway.

ras

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

He got branch to commit.