• 576 replies

Poison

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #420 on: June 14, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
BC isn't a pushover?

Chilleb

« Reply #421 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
Corre me if I'm wrong but that whole Murray state team I returning right? Canaan and all?

paultzman

« Reply #422 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Article underscores hard wok that resulted in landing this class, not a "Pulling rabbit out of hat process"!

“@AdamZagoria: Column: Cancer Recovery Enabled Lavin to Pull Off Recruiting Coup... http://t.co/ADir88gS #stjbb”
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:01:54 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #423 on: June 14, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
BC isn't a pushover?

You're right, they're pretty awful. 

desco80

« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Anybody else notice this quote from coach Lavin in the 'Zags article about the recruiting class ?

“I recall being on the phone with JaKarr Sampson’s mother, Dawnette, the day after my surgery. The notion that we made a sudden comeback, or scrambled to pull a rabbit out of the hat this spring is not the least bit accurate."

Interesting considering all the ups and downs we talk about here... we're in with Jakarr, we're out; Cinci leads for Chris, we're back in the picture...

Apparently it wasn't as much of a roller coaster as we may have thought.   
Interesting quote for sure.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/14/cancer-recovery-enabled-lavin-to-pull-off-recruiting-coup/

boo3

« Reply #425 on: June 14, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
Anybody else notice this quote from coach Lavin in the 'Zags article about the recruiting class ?

“I recall being on the phone with JaKarr Sampson’s mother, Dawnette, the day after my surgery. The notion that we made a sudden comeback, or scrambled to pull a rabbit out of the hat this spring is not the least bit accurate."

Interesting considering all the ups and downs we talk about here... we're in with Jakarr, we're out; Cinci leads for Chris, we're back in the picture...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/14/cancer-recovery-enabled-lavin-to-pull-off-recruiting-coup/

Lesson is-  Don't pay attention to any of the knuckleheads on these boards.. ;) 

Not surprised by the quote at all. Like many have said, what we , as fans , perceive is happening, and what is actually happening, are two entirely different things.

crgreen

« Reply #426 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »

Not surprised by the quote at all. Like many have said, what we , as fans , perceive is happening, and what is actually happening, are two entirely different things.

One of he west coast recruiting gurus has a saying - no matter how much fans want it to be and treat it as such, "recruiting isn't a spectator sport".

« Reply #427 on: June 15, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »

I said we were in a good position with him all along. Everyone questioned why when Zags and other media people started chirping about Providence and Kansas
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #428 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »

I said we were in a good position with him all along. Everyone questioned why when Zags and other media people started chirping about Providence and Kansas

Specifically about Kansas it was JaKarr who was chirping.  He tripped there for the Missouri game late in the season and he told Rivals that not only did he have a fantastic trip but that he was "close" to verbaling to Kansas. 

I agree that you were ultimately right and that it appeared JaKarr's heart was always with SJU but he and others publically gave signals throughout that were not as conclusive in terms of his eventual commitment to SJU.  There is nothing wrong with reporting that when it happened.

« Reply #429 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »

Specifically about Kansas it was JaKarr who was chirping.  He tripped there for the Missouri game late in the season and he told Rivals that not only did he have a fantastic trip but that he was "close" to verbaling to Kansas. 

I agree that you were ultimately right and that it appeared JaKarr's heart was always with SJU but he and others publically gave signals throughout that were not as conclusive in terms of his eventual commitment to SJU.  There is nothing wrong with reporting that when it happened.

Small correction, it was the scout.com article after his Kansas visit that had hiim admitting he thought about committing to Kansas:

“Yeah I kind of thought about committing I can’t lie, but I want to take my visits and that was my plan all along,” said Sampson.

While no visit has been set up yet, they will take place to Florida and Providence.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1162085.html

It turns out he never visited Florida or Providence before coming back in the fold with SJU.  But he publically maintained all along that he planned on doing those things.

« Reply #430 on: June 15, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
Murray State and Auburn are the last two additions to a group that includes St. John's, Baylor, Boston College, Charleston, Colorado and Dayton.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061312aaa.html

Charleston V BC

Baylor Vs Dayton

St Johns V Murray State

Colorado V Auburn.

Thats my guess for the matchups. Well have a chance to get 3 quality wins.

Yea, there are some dangerous matchups in this tournament.  Easy to overlook.
But obviously Baylor will be tough, but Murray State too, and Dayton and BC aren't pushovers either.   Colorado, Auburn, Charleston shouldn't be very good though.
Hope we get easier match-up in 1st round than Murray. BTW seating at the games in Charleston is on a first come first served basis from what I have read on website.

« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »
Looks like coach is planning on having a full roster

Steve Lavin ‏@STJCoachLavin
Class of 2012 will be comprised of 8 prospects who will join our 5 returnees making up a squad of 13 Johnnies. Gradually building momentum!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:17:36 AM by Redstormy80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »
Hmm.  Wood...Jones?  Or somebody else that is visiting this week?  Will be an interesting weekend....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:01:43 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #433 on: June 30, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »
q“@STJCoachLavin: @RedStormHoopsFa 
Mark Fratto will tweet details on #STJbb 2012 Class. Inch by inch gaining traction. Diligent and strategic approach.”

PIB

« Reply #434 on: June 30, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
This guy is relentless.

Stack chips is the motto.

Lavin is using his scholies very similarly to how CFB coaches use them in the sense that it is very seldom that schollies go unused.

This guy gets it. He wants to win and win now.

Make no mistake about it, Ws and Ls are the single most influential recruiting tool a coach can use. Couple that with NBA success stories -Lav has a slew of 'em- and we are ready to roll.

Hammer to Rock!

paultzman

« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
This guy is relentless.

Lavin is using his scholies very similarly to how CFB coaches use them in the sense that it is very seldom that schollies go unused.

Make no mistake about it, Ws and Ls are the single most influential recruiting tool a coach can use. Couple that with NBA success stories -Lav has a slew of 'em- and we are ready to roll.

Hammer to Rock!

+1
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:32:03 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
This guy is relentless.

Hammer to Rock!

+1

He's still not as good as Pitino, who gets two recruits for every scholly.  ;D

MCNPA

« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
This guy is relentless.

Hammer to Rock!

I don't mind using all of our ships this season.  We will have at least one to give next year and probably at least one more.  Lavin is dangerous with ships to give, which is why this isn't a worry any more. 

« Reply #438 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
We're operating on a heady level nowadays and most of our thinking is still mired in outdated convictions of what it takes to rise to the top.

Time to sit back and marvel at a master who knows how to get us there.

desco80

« Reply #439 on: June 30, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
We're operating on a heady level nowadays and most of our thinking is still mired in outdated convictions of what it takes to rise to the top.

Time to sit back and marvel at a master who knows how to get us there.

+1    It's a weird feeling to have faith in a coaching staff haha.    But you're absolutely right.  We can debate choice (a) or (b) .. but at the end of the day it's hard to argue with a a staff that actually knows what they're doing.