@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

ras

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #460 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
Hoopers father is in the music bus. and makes plenty of $.

« Reply #461 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

I don't doubt that Hooper and others could in theory pay their own way but that doesn't mean he will or is obligated to not accept a scholarship.  Lots of players on schollie could in theory pay their own way, not everyone comes from complete abject poverty.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:18:39 AM by fordham96 »

Poison

« Reply #462 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
“@STJCoachLavin: #STJbb Youth Movement continues as 2012-13 roster will have 11 underclassmen on scholarship. Likely youngest team in the country next season”

Perhaps preparing us to be patient.

I think it makes sense to under sell expectations. Especially in NY. The media coverage SJ will get because of Lavin will always keep expectations high. Still, it's sensible to want to be the team that surprises. All of us saw how expectations ruined Lopez, Z and TT.

It's a lot of pressure for a college kid to perform with the expectations of a professional, and that is what makes New York different than suburbia.

Poison

« Reply #463 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
Perhaps Gift is on an academic ride this coming season?

kjd01067

« Reply #464 on: July 03, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
We all knew that Wood was a longshot to qualify and it looks as if that is the case. I believe both gift and hooper are on athletic schollys and that makes sense with the 11 under classmen: Marco, Jones, obekpa, hooper, Sampson, felix, harrison, greene, amir, pointer and branch. To go along with the 2 upper classmen Gift and Sanchez.

« Reply #465 on: July 03, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
Lavin makes sure he mentions under scholarship. Maybe he is implying something, just taking a stab.

Also this is clarification that Marco is a sophomore.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
Lavin makes sure he mentions under scholarship. Maybe he is implying something, just taking a stab.

He could also just be referring to Jamal White who will be a Sr. And was on scholarship last year

Moose

« Reply #467 on: July 03, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

He could also just be referring to Jamal White who will be a Sr. And was on scholarship last year

Doubt its White.

11 underclassmen and 2 upperclassmen

Harrison
Greene
Dom
Amir
Obekpa
Jones
Marco
Hooper
Jakarr
Branch
Felix

Gift
Sanchez
Remember who broke the Slice news

kjd01067

« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
Yea Moose I wrote that same list above. My post was in reference to Lavin saying "on scholarship".  White won't be on scholarship this year and thought that could have been what he was referring to

desco80

« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Doubt its White.

11 underclassmen and 2 upperclassmen

Harrison
Greene
Dom
Amir
Obekpa
Jones
Marco
Hooper
Jakarr
Branch
Felix

Gift
Sanchez

Yep.  Agree with Moose and Kjd   Looks pretty straightforward to me.    But I think Lavin said Fratto would be tweeting more info about the recruits in the days ahead.   So we'll see soon enough.
I definitely would have liked to see Wood here though, but doesn't appear that's happening.

crgreen

« Reply #470 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »

I don't doubt that Hooper and others could in theory pay their own way but that doesn't mean he will or is obligated to not accept a scholarship.  Lots of players on schollie could in theory pay their own way, not everyone comes from complete abject poverty.

UCLA just gave a football full ride to Justin Combs, and he'll be driving to practice in a $360K Maybach.   He's Diddy's son.   

And Tim Floyd while at U$C had Percy Miller Jr. on scholarship for two years - aka Lil Romeo.  He didn't NEED dad Master P's bucks - had earned millions of his own - but still was on scholarship.

By the way - anyone know how that works in terms of NCAA infractions?   Can a teammate spend personal funds on other teammates?   I know there was a problem for Arizona when Bill Walton spent big bucks on an appartment and furnishings for son Luke when he was there - not because of Luke,  but Luke's roommate Richard Jefferson benefitted from the no rent and big buck furnishings.   But in a case like Romeo, or even here at SJU where Amir is getting his baseball dollars, if the player spends his OWN money on teammates, is that an infraction?

« Reply #471 on: July 24, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
Jay Wright @VUCoachJWright
4h
Steve Lavin in great health and back at it strong - proud of you!

Poison

« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »
4h

Classy thing to say. Way to go Jay.

« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Ive always liked Jay Wright. I remember he got screwed real bad once on a last second call and he took it exremely well. Plus hes a heck of a coach.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
4h

Classy thing to say. Way to go Jay.

+1

paultzman

« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Very decent guy who has done well at Hofstra and Nova. Humble, good sport and classy! Dresses a bit better than Rollie I would say!

LJSA

« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Very decent guy who has done well at Hofstra and Nova. Humble, good sport and classy! Dresses a bit better than Rollie I would say!

And he's Gonzalo's favorite coach! ;D

paultzman

« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »

Where is Gonzalo?

Moose

« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »

Where is Gonzalo?

Spain
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

Where is Gonzalo?

Spain

Wise guy!