Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies
Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
Losing Moe is definitely a blow to next years squad, but over time, this will only help us get back among the elite.

Consider this, Moe was #41 rated player (per Rivals).  He is currently the 15th to 21st prospect (depending on what draft source you care to use).  How many coaches can go into a non top 20 recruit and say, "In one year, I can make you a 1st round pick."

I looked back to 2003, and I don't see many instances where a guy ranked outside the top 20 is a one and done 1st round pick. 

The future is bright! 

In Lavin we trust...Hammer to Rock!

desco80

Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »
Losing Moe is definitely a blow to next years squad, but over time, this will only help us get back among the elite.

Consider this, Moe was #41 rated player (per Rivals).  He is currently the 15th to 21st prospect (depending on what draft source you care to use).  How many coaches can go into a non top 20 recruit and say, "In one year, I can make you a 1st round pick."

I looked back to 2003, and I don't see many instances where a guy ranked outside the top 20 is a one and done 1st round pick. 

The future is bright! 

In Lavin we trust...Hammer to Rock!

That's a good point and I don't disagree.  But just out of curiosity I tried to find a few.
Anthony Randolph and Deandre Jordan from the class of 07 were the best examples I could find. But I'm sure there's more out there,

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
Good catch on Randolph.  Jordan is a pro after only one year, but he was a 2nd round pick. 

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
IMO several recruiting announcements occur this week on heels of the Moe press conference.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
Don't care much for Rothstein, too over the top, but agree with his statement. That said, don't think JaKarr can rebound as well IMO.

“@JonRothstein: JaKarr Sampson should step in seamlessly for Moe Harkless next season. Should be better defensively, too. Think Chris Singleton.”

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »
Don't care much for Rothstein, too over the top, but agree with his statement. That said, don't think JaKarr can rebound as well IMO.

“@JonRothstein: JaKarr Sampson should step in seamlessly for Moe Harkless next season. Should be better defensively, too. Think Chris Singleton.”

Jakarr every bit the rebounder.  Moe smoother offensive player at this point.  Jakarr is a stud though, and unlike last year, Jakarr will have a more polished Amir and Sir'Domnext to him amongst other help in the frontcourt.  We will lose Moe but likely gain 6 including 4 frontcourt players. 

DFF6

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »

While I don't necessarily agree with Rothstein's assessment, it's another reason why Moe goes pro now--people telling him that he can't be sure how his production and/or perceived value gets affected by JaKarr.  This year, he was the man, along with D'Lo, and his numbers reflected that.  Next year, who knows?  Maybe JaKarr is considered by scouts to be the best NBA prospect in Queens.  Again, the thinking of take what's on the table now, rather than risk losing it by waiting until next year, rules the day.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:15:46 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »

I really like it when he starts commenting on the Italian Food along Arthur Ave in the Bronx.... MINT....!!

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

I really like it when he starts commenting on the Italian Food along Arthur Ave in the Bronx.... MINT....!!

Yeah, I heard the Scarpariello wings are fantastic... :2funny:

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
I really like the Singelton comparison.  Defensively, Jakkar is quite versatile.  In the few instances that I have seen him play, he had an uncanny nack of timing the passing lanes.  Moe is a better shooter, but struggled with his outside shot this year.  From what I have heard, Jakkar really improved his mid-range game this year.  Would still be nice to add a couple bigs and a couple shooters. 

crgreen

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Good catch on Randolph.  Jordan is a pro after only one year, but he was a 2nd round pick.

Mike Conley was outside the top 20 as a High Schooler.  #4 overall after 1 y ear.
Shawne Williams was the #17 pick after 1 year at Memphis.  Well out of the top 20 in HS.
Jamal Sampson made the jump after 1 year at Cal, but as a 2nd rounder.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
A few thoughts on the subject:

Sucks for the fans and next year's team obviously. No other way around that.

The reality is we are going to struggle next year as well. Team will be deeper but even if Sampson is as good as Harkless was as a frosh he will probably not be as good as a sophmore Harkless would have been.

I really enjoyed watching Moe play. Was the lone bright spot for me in an awful season really.

Kids going early is something we have to get adjusted to as opposed to kids staying 4 years or in Mase jr's case 12 years then playing in the Norm Developmental League.

You really can't fault kids for jumping for the cash, anyone who does is a hypocrite!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:49:52 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
As I mentioned, My source was rivals.  Rivals has Mike Conely listed as the #18 recruit.  Rivals has Shawne Williams listed as the#19 overall recruit.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2006
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2004

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Anthony-Randolph-42273

Was 12th ,I think you maybe on to something.

That is why I never understood why a top player  wants to play with 10 other mcd all americans.

Moe is a testament stand on your own two and you will be rewarded
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

desco80

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
Sorry, I was comparing ESPN's list, but you may be right .. it's tough to find guys outside of the top 20 who were one and done. 
Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton fit the bill, but they were just barely outside the top 20... 22 and 23.   

Definitely not typical.  Good for Moe

DFF6

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Sorry, I was comparing ESPN's list, but you may be right .. it's tough to find guys outside of the top 20 who were one and done. 
Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton fit the bill, but they were just barely outside the top 20... 22 and 23.   

All this effort to find examples comparable to Moe confirms Beamer's original point - you don't need to be a McD's All-American to play in Lavin's system to be a freshman first rounder.  That's a pretty powerful message to a lot of kids ranked between 21-60. 

Somewhat off topic, is Moe's scholly available for a 2012 recruit?

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »

All this effort to find examples comparable to Moe confirms Beamer's original point - you don't need to be a McD's All-American to play in Lavin's system to be a freshman first rounder.  That's a pretty powerful message to a lot of kids ranked between 21-60. 

Somewhat off topic, is Moe's scholly available for a 2012 recruit?

Not just Lavin's system, but Lavin's St. John's program that gets incredible media coverage. Harkless is very well known for a player who wasn't that big of a prospect and who played one year on a 6-12 in-conference record team.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:38:42 PM by 0404 »

Poison

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
This is a positive for SJ if they reload. If they don't, it's a disaster.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
This is a positive for SJ if they reload. If they don't, it's a disaster.

I think everyone will be happy with how they reload.
All along Lav has said 13 is the big year though.  But if the reloading comes to fruition Lav will not be announcing next year on CBS.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
I think everyone will be happy with how they reload.
All along Lav has said 13 is the big year though.  But if the reloading comes to fruition Lav will not be announcing next year on CBS.

Right now I don't see us as  a tourney team. I think we will struggle next year. As we  just saw even talented frosh will struggle. Even if the BE is watered down a bit next season.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:17:38 PM by we are sju »