Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies
Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
Chandler is the key. If he comes I think we'll be okay, but I still think its asking a lot to make the tournament-but that needs to be our and their expectation.

I don't want to sound mean but wow you've been so far off base lately. Sampson was the key then Sanchez makes it over the top good. Thats your starting front court next season. Chandler is the diamond in the rough, definitely the most talented 4 year eligible player left thats attainable.

This team will be top 25 next year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
between the core coming back minus moe plus a shooter and big man who are all skilled this team should definitely be a tournament team.  Our defincecies were really exposed last year between depth, shooting from outside and rebounding, and it seems as though the coaching staff has adressed that, well at least that's the feeling I'm getting.  This teams weaknesses become strengths.  More importantly guys due to depth can now play to their strengths like Garett pointer and Greene which should show how good they can be.  And if not, we now have 11 guys to choose from who can make us a winner.   Most importantly the biggest recruit, Lavin is back full time.

Moose

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
hey guys, not to beat a dead horse or be a pessimist but i have a question for those in the know.  Is it a better recruting ploy to sell "after one year we can get you drafted 15-25" or "after two years you can be a top 10 pick ala harkless".  Sorry if this was already asked.

Not the whole team but good to have a hired gun or two.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
Why is everyone making reference to Marco instead of Morris now??

ras

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
between the core coming back minus moe plus a shooter and big man who are all skilled this team should definitely be a tournament team.  Our defincecies were really exposed last year between depth, shooting from outside and rebounding, and it seems as though the coaching staff has adressed that, well at least that's the feeling I'm getting.  This teams weaknesses become strengths.  More importantly guys due to depth can now play to their strengths like Garett pointer and Greene which should show how good they can be.  And if not, we now have 11 guys to choose from who can make us a winner.   Most importantly the biggest recruit, Lavin is back full time.
You forgot another important ingrediant a bona fide PG w Branch. Plus they can play much more aggresive not being petrified of fouling out.

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
absolutely correct, branch is a huge component.  I felt at times this year when things got a little hectic when losing we had a tendency to try running up and down, tendencies these guys were used to in high school and aau.  Now with that pg one year older we will see much more composure when things get a little rough.

Poison

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
Chandler is the key. If he comes I think we'll be okay, but I still think its asking a lot to make the tournament-but that needs to be our and their expectation.

I don't want to sound mean but wow you've been so far off base lately. Sampson was the key then Sanchez makes it over
the top good. Thats your starting front court next season. Chandler is the diamond in the rough, definitely the most talented 4 year eligible player left thats attainable.

Dave I appreciate your positive attitude and everything you do here. If you feel like being mean to me, that's fine.
But for a moment come down to earth. You're telling me that I'm way off base for suggesting that Chandler is the key to our class?

Next you tell me that we're going to be a top 25 team next season? There is so much up in the air right now that calling
anyone out for not buying into what they see is quite frankly, unfair. It's your site. Do what you like, but we're returning
one guy who can score in BE games. Branch and Sampson will be freshman. We are still the most inexperienced team in the league.

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »

I don't want to sound mean but wow you've been so far off base lately. Sampson was the key then Sanchez makes it over
the top good. Thats your starting front court next season. Chandler is the diamond in the rough, definitely the most talented 4 year eligible player left thats attainable.

Dave I appreciate your positive attitude and everything you do here. If you feel like being mean to me, that's fine.
But for a moment come down to earth. You're telling me that I'm way off base for suggesting that Chandler is the key to our class?

Next you tell me that we're going to be a top 25 team next season? There is so much up in the air right now that calling
anyone out for not buying into what they see is quite frankly, unfair. It's your site. Do what you like, but we're returning
one guy who can score in BE games. Branch and Sampson will be freshman. We are still the most inexperienced team in the league.
But Branch is actually a soph who will have practiced a year with the team.

Yeah technically Samson is a frosh but he just played an extra year of prep on a sick team against top notch competition.

On the potential side Sanchez and Marco will be juniors. Chandler Yeah Frosh but a lot of talent

Poison

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
Sanchez and Marco are mysteries. We have no idea what to expect from Jucos.

Moose

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »

Yeah technically Samson is a frosh but he just played an extra year of prep on a sick team against top notch competition.

On the potential side Sanchez and Marco will be juniors. Chandler Yeah Frosh but a lot of talent

Marco would 3 years left actually.

desco80

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
First things first, let's sign Sanchez, Marco, and Chandler.  And let's make sure Chandler qualifies.   

Then the debates can begin for real.   

I do think well be good next year, probably bubble NCAA team.  But in fairness to Poison, even if we land those 3, there is SO much uncertainty it's hard to say well be .500 or better in the Big East and that's what it would take to be ranked.   

Not saying it can't happen, but there's a lot of question marks.   Next years team looks like it's going to have a big range of potential. 

ras

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
The only question is if we can sign those recruits. If we do and Chandler qualifies I would bet good money that we would be in the top 25.

crgreen

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

Interesting.  2012 Sampson doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th year, now has the "bonus" of an extra year of maturity by prepping one extra year.    2012 Chandler doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th  year and is a "raw" talented frosh.     Logic seems a bit inconsistent....

Moose

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

Interesting.  2012 Sampson doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th year, now has the "bonus" of an extra year of maturity by prepping one extra year.    2012 Chandler doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th  year and is a "raw" talented frosh.     Logic seems a bit inconsistent....

No sign Chandler played ball this year.  All academics it seems.

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »

where did I say raw in the post ?

MCNPA

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:51 PM »

I don't think Chandler is real raw per se, but he's a true big man and they take a little longer, especially without top flight coaching.  I'm not a big Jason Smith fan after hearing about Jakarr's issues, but look how much McGary improved his stock and game after playing for a good team in a great league.  Chandler could be a monster with Rico and Dunlap working with him and some more strength.  Heck of a prospect IMO.

Moose

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »

I don't think Chandler is real raw per se, but he's a true big man and they take a little longer, especially without top flight coaching.  I'm not a big Jason Smith fan after hearing about Jakarr's issues, but look how much McGary improved his stock and game after playing for a good team in a great league.  Chandler could be a monster with Rico and Dunlap working with him and some more strength.  Heck of a prospect IMO.

Many would say McGary regressed this year.

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:18 PM »

Marco would 3 years left actually.

I think the optimism comes from the fact that we have JaKarr to replace Moe.  At least that's the way I look at it!  Just from a standpoint of what we know we have next year....

(Moe averaged 15 & 9 for the season.)  Why can't JaKarr fill in and replace those numbers?  Even if he doesn't match them exactly, he should put up similiar numbers.

I also think there are several people under rating the impact Branch will make.  Once eligible, he's going to bring this team to another level. 

Add Felix to the mix with the other returners...our defensive game plan will be much more diverse and effective

Just looking at what we have now and add in the fact that i'm sure Dave knows more than I about who else may be coming in next year....there is plenty of reason for all of us to be optimistic!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:37:13 PM by upstate32 »

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »

I don't want to sound mean but wow you've been so far off base lately. Sampson was the key then Sanchez makes it over the top good. Thats your starting front court next season. Chandler is the diamond in the rough, definitely the most talented 4 year eligible player left thats attainable.

If Chandler and Sanchez come wouldnt Sampson and Chandler be our starting front court?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Chilleb

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
W the neighborhood today and found out a couple things about Moe. 1 very intriguing thing was he visited the doctor and was told he still has two inches left to grow. Kevin durant
 anyone?