Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies
Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
W the neighborhood today and found out a couple things about Moe. 1 very intriguing thing was he visited the doctor and was told he still has two inches left to grow. Kevin durant
 anyone?
If he was gonna grow another 2 inches I definitely would have waited another year. lol

Moose

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 11:42:31 PM »
W the neighborhood today and found out a couple things about Moe. 1 very intriguing thing was he visited the doctor and was told he still has two inches left to grow. Kevin durant
 anyone?

Just wondering I've heard those things before.  How accurate are doctors with that stuff?  How do they measure that stuff?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
 anyone?

Just wondering I've heard those things before.  How accurate are doctors with that stuff?  How do they measure that stuff?
Meant to say " was around the neighborhood" (darn iPhones) but I've actually had it don't to me before an X-ray of your knees can show how much growth is left. It's pretty acurate. At the time I was told I had about an inch left an grew 1 more inch.

LJSA

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
 anyone?

Meant to say " was around the neighborhood" (darn iPhones) but I've actually had it don't to me before an X-ray of your knees can show how much growth is left. It's pretty acurate. At the time I was told I had about an inch left an grew 1 more inch.

My doctor measured my wingspan when I was young and told my dad I'd be 6'5". Didn't come close. Grrrr.

MCNPA

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:28 AM »
Chandler is the key. If he comes I think we'll be okay, but I still think its asking a lot to make the tournament-but that needs to be our and their expectation.

I don't want to sound mean but wow you've been so far off base lately. Sampson was the key then Sanchez makes it over
the top good. Thats your starting front court next season. Chandler is the diamond in the rough, definitely the most talented 4 year eligible player left thats attainable.

This team will be top 25 next year.

Dave I appreciate your positive attitude and everything you do here. If you feel like being mean to me, that's fine.
But for a moment come down to earth. You're telling me that I'm way off base for suggesting that Chandler is the key to our class?

Next you tell me that we're going to be a top 25 team next season? There is so much up in the air right now that calling
anyone out for not buying into what they see is quite frankly, unfair. It's your site. Do what you like, but we're returning
one guy who can score in BE games. Branch and Sampson will be freshman. We are still the most inexperienced team in the league.
But Branch is actually a soph who will have practiced a year with the team.

Yeah technically Samson is a frosh but he just played an extra year of prep on a sick team against top notch competition.

On the potential side Sanchez and Marco will be juniors. Chandler Yeah Frosh but a lot of talent

Interesting.  2012 Sampson doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th year, now has the "bonus" of an extra year of maturity by prepping one extra year.    2012 Chandler doesn't qualify, goes prep school for a 5th  year and is a "raw" talented frosh.     Logic seems a bit inconsistent....

I don't think Chandler is real raw per se, but he's a true big man and they take a little longer, especially without top flight coaching.  I'm not a big Jason Smith fan after hearing about Jakarr's issues, but look how much McGary improved his stock and game after playing for a good team in a great league.  Chandler could be a monster with Rico and Dunlap working with him and some more strength.  Heck of a prospect IMO.

Many would say McGary regressed this year.

I don't think he regressed.  He improved a lot when he got to Brewster and rose the rankings too fast.  Went from somewhere near 100 to top 3.  He's a good player.  Just got a little exposed after trying to defend that rank for another year.  Our Sir'Dom had a similar rise which was really unsubstantiated.  Sir'dom has always been a nice player but should have been towards bottom of top 100 not the middle. 

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
Agree with the posts that point to solid improvements next season despite the loss of Harkless.  Just the fact that GG will be coming off the bench with fewer minutes allowing him to be more effective is a sign of a stronger and deeper roster.  We do need to hope for few injuries - just as most teams do.

If, as projected, Moe goes around 20th in the draft, this program and its "NBA experienced" staff will be able to fill a large recruiting gap.  Moe will have passed by many higher ranked players who played for very successful coaches this season.  The failure to produce NBA players has been used against this program for a decade.  Let's hope Harkless has great workouts and moves up further.
The Nets should forget about Rivers and get Moe with the 16th pick - would be great.

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »
i am happy for moe. I hope he creeps up into the top 15 in the draft. I will always remember him as the pied piper. He was the first to commit to lavins first major class here, and he is the first to go to the nba.

His being drafted will only help to give stj and coach lav more visibility to future recruits.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:18:24 PM by theoffspring447 »

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
i am happy for moe. I hope he creeps up into the top 15 in the draft. I will always remember him as the pied piper. He was the first to commit to lavins first major class here, and he is the first to go to the nba.

His being drafted will only help to give stj and coach lav more visibility to future recruits.

I'm starting to think more and more that he will be a lottery pick.

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »

i hope you're right.  i dont see him cracking top 10, but i can see him going 12-16
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:51:04 PM by theoffspring447 »

crgreen

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »

i hope you're right.  i dont see him cracking top 10, but i can see him going 12-16

12-16 picks the last decade.  I'd take him before 2/3 of these names:

2002:  Melvin Ely, Marcus Haslip, Fred Jones, Bostin Nachbar, Jiri Welch
2003:  Nick Collison, Marcus Banks, Luke Ridenour, Reece Gaines, Troy Bell
2004:  Robert Swift, Sebastian Telfair, Kris Humphries, Al Jefferson, Kirk Snyder
2005:  Yaroslav Korolev, Sean May, Rashad McCants, Antoine Wright, Joey Graham
2006:  Hilton Armstrong, Thabo Sefalosha, Ronnie Brewer, Cedric Simmons, Rodney Carney
2007:  Thaddeus Young, Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rodney Stuckey, Nick Young
2008:  Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez, Mareese Speights
2009:  Gerald Henderson, Tyler Hansbrough, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, James Johnson
2010:  Xavier Henry, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Larry Sanders, Luke Babbitt
2011:  Alec Burks, Markieff Morris, Kawhi Leonard, Nicola Vucevic, Iman Shumpert

pmg911

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »
1. who ever said "Kevin Durrant anyone" needs to go back on their medication
2. I hope Moe goes as high as possible but if this kid has one bad workout or doesn't shoot the ball consistently well in his workouts he could easily fall to 2nd round.

He does somethings very well on the court but lets be honest, his game has some holes for the next level. Right now, he could not remotely defend the SF position in the NBA and he is not strong enough to defend the PF position.

I will also be very curious to see where he measures out. Is he really 6'8 or is he 6'7..?    if people say he has room to grow, did he grow this year at all..?

Moose

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
2. I hope Moe goes as high as possible but if this kid has one bad workout or doesn't shoot the ball consistently well in his workouts he could easily fall to 2nd round.

He does somethings very well on the court but lets be honest, his game has some holes for the next level. Right now, he could not remotely defend the SF position in the NBA and he is not strong enough to defend the PF position.

I will also be very curious to see where he measures out. Is he really 6'8 or is he 6'7..?    if people say he has room to grow, did he grow this year at all..?

I think he measures out at 6'8.5
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »

And if he does, hes a lock top 20 pick imo. Just gives him more versatility.

Moe has to shoot the ball well in practices. His stock will skyrocket if he does. Look what happened to Iman Shumpert, who was being called a mid 2nd round pick. He confirmed what the tape showed and then he showed he could shoot. Went 17th to the Knicks and was talked about as high as 13th.

Chilleb

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

Frame wise if he peaks out at about 6"9.5 to 6"10 he will resemble Durant every bit. And as far as his inability to guard the 3 and the 4 right now, well if you can show me 5 18 yr olds that can do it at first then I'll take stock in that comment. Most if not all pro's become way more polished on the offensive end before they peak defensively. Kid has a ton of potential and a ton of ability, I'm not looking for him to be 20  and 10 out the gate but he'll be just fine in the league for many years.

pmg911

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
Frame wise if he peaks out at about 6"9.5 to 6"10 he will resemble Durant every bit.

They would be the same height, that is where the comparrisons to Durant can begin and end.

Kevin Durant is the one of the best basketball players any of us will ever see play. He completely dominated college basketball his Freshman year of college and won every major POY year award and in a few years has arguably become the best player in the NBA.  Can you please stop using Maurice Harkless and KD is the same sentence.

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

Agree moose. I think hes every bit of 6'8 and probable a little more. Im more interested in seeing his wing span and his hand length. I think they will be incredibly long.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
Frame wise if he peaks out at about 6"9.5 to 6"10 he will resemble Durant every bit.

They would be the same height, that is where the comparrisons to Durant can begin and end.

Kevin Durant is the one of the best basketball players any of us will ever see play. He completely dominated college basketball his Freshman year of college and won every major POY year award and in a few years has arguably become the best player in the NBA.  Can you please stop using Maurice Harkless and KD is the same sentence.

Ok, I don't think anyone thinks Harkless will be as good as Durant. That does not mean you cannot compare the two. They are both lengthy SF's who have very versatile games. I think he could end up being a poor mans Durant, call me crazy, but that is his ceiling.

Poison

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
Rudy Gay was a good comparison.

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
What does Defense have to do with the NBA?  No one in the NBA plays defense anymore.  No one. 

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
What does Defense have to do with the NBA?  No one in the NBA plays defense anymore.  No one.

He's right.  The games are downright unwatchable.