Top 10 giants on the recruiting trail

• 35 replies

LJSA

Re: Top 10 giants on the recruiting trail
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
No UConn?

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
We dont deserve to be on the top 10 right now but there is 100% no way NC ST and UNLV should be considered giants over us and even other big east schools. All irrelevant because I know what Steve Lavin brings to the table and feel confident that he can get the players we want

At what point does campus and student body trump the coach though?

I have no idea what the UNLV campus and student body are like. But if thats the case wouldn't you have to factor NYC/MSG?

I think we overrate MSG.

If you're a top player wouldn't it be extremely attractive to you to play your home games there? It would be to me

If youre a top player, you probably already played there a few times already. If not, youve played in bigger,better places. Plus our student body fanbase cant compare to that top 10

Yeah thats true some of those environments are crazy but if i'm a top 10 player I would have the mindset that I would help STJ become very good and as we saw a few years back MSG can be buzzing when they are good. Some players might not find MSG that attractive but those are just my 2 cents

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
We dont deserve to be on the top 10 right now but there is 100% no way NC ST and UNLV should be considered giants over us and even other big east schools. All irrelevant because I know what Steve Lavin brings to the table and feel confident that he can get the players we want

I have no idea what the UNLV campus and student body are like. But if thats the case wouldn't you have to factor NYC/MSG?

I think we overrate MSG.

If you're a top player wouldn't it be extremely attractive to you to play your home games there? It would be to me

If youre a top player, you probably already played there a few times already. If not, youve played in bigger,better places. Plus our student body fanbase cant compare to that top 10

Yeah thats true some of those environments are crazy but if i'm a top 10 player I would have the mindset that I would help STJ become very good and as we saw a few years back MSG can be buzzing when they are good. Some players might not find MSG that attractive but those are just my 2 cents

Oh MSG can rock, and our local boys Hardy,Burrell,Boothe etc. made it so a few years back. Wish the student body would catch on to whats being built here

derk

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

I think we overrate MSG.

Oh MSG can rock, and our local boys Hardy,Burrell,Boothe etc. made it so a few years back. Wish the student body would catch on to whats being built here

They always lag behind but give them 3 more years and they'll be there. I think  ::)

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

I think we overrate MSG.

Can only hope more wins = better fan base

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
No UConn?

Probably because of the probation

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »

I think we overrate MSG.

Can only hope more wins = better fan base

I didnt go to a big school St Johns, but I dont know what the problem is. Especially in the Big east, wouldnt you want to see your classmates play against the best in the country? I think the PR program is at fault. if there is one

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
With a top coach (finally) all that's missing at SJU is a consistent winning record.  We're already hearing that Lavin cheats from jealous non-fans.  Imagine the uproar if we started to live in the top 25 the way we used to?  And what about the NYC draw with out of town kids?  Just a few good years in a row is all it's going to take to get us up there.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
With a top coach (finally) all that's missing at SJU is a consistent winning record.  We're already hearing that Lavin cheats from jealous non-fans.  Imagine the uproar if we started to live in the top 25 the way we used to?  And what about the NYC draw with out of town kids?  Just a few good years in a row is all it's going to take to get us up there.

Bobre is right.  Look what Lavin did sitting out with cancer!  Here's a re-cap of Lavin's 2 classes us far in rivals ranks to give some perspective...

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

Anybody who things we aren't recruiting with the big boys is crazy, regardless of that list above.  Most of Lavin's recruits in his first 2 classes are either top 65 or JC AA's

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:42 PM »
UNLV is cleaning up yo.

Starting a Top 80 RSCI player at every position next year with two top 100's coming off the bench:  Reinhardt and Quintrel Thomas (Kansas transfer). 
UNLV was built through the transfer game:  Khem Birch, Bryce Jones, Mike Moser, Quintrel Thomas, and last year Chase Stanbeck. 

desco80

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »

Bobre is right.  Look what Lavin did sitting out with cancer!  Here's a re-cap of Lavin's 2 classes us far in rivals ranks to give some perspective...

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

Anybody who things we aren't recruiting with the big boys is crazy, regardless of that list above.  Most of Lavin's recruits in his first 2 classes are either top 65 or JC AA's

I know what you're saying, but the big boys land all Americans.   We're not on the level of UNC UCLA Arizona etc.   Yet.   Those are the big boys on the block.   
But we are finally recruiting like an upper echelon major conference team.  Which is amazing considering we were basically a mid major for 10 years.   

And I agree completely with what Baldi said earlier.  MSG can be awesome, we saw that 2 seasons ago, but it's not the same as it once was.
The best thing we have going is kids think Lavin and the staff can get them to the pros.  That's all that matters.
They may not think its a sure thing like playing for Calipari.  but recruits believe Lav can get them to the nba.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:21:57 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

I know what you're saying, but the big boys land all Americans.   We're not on the level of UNC UCLA Arizona etc.   Yet.   Those are the big boys on the block.   
But we are finally recruiting like an upper echelon major conference team.  Which is amazing considering we were basically a mid major for 10 years.   

And I agree completely with what Baldi said earlier.  MSG can be awesome, we saw that 2 seasons ago, but it's not the same as it once was.
The best thing we have going is kids think Lavin and the staff can get them to the pros.  That's all that matters.
They may not think its a sure thing like playing for Calipari.  but recruits believe Lav can get them to the nba.

I think the best thing is that we seem to have overcome the old "commuter school," "recruit with subway tokens" stigma.  In the old days we did pretty well despite our low budget handicaps and that was OK.  Now we're at least competitive in everything and but for the freaky cancer thing and a bump or two along the way we'd be ready to rock and roll with a stable track record.  I wish a kid like Obekpa would pick up on that.  Hell, Harkless did and even when things happened he wound up a first rounder with lottery potential.  On that front I got an email from the combine last night saying Moe shot well and could go tenth based on the latest feedback.  That's the new SJU for you.

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Bobre.  As I have said before, although it would be great to see what Mo could have done another year with what we have coming in/coming back, his ascension will no doubt show (and has shown) prospective recruits how this staff can develop talent.

desco80

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

I think the best thing is that we seem to have overcome the old "commuter school," "recruit with subway tokens" stigma.  In the old days we did pretty well despite our low budget handicaps and that was OK.  Now we're at least competitive in everything and but for the freaky cancer thing and a bump or two along the way we'd be ready to rock and roll with a stable track record.  I wish a kid like Obekpa would pick up on that.  Hell, Harkless did and even when things happened he wound up a first rounder with lottery potential.  On that front I got an email from the combine last night saying Moe shot well and could go tenth based on the latest feedback.  That's the new SJU for you.

Great post Bobre.  You're completely right about the way we've been able to shed the commuter label.   That's been huge.   And despite the setbacks, we are in a pretty good position to continue to improve.   Imagine where we'd be without the bumps in the road as you say?   
Good things are happening around this program.

MCNPA

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

Moe Harkless and D'Lo Harrison are as good as any All Americans that those schools recruit.  D'Lo should have been a McD's AA but was severely underrated.  Yes, I'd like a sprinkling of top 10 players, but if staff is identifying kids like Moe and D'Lo who are top 50 but as good as top 20, then it doesn't matter an iota.  We will never be UNC.  Doesn't lean we can't compete for a title.  I think we're recruiting right in the range we need to.  Uconn won several titles under Calhoun without nearly UNC-level ranked recruits.  We're grabbing almost all top 80.  That is the sweet spot. Add a McD's kid every once in a while.  They will come once Lavin starts rolling and the post-seasons start piling up.

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »

Garrett#68
Sir'Dom #44
Harkless #41
Jakarr #51
Branch #65
Harrison #40
Wood #103
Lindsey JC AA
God'sGift JC AA
Sanchez JC AA
?Obekpa #58

Great post Bobre.  You're completely right about the way we've been able to shed the commuter label.   That's been huge.   And despite the setbacks, we are in a pretty good position to continue to improve.   Imagine where we'd be without the bumps in the road as you say?   
Good things are happening around this program.

100%. We were hiring mom and pop and it was a miserable failure.  Glad we finally stepped up and hired a guy with gravitas.