Summer Recruiting Period

• 40 replies

Moose

Re: Summer Recruiting Period
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
“@bosworthhoops: Seton Hall, GA Tech, Xavier, Rutgers, St Johns, Cuse, plenty more here for Team United and Team Final. #PeachJam”

Jefferson on Final.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/teams/team-final-17u-2012

United has no roster posted.

Jefferson named his final 7 and Reed named his final 8 and SJU is in neither.   Rutgers made Jefferson's final 7 so that makes sense, SHU is probably there for Colbert.

Not sure why SJU is there.

Jefferson named his final 7 today?  I thought we were mentioned with him last week for the first time.
Remember who broke the Slice news

kob24

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
i found the games online live on a site called ihigh.com

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
“@bosworthhoops: Seton Hall, GA Tech, Xavier, Rutgers, St Johns, Cuse, plenty more here for Team United and Team Final. #PeachJam”

Jefferson on Final.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/teams/team-final-17u-2012

United has no roster posted.

Jefferson named his final 7 and Reed named his final 8 and SJU is in neither.   Rutgers made Jefferson's final 7 so that makes sense, SHU is probably there for Colbert.

Not sure why SJU is there.

Jefferson named his final 7 today?  I thought we were mentioned with him last week for the first time.

Yeah several weeks ago.

Zags spotted Chiles watching his game last week some took that as SJU being considered.  But that doesn't mean much.  Could have been killing time or watching someone else who was also playing.

And Jefferson is going to announce in January on his birthday.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/07/13/rondae-jefferson-stars-in-spike-lee-remake-targets-birthday-announcement/

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/25/rondae-jefferson-cuts-list-to-seven/

The 6-foot-7 Jefferson, out of Chester (Pa.), is considering Arizona, Texas, Florida, Memphis, Temple, Rutgers and Syracuse.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:08:07 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »
BTW-According to Zags Derrick Wrobel has been deputized so to speak and has been given temporary status as a recruiting assistant before SJU permanently fills Dunlap's position and is on the road down in South Carolina.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:56:08 AM by fordham96 »

Happy

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
BTW-According to Zags Derrick Wrobel has been deputized so to speak and is a temporary replacement before SJU permanently fills Dunlap's role and is on the role down in South Carolina.

Interesting that Hicks didn't get the nod.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
BTW-According to Zags Derrick Wrobel has been deputized so to speak and is a temporary replacement before SJU permanently fills Dunlap's role and is on the role down in South Carolina.

Some people may read into that but it is a temporary thing.  Keep in mind because of Boeheim's job on Coach K's staff with the Olympic team he is unable to get on the road.  So he gave temporary status to a Graduate Assistant to replace him and give SU the full allotment of 4 possible recruiting coaches.  They have a DOBO on the staff as well and that coach did not get the gig.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:59:28 AM by fordham96 »

Happy

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »

Some people may read into that but it is a temporary thing.  Keep in mind because of Boeheim's job on Coach K's staff with the Olympic team he is unable to get on the road.  So he gave temporary status to a Graduate Assistant to replace him and give SU the full allotment of 4 possible recruiting coaches.  They have a DOBO on the staff as well and that coach did not get the gig.

Just bored and figured I'd throw something against the wall.   If Hicks has aspirations of moving up.. Does he feel a little slighted at this move?

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »

Just bored and figured I'd throw something against the wall.   If Hicks has aspirations of moving up.. Does he feel a little slighted at this move?

To me the bigger question is, what is Mo Hick's value? Chiles certainly has recruiting ability,
 Rico is a teacher and Gene Keady brings experience. Considering all the changes in AAU hoops, does Mo still have clout with that community? I never thought Coach Hicks was a great X & O guy, so I defer to folks with local ties,like Chille, KOb and Happy for their opinions on MH's importance to program.

I am not suggesting anything, just wondering what folks think about his upside. I also realize Lavin needed a local on staff, although he had Chiles.

Happy

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »

To me the bigger question is, what is Mo Hick's value? Chiles certainly has recruiting ability,
 Rico is a teacher and Gene Keady brings experience. Considering all the changes in AAU hoops, does Mo still have clout with that community? I never thought Coach Hicks was a great X & O guy, so I defer to folks with local ties,like Chille, KOb and Happy for their opinions on MH's importance to program.

I am not suggesting anything, just wondering what folks think about his upside. I also realize Lavin needed a local on staff, although he had Chiles.

Good questions.. It's kinda hard to gauge Hick's worth to the staff .. Because he is so limited on what he can do as a DOBO.  I do know that Mo was very well liked in the city HS and AAU scene.. and the people who didn't like him were jealous of the success he achieved at Rice. 

Chilleb

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »

Good questions.. It's kinda hard to gauge Hick's worth to the staff .. Because he is so limited on what he can do as a DOBO.  I do know that Mo was very well liked in the city HS and AAU scene.. and the people who didn't like him were jealous of the success he achieved at Rice.
Agree with happy , I think in order to give a fair assessment of hicks you would have had to see him without the limitations. However his full body of work so far is impressive winning at every level he's Coached at so I wouldn't be the one to write him off for future success. What I can say about hicks from all my days as a youth up on Gerard at gauchos gym is that he's full of charisma and a great motivator.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:43:06 PM by Chilleb »

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

As DOBO I think Mo is a very busy man right now with the kids all coming/returning to campus and starting their limited practice, workout and strength and conditioning activities plus getting all the new kids acclimated to campus life.  Probably couldn't afford much time out of the office unfortunately.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

As DOBO I think Mo is a very busy man right now with the kids all coming/returning to campus and starting their limited practice, workout and strength and conditioning activities plus getting all the new kids acclimated to campus life.  Probably couldn't afford much time out of the office unfortunately.

Pretty sure Dobo's cannot take part in practices.  I know it sounds crazy but that was told to me by someone very much close to a big time D1 program.  Similar to Keady and his limitations.

crgreen

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »

Pretty sure Dobo's cannot take part in practices.  I know it sounds crazy but that was told to me by someone very much close to a big time D1 program.  Similar to Keady and his limitations.

There are limitations on the DOBO.  But isn't one of THOSE  recruiting - which would make sending Hicks out pretty much impossible, as long as he IS DOBO?

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »

There are limitations on the DOBO.  But isn't one of THOSE  recruiting - which would make sending Hicks out pretty much impossible, as long as he IS DOBO?

I wasn't referring to running practices I was referring to getting the systems running again, really for the first time in two years since there were only 5 guys on campus last summer there likely wasn't much to do.  That, at least with my limited knowledge of the job, would seem to be what a Director of Operations would need to do.  It would seem to me that position is the central point for coordinating and aggregating all that is needed to dun the program and this would be a busy time to do that with the new and returning players and the finalization of the non conference schedule and BE opponents.  Then again, I'm not entirely sure WTF the job is or what Mo does on a daily basis, just trying to translate from industries I'm more familiar with.

Re CRG's point what someone was asking was could Mo have been deputized as a recruiter instead of Wrobel, who's normal job is not allowed to recruit.  Whoever was chosen would have to return to their non-recruiting role as soon as the new assistant was named.

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »

Terchnically no but everyone knows they do.  Read Andy Katz's blog on 7/10 regarding the recent changes to recruiting:

Gottfried would also like to see all four coaches on the staff out on the road for the days allowed, which would save money. Only three coaches can be out at one time, so teams wouldn't have one flying back just to send the other coach out.

Coaching staffs handle some aspect of the coaching even if they're not technically allowed to do so.

Do you think in his director of basketball operations position (under Kansas' Bill Self) that Barry Hinson, now the Southern Illinois coach, did not coach? Does anyone believe Karl Hobbs, who held the same position as Hinson at UConn, doesn't do any coaching for the Huskies? The answer is no for both.

Having all coaches treated as equals in recruiting makes the most sense.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8146883/coaches-adjust-recruiting-changes-schedules-men-college-basketball

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:18:00 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

That's the point CR he would have to be given a temporary dispensation (I believe it is a simple request to the NCAA for a waiver that is almost always granted) to be a recruiting assistant to fill a current vacant position.

Keep in mind Wrobel is not a recruiting assistant in his official capacity and needed a waiver.  That's the point.  Lavin chose him for the temporary promotion so to speak as oppose to Hicks who is higher on the food chain, forgive my metaphors.  Some see that as a slight on Hicks.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:41 AM »
Bobcats to 4-0

Paris had 6 pts, led team with 7 boards, 4 assists and 1 turnover in 25 minutes off the bench.

crgreen

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 01:37:08 AM »

That's the point CR he would have to be given a temporary dispensation (I believe it is a simple request to the NCAA for a waiver that is almost always granted) to be a recruiting assistant to fill a current vacant position.

Keep in mind Wrobel is not a recruiting assistant in his official capacity and needed a waiver.  That's the point.  Lavin chose him for the temporary promotion so to speak as oppose to Hicks who is higher on the food chain, forgive my metaphors.  Some see that as a slight on Hicks.

That was sort of my question - is a DOBO eligible for such a waiver?    There are specific named limitations and restrictions on DOBOs specifically for recruiting.  Can you then send him out with a "waiver", and yet have him back as the DOBO when kids he recruits end up signing with you?  Just seems like it would create a situation that could be easily abused.   I mean, we can't go after kids he had contact with for two years before he became DOBO, but we can sign kids he recruits under a "waiver" between being the DOBO and returning to the job of DOBO?

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
Bobcats to 4-0

Paris had 6 pts, led team with 7 boards, 4 assists and 1 turnover in 25 minutes off the bench.
Dunlap for coach of the year and Paris for MVP-at least for the summer league. :)

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »
Bobcats to 4-0

Dunlap for coach of the year and Paris for MVP-at least for the summer league. :)

I think a couple of our products will probably get picked up in nba this year.  We certainly have a lot of guys vying for spots.