Holy Cross - Game Discussion

• 140 replies

Poison

Re: Holy Cross - Game Discussion
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
Lavin quoted as saying he is concerned about our lack of height yet he doesn't seem to be recruiting any. ???

No nothing.  He didn't bring in a top 30 forward, top 100 center, and JUCO All-American forward.

With all due respect to Lavin, he doesn't get credit for Sanchez until Sanchez gets in a game.

« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Lavin quoted as saying he is concerned about our lack of height yet he doesn't seem to be recruiting any. ???

No nothing.  He didn't bring in a top 30 forward, top 100 center, and JUCO All-American forward.

With all due respect to Lavin, he doesn't get credit for Sanchez until Sanchez gets in a game.

Could be referring to gift
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

gman

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »

You said he doesn't recruit any.  Did he recruit Sanchez.  Did he recruit McCullough.  Did he recruit Gathers.  Did he recruit Gift.  Did he recruit Chandler? 

Is he recruiting Lawrence?  Diallo? Nwankwo?  Govan?

crgreen

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

You said he doesn't recruit any.  Did he recruit Sanchez.  Did he recruit McCullough.  Did he recruit Gathers.  Did he recruit Gift.  Did he recruit Chandler? 

Seems to be a common thread on many schools boards.   Using "recruiting" when they mean "getting them on the court for your team"...Honest to god they're calling for Ben Howland to be fired ror "failure to recruit any bigs"....while he's fielding a team with 5 McDonalds All Americans 6'9 or taller, NONE of them seniors (3 Jrs. and 2 freshmen) - and the were one of the finalists for  Marcus Lee and Joel Embiid for 2013 (but both were looking for immediate PT)...

We've brought in three players 6'8 or bigger this year.  And HAD a commitment from Gathers before he renigged.  Pretty sure you HAVE to have recruited a guy if he commits to you, even if he does change his mind (or has it changed for him)...

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
Someone posted here an article concerning how the number of 7 footers available has been decreasing over the last 30 years.It really pays to read these boards it prevent being clueless rather then just posting . Years ago Villinova had two 7 Footers who each left a bit to be desired Massimino(sic) referred to them as 14 feet of shit. And way back when a picture was taken of 6-9 Bill Russell holding a ball above the reach of a 7 footer who played center for the U of Oregon.,

Lavin has done well in the bigs he has brought in realizing he has only had two classes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:08:38 AM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

Seems to be a common thread on many schools boards.   Using "recruiting" when they mean "getting them on the court for your team"...Honest to god they're calling for Ben Howland to be fired ror "failure to recruit any bigs"....while he's fielding a team with 5 McDonalds All Americans 6'9 or taller, NONE of them seniors (3 Jrs. and 2 freshmen) - and the were one of the finalists for  Marcus Lee and Joel Embiid for 2013 (but both were looking for immediate PT)...

We've brought in three players 6'8 or bigger this year.  And HAD a commitment from Gathers before he renigged.  Pretty sure you HAVE to have recruited a guy if he commits to you, even if he does change his mind (or has it changed for him)...

Crazy considering I think Howland recruited too man bigs... Howland needs guards and dynamic wings.

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
Forgive this rather basic question, but how did Amir and Dom play?  Their stats were not very impressive, especially Dom's.  Is he still doing his defensive thing out there?

Whose minutes is Felix taking?
Jones I think. Dom's defense was stifling and had a lot to do with the outcome. He could play in the league if he could score.  It was surprising that HC was bigger than us except at PG.  Dudzinsky averages 8 rpg.  We couldn't use a guy like that?  DJ used to get 6-8 with just good technique.  They should watch the film.

MCNPA

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
Forgive this rather basic question, but how did Amir and Dom play?  Their stats were not very impressive, especially Dom's.  Is he still doing his defensive thing out there?

Whose minutes is Felix taking?
Jones I think. Dom's defense was stifling and had a lot to do with the outcome. He could play in the league if he could score.  It was surprising that HC was bigger than us except at PG.  Dudzinsky averages 8 rpg.  We couldn't use a guy like that?  DJ used to get 6-8 with just good technique.  They should watch the film.

We could use a guy like that.  His name is Orlando Sanchez.  He also tried to grab that rebounder with our one real loss in Ricardo Gathers. 

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
Dom's defense was stifling and had a lot to do with the outcome. He could play in the league if he could score.

Remeber Dennis Rodman?

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »
Rodman averaged 25.7 ppg and 15.7 boards for his college career
Dom to date 6.1 ppg and 4.4

I love these comparisons! Last year someone compared Gods Gift to Wes Unseld.

Personally I usually go the other way and think someone stinks first. I compared Sampson to a deer in headlights and now he reminds me of Malik Sealy.

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
Rodman averaged 25.7 ppg and 15.7 boards for his college career
Dom to date 6.1 ppg and 4.4

I love these comparisons! Last year someone compared Gods Gift to Wes Unseld.

Personally I usually go the other way and think someone stinks first. I compared Sampson to a deer in headlights and now he reminds me of Malik Sealy.

Rodman played at an NAIA school.  An NBA HOF'er at an NAIA school, I'd expect absurd numbers like that. 

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
Rodman played at an NAIA school.  An NBA HOF'er at an NAIA school, I'd expect absurd numbers like that.

True, but does Dom in any way shape or form remind you of Rodman?

MCNPA

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

No..

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Quote from: we are sju on Today at 02:02:45 PM

No..

Now if I can just get you to question some of Lavin's substitution / strategies w/o feeling like you are cheating on your wife, we might be on to something  ;)

boo3

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
 Maybe I'm missing something re: Dom's defense.   From what I've seen in 1+ years he reputation as a defender was greater than actual performance....thus far.

He was guarding that 5'9" PG from HC and that kid basically did what he wanted to.

MCNPA

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
Quote from: we are sju on Today at 02:02:45 PM

No..

Now if I can just get you to question some of Lavin's substitution / strategies w/o feeling like you are cheating on your wife, we might be on to something  ;)

I just don't agree that we lost because of lack of adjustments or strategies.  Not at all. armchair quarterbacks believe that a few tweaks and we would have been fine.  I guess we'd never lose a game again if that were true.  Baylor had an elite backcourt and huge frontcourt and more experience.  We tired out and lost.  Not coaching mistakes.

I think we lost because of poor execution.  I don't think Tom Izzo's team lost horribly to Uconn because Kevin Ollie is a better coach nor because Izzo failed to adjust.  Execution is most of the battle.  We got killed on the glass, and Lavin can't rebound for us.  Kids on the court need to close out. 

If you insist I blame Lavin for something it is keeping Gift as a redshirt as I think his rebounding would have helped quite a bit and maybe put us in position to best Murray and Baylor.  Sure i think Lavin and the team might have been helped by having a 2-3 zone in the arsenal, but that's not something that can be installed with 4 games in the same week. 

I don't think anything Lavin adjusted would have made a difference against a stacked Baylor team, when we were tired out, lack the same amount of experience and are missing our two starting PF's in Sanchez/Gift against a big frontline.  IMO we're REALLY missing a Big East caliber PF which is Sanchez.  Don't know if we'll get him at this points but none of our other forwards have stepped up on the glass and none are a legit threat as a true PF.  Jakarr is a wing and a good one.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:37:47 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something re: Dom's defense.   From what I've seen in 1+ years he reputation as a defender was greater than actual performance....thus far.

He was guarding that 5'9" PG from HC and that kid basically did what he wanted to.

So far I agree. He makes one or two really nice plays a game on D that stand out and I think that helps the perception.

boo3

« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
  Yeah, I'm basically refuting the notion that Dom could play in the NBA based on defense alone.

Dribbling, passing, and shooting must factor in at some point.

I like the kid, I just think he will be the odd man out when Branch comes back.  If Sanchez ever plays, forget it, he will get token minutes. 

« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

Right but those guys are already here and so far not a rebounder amomg them and Lavin states PRESENTLY he is concerned about height and from what we know about recruiting other than Lawrence we don't know of any other bigs being recruited and Lawrence has been written about as wanting to play the 3 and be a perimeter player shooting 3s and he is reed thin so I doubt he will solve rebounding issues. Sorry if I want a rebounder, but your point is well taken. ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:42:33 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »
I just don't agree that we lost because of lack of adjustments or strategies.  Not at all. armchair quarterbacks believe that a few tweaks and we would have been fine.  I guess we'd never lose a game again if that were true.  Baylor had an elite backcourt and huge frontcourt and more experience.  We tired out and lost.  Not coaching mistakes.

I think we lost because of poor execution.  I don't think Tom Izzo's team lost horribly to Uconn because Kevin Ollie is a better coach nor because Izzo failed to adjust.  Execution is most of the battle.  We got killed on the glass, and Lavin can't rebound for us.  Kids on the court need to close out. 

If insist I blame Lavin for something it is keeping Gift as a redshirt as I think his rebounding would have helped quite a bit and maybe put us in position to best Murray and Baylor.  Sure i think Lavin and the team might have been helped by having a 2-3 zone in the arsenal, but that's not something that can be installed with 4 games in the same week.  I don't think anything Lavin adjusted would have made a difference against a stacked Baylor team, when we were tired out, lack the same amount of experience and are missing our two starting PF's in Sanchez/Gift against a big frontline.

Again I like Lavin and I am glad he is the coach. Based on his first year I also don't think he is as bad a game coach as his rep, Baron Davis , Lenn Robbins unamed source, Fun and some other posters have opinioned. Of course that first year is up to interpretation based on just how much credit you feel Dunlap deserves. With that being said I thought the staff had a bad South Carolina tourney. From my armchair I do not think we have the right personal to play zone consistently. We are getting killed on the boards, we don't rotate fast enough on shooters and we have poor recogination of the people who are killing us.

Going back to our original snit, no matter what we did I believe we lose to Baylor. They are bigger, more athletic(I can't wait for the protests on that one) and better than us. But we still stayed in the zone way to long! I also disagree on your argument that it was closer than it actually was. The only reason we stayed as close as we did was becuase we also shot out of our minds for most of that game. Maybe I am too negative but I kept waiting for the Baylor run to put us away. It just came later than I thought.   

Bottom line is there is not a big difference from 15-16 wins and 19-20. We already let one game get away and I think the margin for us to make the tourney is real slim which is why people will question coach from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:52:24 PM by we are sju »