Our "half court offense"

• 68 replies

boo3

Re: Our "half court offense"
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »
 Probably right Baldi.  No one is interested in that resume.

How about those 5-5 Gaels?

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »

What about them? There's a seperate thread for that. 

You happy with this season so far?

mkras99

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Baldi's back.  Good and bad things.

boo3

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »

What about them? There's a seperate thread for that. 

You happy with this season so far?

Happy?  Sure.  I would have liked to be 10-2 rather than 8-4, but I'm not jumping off any cliffs anytime soon. I'm not calling for anyone's head or saying we would be better off without a guy averaging 20 a game.  Peaks and valleys of a season. BE play didn't even start yet. Regardless of whether people are sick of hearing it or not, the truth of the matter is this is a very young team searching for an identity. 

If the last 2 months or so have taught me anything, it is not to sweat the small stuff, St. John's basketball included.  You should know that.  I'm going to enjoy watching this team progress. There is enough going on, outside of Jamaica, to make me miserable.

Merry Christmas

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
I hear that. I can use the distraction. I too had bigger expectations. 8-4 is good if your playing decent teams

Foad

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
If he's this good now, I can't wait to see how he progresses in his junior and senior seasons

Better apply for your passport now then.

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
Don't take Baldi seriously.  He's making up for lost time. 

I'm sure the " Lavin to xyz school" threads are coming any day now.

I would think Lavin is off that  "Coaches on the Rise " list

Why, because of 2 bad games? 

No, because Dunlap has carried him.

Carried him? Did you see our record last year? He wasn't a miracle worker because no one is...Xavier lost to Wofford...should they fire their coach?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:41:50 AM by section3 »

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
Without Harrison this team may unwatchable - he takes bad shots because he has to

desco80

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
The world isn't black and white fellas.
D'angelo is without a doubt our best player, and we would struggle even more without him.
But, if you don't think he's also hurt us at times then you've got the wool pulled over your eyes. 

And I'm not talking about his perceived attitude problem, I mean in clear-cut basketball situations he's cost us possessions and potential baskets.   As good as he is there is still a lot to criticize about his shot selection, lack of ball movement, and defense.

We've gotta get away from these either-or fallacies.   Reading this board you would think half our team is future lottery picks and the other half belongs at the DIII level. 

Poison

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
Without Harrison this team may unwatchable - he takes bad shots because he has to

Bingo. With Greene running the offense, nothing's happening.

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
D'angelo is without a doubt our best player, and we would struggle even more without him.
But, if you don't think he's also hurt us at times then you've got the wool pulled over your eyes. 

And I'm not talking about his perceived attitude problem, I mean in clear-cut basketball situations he's cost us possessions and potential baskets.   As good as he is there is still a lot to criticize about his shot selection, lack of ball movement, and defense.

We've gotta get away from these either-or fallacies.   Reading this board you would think half our team is future lottery picks and the other half belongs at the DIII level.

All you have to do is think back to last season and how bad we were when Dlo was in foul trouble. The offense barely scored. And that was with Harkless on the team! Dlo isn't perfect, but we're extremely lucky we have him. Bottom line, I'd rather Dlo take a fadeaway contested 25 footer than a wide open shot from Dom, Amir, Obekpa, or really anyone else besides Jakarr and Greene. He takes bad shots because he is forced to.

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Carried him? Did you see our record last year? He wasn't a miracle worker because no one is...Xavier lost to Wofford...should they fire their coach?

Dunlap coached under Lavin for one season and SJU had a losing record last year.  That's "carrying" him.  Lavin's 5 sweet 16's didn't have Dunlap in the sidelines though.  If we can get to the point where we are disappoints our fan base with Sweet 16's and Elite 8's, then we'll being good shape.

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »

All you have to do is think back to last season and how bad we were when Dlo was in foul trouble. The offense barely scored. And that was with Harkless on the team! Dlo isn't perfect, but we're extremely lucky we have him. Bottom line, I'd rather Dlo take a fadeaway contested 25 footer than a wide open shot from Dom, Amir, Obekpa, or really anyone else besides Jakarr and Greene. He takes bad shots because he is forced to.

I think DLo would average 30 ppg playing against our defense.  He'd never miss those wide open threes we always give up and he'd take it to the hoop against our interior defense as well.  CO would fould out and DLo would lead in rebounds too.  It's a good thing he's on our side. 

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »

Dunlap coached under Lavin for one season and SJU had a losing record last year.  That's "carrying" him.  Lavin's 5 sweet 16's didn't have Dunlap in the sidelines though.  If we can get to the point where we are disappoints our fan base with Sweet 16's and Elite 8's, then we'll being good shape.

Ya Lavin sure did leave a stacked squad  for Dunlap to work with

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

I think DLo would average 30 ppg playing against our defense.  He'd never miss those wide open threes we always give up and he'd take it to the hoop against our interior defense as well.  CO would fould out and DLo would lead in rebounds too.  It's a good thing he's on our side. 

Maybe He would average 40 guarding himself?

boo3

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »

Who do you want to coach the team?

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »

Who do you want to coach the team?

Somebody. They are 18 guys in suits and white sneakers on that bench. Someone call a play

Moose

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »

Does he hurt us taking bad shots?  A bad shot from Dee is worth tons more than a good shot from Pointer.  A bad shot from Dee is worth more than Greene dribbling the weave for 30 seconds.  That ridiculous dribbling might as well be called a turnover most of the time.  If Dee didn't have a temper people would not care.  Its all because he's not the nice guy everyone wants to see out there.  And frankly Phil is getting tons of rope from our fans because he's the underdog.  The lowest ranked recruit from Lavin.  I just fail to see the good that railing our best player does.  Without him and its early Norm years all over again.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
He takes bad shots because he is forced to.

This is absolutely correct.  Unfortunately, it is a byproduct of the offense we are running.  If no one else is scoring, it further forces DLo to try to do it himself.  Also, an open 23 footer is not a bad shot for DLo.

TONYD3

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
If I were the coach he would have the green light at all times. I would also try to set him better.very rarely do I see him come off multiple screens.