Villanova game thread

• 613 replies
Villanova game thread
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
Should we expect to win this game or at least be competitive?  Nova got blown out by Alabama, Temple and Columbia. Are they big inside?  Will they give us problems on the boards?  Any info?

gman

Villanova game thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
Didn't see a thread yet.  Happy that the guys are getting back on the court. 10 days without a game seemed to have made people a little crazy.

Predicitons on tonight?   I predict we win a close one 75-70

Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I've watched Villanova a few times this year.  Sometimes they look aggressive and athletic; other times they look apathetic and inexperienced.  I'd say the state of Nova basketball is pretty similar to ours - lots of top 100 type recruits who have not come along as expected.

Yarou and Pinkston are mature-bodied guys who look like they should be forces in the paint.  But this team lives and dies on the perimeter.   Will be interesting to see if Jay changes that up tonight sensing an advantage in the post.

Arcidiacono shows some potential at the point but he plays real young.  Nova fans were all over him early on.   I'm really interested to see if Branch and Dom give him fits 30+ feet from the hoop because that could stall their whole offense.

gman

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
I've watched Villanova a few times this year.  Sometimes they look aggressive and athletic; other times they look apathetic and inexperienced.  I'd say the state of Nova basketball is pretty similar to ours - lots of top 100 type recruits who have not come along as expected.

Yarou and Pinkston are mature-bodied guys who look like they should be forces in the paint.  But this team lives and dies on the perimeter.   Will be interesting to see if Jay changes that up tonight sensing an advantage in the post.

Arcidiacono shows some potential at the point but he plays real young.  Nova fans were all over him early on.   I'm really interested to see if Branch and Dom give him fits 30+ feet from the hoop because that could stall their whole offense.

What surpised me is how often they get to the ft line.  They have attempted 362 which is 1st in the be. They hit a respectable 71.3% and have scored 28% of their points at the line.  Seems like keeping them off the line could be a key to the game. Hopeully co sends back a number of shots and stays out of foul trouble.

Re: Villanova game?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
Should we expect to win this game or at least be competitive?  Nova got blown out by Alabama, Temple and Columbia. Are they big inside?  Will they give us problems on the boards?  Any info?

Statsheet.com had Nova as a 5-point favorite as of last night.  That equates to Nova being a 1-2 pt. favorite on a neutral site, so yes, this should be a very competative game.

Glad it's on the road though, because it's the first big east game, and puts all the pressure on them to win.  If we lose, yes it sucks, but we can say that we will have other chances in front of the home folks.  If we win, that really sucks for Nova, because now, they would need a road upset to make up for it.  Harder to do, IMO.

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
I say the kids come out ready to play. It will be a close game though and they are not the greatest rebounding team either. I predict a close win.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »
Very big game for us.  I think we have more tools than they do but hard to win first big east game on the road.  Need to steal it.

crgreen

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »
Very big game for us.  I think we have more tools than they do but hard to win first big east game on the road.  Need to steal it.

After 12 days since the last game?   The team better darn well be focused and prepared.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
this is a must win game for them because they would probably be 0-2 in the conference because Cincinnati is up next. I think they win this one because of last year's overtime loss.

desco80

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

Has Dom given any opposing player fits yet?    I'm not saying he's not a good defender, but his defensive prowess is more myth and reputation than reality so far. 

In fairness to him though, I think part of that problem is they have him at the top of the zone, or even in man, guarding the opposing point guard.   Many of those pgs have been smaller and quicker than him. (Canaan, Jackson, McCollum).  If you take Dom off the ball handler, and let him just shadow the opposing team's shooter or wings, then I think he can be much more effective.  And maybe even shut them down.   
But at the same time, I can't excuse Dom for letting that USF kid blow by him time and time again.   

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
Has Dom given any opposing player fits yet?    I'm not saying he's not a good defender, but his defensive prowess is more myth and reputation than reality so far. 

+1
1. Big Foot
2. Lock Ness monster
3. Amityville Horror House
4. Dom Pointer defensive stopper
5. Blair Witch
Now be prepared to face the lightening bolts from the Sir Dom minions.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
When Branch isn't on Arc, Dom will probably be taking him, no?  Based on what I have seen, Arcidiacono is not quick enough to blow by Dom like the veteran PGs on some of our non conf opponents did.   My point was more that heavy pressure on their frosh PG near half court might be an advantage for us.   

Poison

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »

Shouldn't Jay just tell his guys to shoot threes if that's their specialty? We don't guard the 3, so they might as well.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
When Branch isn't on Arc, Dom will probably be taking him, no?  Based on what I have seen, Arcidiacono is not quick enough to blow by Dom like the veteran PGs on some of our non conf opponents did.   My point was more that heavy pressure on their frosh PG near half court might be an advantage for us.

I don't disagree.  Definitely get after Arc.     My comment was just because I want to see Dom step up.   If he's our best defender he needs to start acting like it. 

desco80

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
I wasn't on these boards much 3 and 4 years ago,  how hard did we recruit Pinkston?   Did Norm have a shot at him?
I'm guessing by the time Lavin came on board he had already signed a LOI?

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »

I don't disagree.  Definitely get after Arc.     My comment was just because I want to see Dom step up.   If he's our best defender he needs to start acting like it.

Agreed.  Here's another area where Branch takes pressure off - he can guard the PGs, Dom takes the best wing (probably a better fit defensively for him, too)

Poison

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
Pat's - 74
Carl's - 63

We need some time to get Branch into the flow, and we still have not learned to stop daring opposing teams to shoot wide open threes. Nova hits a ton of them. Hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:10:13 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
Philly cc with Nova lox - 75
World's best bagels     - 69

Concerned about the 12 day layoff.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:05:03 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »

Dom hasn't shown that he's a good defender this season. I think he was better last year.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »

Dom hasn't shown that he's a good defender this season. I think he was better last year.

He should start slapping the floor more like Brust.   ;D