Villanova game thread

• 613 replies

paultzman

Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:23 PM »
Refs were worse than lavin, but after so much success on the wing earlier on why did lav move green back to the point only to cost us late in the game

+1

« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
we look tired.

and that's a disgrace.  you cannot use "we are a young team" and "we look tired" as legitimate excuses.  They shouldn't go together.  They're young, so they should have the energy.

im not using it as an excuse. im just saying it as a fact.

not saying you were specifically, I'm just done with the excuses from other people around all the st. john's boards.  How many more excuses can Lavin and co have before there are results?  he has shown zero coaching acumen

He got a team that was a 7 seed in the NIT the previous year to a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament the next.  Calm down.

The thing that lavin did great that year was recognize who his best players were. Hopefully he realizes that Phil greene can not have the ball in his hands longer than Jamal and Deangelo COMBINED.

he also didnt have to worry about subbing. Team was only 7-8 deep with 5 players getting the majority.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
Not sure what people are constantly whining about?  We shot well, and were in position to win tonight.  Foul situation was huge in Nova's favor, and nobody can deny that.  What was wrong with the coaching?  This was a war and a lopsided reffing job pushed us over the edge. 

Chilleb

« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »
Amir had a bone head play too but what was up with that last second play call in regulation?

Dan

« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »
we look tired.

and that's a disgrace.  you cannot use "we are a young team" and "we look tired" as legitimate excuses.  They shouldn't go together.  They're young, so they should have the energy.

im not using it as an excuse. im just saying it as a fact.

not saying you were specifically, I'm just done with the excuses from other people around all the st. john's boards.  How many more excuses can Lavin and co have before there are results?  he has shown zero coaching acumen

He got a team that was a 7 seed in the NIT the previous year to a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament the next.  Calm down.

With Dunlap and a veteran squad with someone else's players...I don't want to make it seem like I'm defending Norm because he was terrible and I wanted him out but Lavin hasn't shown any in-game coaching ability of his own and has no results to date with his own players.  Obviously it's early but the powerhouse talk was premature, as usual.

« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
Now we're just making the score worse.

« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »
Is the white kid going to break mo's record for pts in first BE game?

« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »
This performance by lavin and the refs was laughable.

each of them costs us the game on countless occassions.

Sampson comitted two fouls when he fouled out. They only called the one. I am just saying

What is your opinion of the refs tonight?

Mine is I havnt seen a worse job all year.

Favored Nova as all college games do towards a team with a decent home court. Certainly not as bad as some have made it out to be. We fouled a lot becuase they were bigger and stronger than us down low.

« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
Refs were way worse than Lavin.  Turning point to me was the 3 on 1 break with a chance to go up 5 or 6 and instead of attacking the rim, someone kicked it to D'Angelo and he fired a 3 with Jim Burr right in his face!!  Get a dunk there and I think we hang on to win in regulation!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:44:21 PM by upstate32 »

Chilleb

« Reply #389 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
We played 5 on 8

« Reply #390 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
outscored 15-3 in ot.

« Reply #391 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
Not sure what people are constantly whining about?  We shot well, and were in position to win tonight.  Foul situation was huge in Nova's favor, and nobody can deny that.  What was wrong with the coaching?  This was a war and a lopsided reffing job pushed us over the edge. 

MCN im not one to harp at Lavin, but if you can, rewatch the last 4-5 minutes and the over time period. what you will see is our own team playing keep away from our best player who is having a CAREER night
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Dan

« Reply #392 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
the refs were bad for sure but when that's your go-to excuse almost every game something isn't right

« Reply #393 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Season is over

Dan

« Reply #394 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »
Harrison was killing it and they actually got away from him...Greene also cannot play PG and he got a lot of minutes there.  No reason for any of those things to happen ever.

Happy

« Reply #395 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
Bright side: We win this one by 10 with Sanchez.

No

Chilleb

« Reply #396 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
34 free throws to 11 is horrible. Any way you cut it

« Reply #397 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »

Well, how about with :30 left, :15 left on the shot clock. Lavin calls timeout, we inbound to Greene, and he dribbles for 14 seconds and jacks a contested three while a red hot Harrison stood in the corner the whole time not even looking to get open. Was that honestly the play Lavin called? If so, that deserves major criticism.

I love Lavin, but can't for the life of me understand that.

« Reply #398 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »

« Reply #399 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »

MCN im not one to harp at Lavin, but if you can, rewatch the last 4-5 minutes and the over time period. what you will see is our own team playing keep away from our best player who is having a CAREER night
I think the problem was our guys were looking too much for D'Angelo in the early part of OT.  No movement and just wait for D'Angelo to get open.  Hate to say it but we should have atleast used the weave to get Nova to play a little D.