Bourgault and Hooper????

• 105 replies

DFF6

Re: Bourgault and Hooper????
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
Honestly I am more comfortable with a bad Harrison shot over any other shot by anone else on this team outside of an uncontested dunk.

+1

desco80

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
Honestly I am more comfortable with a bad Harrison shot over any other shot by anone else on this team outside of an uncontested dunk.

It's true, and I feel the same way.   But that don't make it right.   What's that say about our offense and the rest of the team? 

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
Marco can't get open and it not because we're not setting screens for him. It's because Marco is not quick enough and can't get separation.

If you are saying that he is not quick enough to get open on screens then Lavin should be fired for recruiting the slowest man on Earth. He might not have a quick release ( I am not sure having seem his shoot less than 10 x), but that is irrelevant as mostly he spends his 4 minutes set up in the corner.

Be that as it may, screens are being set for him. He's a piece of a puzzle, not the answer. Once we get better
players' aroung him, shooters will be valuable, it may not happen this year though. Also at some point its up to the player to make a play. Lavin cant make Marco shoot the ball when its in his hands. When he touches the ball, he does nothing with it, fine, sit on the bench next to Coach. Coach cant force players to make a move and shoot the ball.

I don't buy the "wait till we get better players around him" song any more.  There are plenty of teams that do with a lot less on the talent side then we do. Rutgers being one of them.  Lavin has got talented players.  The talent he has now is certainly enough to be more then competitive with against the likes of lower echelon Big East teams.  Come on, how many top 100 recruits do we need.  In fact only one of our starting 5 was not a top 50 high school recruit on some body's list.  Lavin needs to find a way to effectively get Marco in the offense, that's his job.

Moose

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »

It's true, and I feel the same way.   But that don't make it right.   What's that say about our offense and the rest of the team? 

We pick on the offense and the rest of the team enough.
Leave Dee alone :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »

We pick on the offense and the rest of the team enough.
Leave Dee alone :)

Haha, I like what you did there.

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
Marco can't get open and it not because we're not setting screens for him. It's because Marco is not quick enough and can't get separation.

If you are saying that he is not quick enough to get open on screens then Lavin should be fired for recruiting the slowest man on Earth. He might not have a quick release ( I am not sure having seem his shoot less than 10 x), but that is irrelevant as mostly he spends his 4 minutes set up in the corner.
it's tough to set screens for someone glued to the bench.  what's he supposed to do...go on the court on his own?  i don't think a team scoring in the 50s is worried about a slow-down.

when he's out there, he's frozen out by players who don't want to give up their minutes to him.

Moose

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »

when he's out there, he's frozen out by players who don't want to give up their minutes to him.

Interesting theory.

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »

Interesting theory.

Hey Moose, what about the theory that Marco was just brought in to help lure Sanchez? Is that a possibility?

DFF6

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »

Interesting theory.

I like the theory that Lavin is not playing Branch too much during the recruitment of Jordan so as not to scare him off. 

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »

Interesting theory.

I like the theory that Lavin is not playing Branch too much during the recruitment of Jordan so as not to scare him off.

Or how about the theory that Lavin is waiting for Orlando Sanchez to play so he is red shirting Gift? ::)

SJUFAN

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
For Bourgault, 0 shot attempts in five minutes played. No one on the court is looking to set him up.

Outside of Branch, we don't have players that are good at setting up other players, not just Marco. When Marco touches the ball, he doesn't even look at the rim. It's like he's waiting to be wide open with no one in his face. Look at the shots D'Lo has to take, they are all difficult, contested shots. Every one touches the ball in this offense, question isn't why isn't coach setting up plays for Marco, its what is he going to do with the ball when he touches it? I believe he is lacking confidence right now and it may take some time for him to get adjusted to the speed of the game. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »

Interesting theory.

Or maybe the players' know he's garbage so they pass the ball to someone else. I think that's a more likely theory. Players' want to win, nothing to gain by not passing a player a ball that will help you win, especially from those who are not competing at the same position.

Moose

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

Interesting theory.

Or maybe the players' know he's garbage so they pass the ball to someone else. I think that's a more likely theory. Players' want to win, nothing to gain by not passing a player a ball that will help you win, especially from those who are not competing at the same position.

Obviously you missed my sarcasm.

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »

Interesting theory.

right...a guy who shoots 40 percent from three and can hit his free throws...that's real garbage.  i'd rather have that kind of garbage than human highlight reel wanabes who can't put the ball in the ocean....and who are turnover machines at the foul line as pointed out by the game announcers.

SJUFAN

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »

Be that as it may, screens are being set for him. He's a piece of a puzzle, not the answer. Once we get better
players' aroung him, shooters will be valuable, it may not happen this year though. Also at some point its up to the player to make a play. Lavin cant make Marco shoot the ball when its in his hands. When he touches the ball, he does nothing with it, fine, sit on the bench next to Coach. Coach cant force players to make a move and shoot the ball.

I don't buy the "wait till we get better players around him" song any more.  There are plenty of teams that do with a lot less on the talent side then we do. Rutgers being one of them.  Lavin has got talented players.  The talent he has now is certainly enough to be more then competitive with against the likes of lower echelon Big East teams.  Come on, how many top 100 recruits do we need.  In fact only one of our starting 5 was not a top 50 high school recruit on some body's list.  Lavin needs to find a way to effectively get Marco in the offense, that's his job.

So your measuring our "talent" based on their rankings out of high school and not the skill set you see in front of you? We have a bunch of athletes, most of which have no skills. We can't dribble, shoot, nor pass. Look at our starting five, we have only one shooter, no dribbler, and no passers. They could dominate at the HS level because of their altheticism, but now they have to develop some skills, that does take time.

That's why I'm excited about Branch because he brings all three elements to the floor, but we need more of those type of multi faceted players. Losing Moe hurt. Marco can shoot, but he's to timid. That's why D'lo is the man, he doesn't care where he is on the court, who is on him, who's in his face, he's believes he can make the shot, and so he takes it. Marco isn't there yet, who knows if he ever will. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:24:31 PM by STJFAN »

desco80

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
There truth is that we have many weaknesses.  There's no one part of the game that is killing us; we're deficient across the board. 

That's why some weeks we're clamoring for God's Gift, and the next week we need more Jamal Branch, and we can't believe how little playing time Marco gets.

We have trouble rebounding.
We have trouble shooting.
We have trouble playing defense.
And, we have trouble passing. 

It's not just point guard play and Phil Greene, it's not just rebounding, it's the whole freaking sha-bang. 
And we're not off by much, but being a little deficient in everything can make you look pretty bad at times. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »

Interesting theory.

right...a guy who shoots 40 percent from three and can hit his free throws...that's real garbage.  i'd rather have that kind of garbage than human highlight reel wanabes who can't put the ball in the ocean....and who are turnover machines at the foul line as pointed out by the game announcers.

There's more to it than stats and last I looked Marco was shooting 34% from three and 32% from the field. He has attempted 28 shots so far and 23 of them from three. I couldn't tell you if he was a good free throw shooter because he hasn't attempted any yet, is that's on coach Lavin to? He is a one dimensional player that is an insult to one dimensional players. What is with the love affair with Marco? Some of you may have a man crush.

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
What is with the love affair with Marco?

The white player is always the most popular player.

If he showed any game at all,  the Chris comparisions would be raining down.

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
There truth is that we have many weaknesses.  There's no one part of the game that is killing us; we're deficient across the board. 

That's why some weeks we're clamoring for God's Gift, and the next week we need more Jamal Branch, and we can't believe how little playing time Marco gets.

It's not just point guard play and Phil Greene, it's not just rebounding, it's the whole freaking sha-bang. 
And we're not off by much, but being a little deficient in everything can make you look pretty bad at times. 

This here is wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

SJUFAN

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

Agree 100%. The truth of the matter is, as bad as it may look at times, we are not off by much. Can you imagin what our team would look like if we still had Moe? Not living in the past, just sayin, we are 2 really good players away from being a dominate team. I just want everyone to be patient, we are on the right track.