Greene Injury

• 61 replies
Re: Greene Injury
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
Branch is a good player, but I agree not a true point guard. We need one of those, Lavin should put a sticky somewhere"note to self, need point guard."

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Branch is a good player, but I agree not a true point guard. We need one of those, Lavin should put a sticky somewhere"note to self, need point guard."

I think he is a point guard, just not a complete point guard. He doesn't penetrate. Let's give him the season to improve. Maybe he'll improve enough so that he can run the offense next season.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
In order to succeed I think Lavin would need an NBA type point guard to run the offense by himself.

sju89tr

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
He has looked good to me and seems to be getting more comfortable. He will adjust to the Big East style of play.

Greene hasn't been the same for a while and I don't think it has anything to do with the teams we have played

It's also not his fault the staff puts the ball in his hands when he isnt capable of being a 30 min point guard with his skill set

DFF6

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
In order to succeed I think Lavin would need an NBA type point guard to run the offense by himself.

Funny, because he used to do just that:  “We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach.” -- Baron Davis.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
But if he is not a point, then you are saying he is a two guard and he hasn't shot over 40% from the field or 30% from three in two seasons. Greene shows flashes of being a good scorer and I think that tricked people into thinking he is a good player which really he is not at this point.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
But if he is not a point, then you are saying he is a two guard and he hasn't shot over 40% from the field or 30% from three in two seasons. Greene shows flashes of being a good scorer and I think that tricked people into thinking he is a good player which really he is not at this point.

He was quite often the guy after 34 seconds on the shot clock with the ball in his hands forced to throw up a horrid shot.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
Ironically look back to the NJIT game which was before that USF and you will see the numbers drop and struggles start.

Ironically his numbers started dropping as soon as we started playing D1 teams, from "an injury to the guard's hip that was evident as early as September."

If Greene is scoring 0 points a game because he's so critically injured that he can't throw the round thing in the hole then Lavin should be fired for playing him 30 minutes a game. gnggliBecause on the one hand he's jeopardizing PG's health and on the other he's compromising the team's chances of winning.
With Branch and Balamou there is no need to play a struggling,injured Green that much.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
He was quite often the guy after 34 seconds on the shot clock with the ball in his hands forced to throw up a horrid shot.

Every point guard or primary ball handler faces this issue, it is not exclusive to GenoII. And besides that is on him as well for dribbling around in a circle for 32 seconds.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »

Only because he'd been dribbling around in circles the preceding 33 seconds.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »
Wow you're fast.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Jinx you owe me a coke, preferably with rum in it as it makes watching this team a little easier

Moose

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

Only because he'd been dribbling around in circles the preceding 33 seconds.

Duh

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
Ironically look back to the NJIT game which was before that USF and you will see the numbers drop and struggles start.

Ironically his numbers started dropping as soon as we started playing D1 teams, from "an injury to the guard's hip that was evident as early as September."

If Greene is scoring 0 points a game because he's so critically injured that he can't throw the round thing in the hole then Lavin should be fired for playing him 30 minutes a game. gnggliBecause on the one hand he's jeopardizing PG's health and on the other he's compromising the team's chances of winning.
With Branch and Balamou there is no need to play a struggling,injured Green that much.

What is Balamou going to give us? He had two points in garbage time, no assists, no boards and no steals. You would think he'd get a rebound by accident. He plays tough d, or at least energized d, but he never has any idea where the ball is when he's playing d.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »

What is Balamou going to give us? He had two points in garbage time, no assists, no boards and no steals. You would think he'd get a rebound by accident. He plays tough d, or at least energized d, but he never has any idea where the ball is when he's playing d.

If he has no idea where the ball is maybe he needs contacts or the lasik surgery too.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
Maybe he was dizzy getting taken out and put back in every 6 seconds

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:58 AM »
Well everyone got what they've been clammoring for in the last game as point guard Populare played 29 minutes to 16 for Mean joe.

We promptly responded with our worst offensive output of the season.   :-[

The blowout was much more on Garrett, Sampson, Pointer and Obekpa, because they had ability to score. Still, Branch didn't penetrate enough. He needs to get in the lane, and make something happen. I saw him trying to direct the players on the court. But mostly, they just stood around being sad.

Branch did his job...lowest output had nothing to do with him...he pentrated and passed to guys like Garrett, PG4 who either missed wide open shots or worse pass them up...not his fault

Poison

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »
Well everyone got what they've been clammoring for in the last game as point guard Populare played 29 minutes to 16 for Mean joe.

The blowout was much more on Garrett, Sampson, Pointer and Obekpa, because they had ability to score. Still, Branch didn't penetrate enough. He needs to get in the lane, and make something happen. I saw him trying to direct the players on the court. But mostly, they just stood around being sad.

Branch did his job...lowest output had nothing to do with him...he pentrated and passed to guys like Garrett, PG4 who either missed wide open shots or worse pass them up...not his fault

I agree with all of that. I wrote that post after Georgetown ate us alive. Our guys were missing every outside shot they took. Against ND, Branch penetrated, and I felt he showed us a glimpse of what he can be with more seasoning.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

So in summary, if Branch doesn't get any assists and the offensive produces 50 points it's because his offensively challenged teamates couldn't finish his great passes.  But when Mean Joe played point and the offense struggled and his assist totals aren't Jackson like it's because he's the worst point ever and he dribbles in circles.

Ok.  Now I understand. 

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

So in summary, if Branch doesn't get any assists and the offensive produces 50 points it's because his offensively challenged teamates couldn't finish his great passes.  But when Mean Joe played point and the offense struggled and his assist totals aren't Jackson like it's because he's the worst point ever and he dribbles in circles.

Ok.  Now I understand. 

That all depends on your understanding of the game of basketball. Branch moves the ball around, and looks to pass it ahead on the break. Phill does neither.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.