Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
We looked like a real team tonight, great win! Gotta work on the pick & roll defense though
and free throws! At 2-3 were only one game back of Notre Dame!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
Lavin's strategy of playing Amir/Don and Jakar at the 4 and 5 for stretches, and keeping our best defensive player out, actually appeared to pay dividends as Amir/Dom and Jakar were giving Cooley and Martin trouble on their end.  Thought coach did a nice job tonight.  Bobby Knight was commenting on that all game.

Also even if the box score doesn't show it, I think our offense looks light years better with Branch running the point.  He can get into the line and seemed to make the pass, or the pass that leads to the pass that leads to an open jumper.  There is no reason Branch should not get major minutes at the point in lieu of PGIV, though his D needs tightening up for sure.

« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
Great win!  Great to see Jones again.  Branch sealing the deal on the line was huge! The potential of this group is starting to peak through.

Big fan of jones, want him to get 15 minutes a night. He is a threat on offense.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »
Just when you think you're out...they pull you back in!

Seems like our teams are notorious for doing this in the last few years...

Now that I am pulled back in, our next 4 games are: @ DePaul, @ Rutgers, Hall, DePaul. Just sayin.....

We could just as easily go 1-3 as 4-0...

That's 2 ranked teams so far, right?

crgreen

« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
Great win!  Great to see Jones again.  Branch sealing the deal on the line was huge! The potential of this group is starting to peak through.

Big fan of jones, want him to get 15 minutes a night. He is a threat on offense.

Thought he played more physical than he had the last time he was getting minutes (but then, that was so long ago my memory may be foggy!)....

« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
Jones was a presence on the boards it seemed when he was in the game.  I hope he got the message that that is what he needs to do to get PT.

Alley -- on TV, it was clear that Branch was held blatantly by the ND guard when he was trying to break for the ball.  Officials caught it and Knight commented how it was a good call.

kjd01067

« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
Good win. I was scared up until the end that we would blow another one. We needed this one.

« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
Nice win! I guess Obepka was the problem :) I didn't agree with the lineup but it worked have to give Lavin credit. Nice to see Jones dusted off. I would like to see Branch shoot a little more and Greene a little less. Only issue I had was I think Lavin takes the air out of the ball too early with leads, but overall nice job!

« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
Just when you think you're out...they pull you back in!

Seems like our teams are notorious for doing this in the last few years...

Now that I am pulled back in, our next 4 games are: @ DePaul, @ Rutgers, Hall, DePaul. Just sayin.....

We could just as easily go 1-3 as 4-0...

That's 2 ranked teams so far, right?

And a home loss to Rutgers, but that wasnt my point, to rain on the parade. Its just that we've seen this type of thing before. Takes nothing away from the great win tonight, and I hope we build on it this time.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
Does it take anything away that are two wins comes from two teams that we have played well against? I know it's against two rank teams but it was also ND and U Cinn.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
The lineup was because ND is such a good perimeter team.  We neutralized that with a smaller, quicker lineup.  Good strategy.  It would have been less effective if Cooley had not gotten into foul trouble, but...

« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »
Does it take anything away that are two wins comes from two teams that we have played well against? I know it's against two rank teams but it was also ND and U Cinn.

That's true but they are two different teams stylistically.  That make it even more bizarre.

« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
Box has marco with two points? Dont remember them, think their giving one of Jamals baskets to him. Thought marco looked good out their tonight.

boo3

« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
 Great job by Lavin. He actually made adjustments that worked.

Jakarr was great in stretches, as were Dom, Amir, and Phil. 

« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Part of the reason Cooley got in the foul trouble IMO was because he had to deal with quicker players.  Why he wasn't in at the end of the game is an entirely different story (I didn't get that).

Poison

« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
Great win. Branch is a cool customer. Love it when he penetrates.

« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »
Part of the reason Cooley got in the foul trouble IMO was because he had to deal with quicker players.  Why he wasn't in at the end of the game is an entirely different story (I didn't get that).

who knows if Deangelo would have blocked the shot if it was cooley going up.

Moose

« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

I think Rothstein gets paid by STJ Twitter guy to tweet things like this...

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
Great win. Branch is a cool customer. Love it when he penetrates.

Our team is a ton better with Branch at PG.  He's going to get a lot better too.  we're a different team with him in there.  Great to see that we have a real pg.

Moose

« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
Where are all the Greene hATERZ NOW! ;D

They are smiling because the success is attributed to being off the ball.
But don't let measly facts get in the way (insert smiley)
Remember who broke the Slice news