Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies

Moose

Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
No Obekpa tonight?

Strategy worked playing smaller lineup, coaxing Cooley out of the paint where he was tentative and foul prone.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Nice win! I guess Obepka was the problem :) I didn't agree with the lineup but it worked have to give Lavin credit. Nice to see Jones dusted off. I would like to see Branch shoot a little more and Greene a little less. Only issue I had was I think Lavin takes the air out of the ball too early with leads, but overall nice job!

Is Lavin taking the air out of the ball or is it the players? All of a sudden Branch started taking it to the hole, but everyone else stood around. Agree about Branch shooting vs. Greene, who doesn't drive at all anymore, do you think that is do to his hip. He played 36 minutes tonight.

desco80

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
Nice win!
Didn't see this coming, but boy was it nice.   

So much for Phil being limited by his hip injury...played 37 minutes tonight. 

Sampson in the first half was awesome.  And honestly, his shooting from the line was a big reason we won. 
Everybody else chipped in nicely, especially Amir and Dom.   Good to see Jones out there again.  Marco...ehh.

But overall a nice bounce back game by our guys.   

Interesting to note we played a very small lineup for most of the game, and Dangelo only took 8 shots.   I honestly don't know if we won because of those things, or despite them.   But I'll take it.

Also, I don't envy coach at all - he's going to have a tough decision next game whether to start Obekpa, and whether to employ the 3 guard lineup as well.   Seems like he could be doomed if he does, doomed if he doesn't if we end up losing to DePaul.  Be interesting to see what he does, bc remember they have Melvin in the post. 

boo3

« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
Great win. Branch is a cool customer. Love it when he penetrates.

Our team is a ton better with Branch at PG.  He's going to get a lot better too.  we're a different team with him in there.  Great to see that we have a real pg.

Branch will certainly be the starter from here on in one would hope.  His defense is a little suspect despite his reputation of being a tremendous defensive player.  Phil is going to get a lot of minutes, like it or not.  Off the ball is the place for him , obviously.

Most importantly, the effort tonight was tremendous. kids diving, hustling fro the ball.  Christian Jones played well.  he knows his job is to battle the opponents bigs and grab boards.  He did a nice job and has earned some of his minutes back.

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

I think Rothstein gets paid by STJ Twitter guy to tweet things like this...

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ

I don't follow writers enough to know how they feel about us but I see Rothstein at every one of our home games.  I've even seen him pre-gaming at Sly Fox.

boo3

« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
I missed the beginning. Who started?

Branch
Greene
Harrison
Sampson
?

Moose

« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

I think Rothstein gets paid by STJ Twitter guy to tweet things like this...

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ

I don't follow writers enough to know how they feel about us but I see Rothstein at every one of our home games.  I've even seen him pre-gaming at Sly Fox.

Guy hits every game he can in the Metro area.  He is out the NYC metro equally annoying version of Dick Vitale :)

I just know he's a big Hall and Rut guy and is usually pretty hard on us.

Moose

« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

Branch
Greene
Harrison
Sampson
?

Dom

*Who has looked pretty damn good past couple of games.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:44:15 PM by Moose »

boo3

« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Nice win! I guess Obepka was the problem :) I didn't agree with the lineup but it worked have to give Lavin credit. Nice to see Jones dusted off. I would like to see Branch shoot a little more and Greene a little less. Only issue I had was I think Lavin takes the air out of the ball too early with leads, but overall nice job!

Is Lavin taking the air out of the ball or is it the players? All of a sudden Branch started taking it to the hole, but everyone else stood around. Agree about Branch shooting vs. Greene, who doesn't drive at all anymore, do you think that is do to his hip. He played 36 minutes tonight.

I agree Sham. Also, ND picked up the defensive pressure big time when they made the comeback. Combine that with a little tentativeness on our part and you have the 30 second pass around, bad shot offense...

I highly doubt Coach is instructing them to stall with 10 minutes left , up 10...

« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
Where are all the Greene hATERZ NOW! ;D

They are smiling because the success is attributed to being off the ball.
But don't let measly facts get in the way (insert smiley)

He played much better off the ball and I thought he played fine, but he still shot 6-18

boo3

« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »

Branch
Greene
Harrison
Sampson
?

Dom

Yes , he has.  Team leader is doing a great job.  Just needs to be a little less aggressive when he gets in foul trouble.  I felt the 5th foul on him was a good call.  You can't put yourself in that situation with 8 minutes ( or so?) left.  Amir was a beast also.

« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
One other comment from someone who was forced to watch this game at home because his Big Law job required him to work while tuning in (I know there are many on the board who sympathize with that).  It is often said that D-Lo is focused on getting "his" points, and I understand why some would give credence to that given his body language at times and shot selection.  On TV tonight, however, there were multiple times in which the cameras cut to D-Lo in the huddle slapping fives with his teammates who had just scored, and encouraging them, as opposed to looking discouraged because of his lack of shots and offensive output.  It seemed that because other players were, gasp, actually making offensive plays, he was perfectly fine letting the game come to him for the most part without forcing anything.  Great to see.

desco80

« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
By the way, I had to watch this one from home... Bob Knight is quickly becoming one of my favorite analysts. 
He's very fair, doesn't give you the Dick Vitale hyperbolic bullshit, and isn't afraid to criticize poor play or what he perceives as stupid coaching decisions.   

Doesn't seem to like Lavin very much, or maybe just doesn't have a relationship with him; he didn't mention coach once tonight I don't think.   But that's ok.   

Knight does a good job.   Mike Patrick on the other hand....  Not the worst, in a profession filled with fools, but certainly annoying at times - like when he decided to tell us the Grant family history during an intense stretch of play. 

« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »

Branch
Greene
Harrison
Sampson
?

Dom

Dom hit 3 maybe 4 jumpers today. Has to be a record.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
Where are all the Greene hATERZ NOW! ;D

They are smiling because the success is attributed to being off the ball.
But don't let measly facts get in the way (insert smiley)

He played much better off the ball and I thought he played fine, but he still shot 6-18

He was hoisting a few.  2 with the clock expiring.  (when Branch was ironically out) :)

« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
Agree re: Dom.  Nice to see him making a few mid-range jumpers.  He has to be wary of fouling guys 25 feet from the basket by being a bit too aggressive on D.  But I thought he played very well overall.

boo3

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
Knight knows hoops.. no question about that.  I thought he was good tonight also.

jr49

« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Did coach go small for ND to guard the 3 ? Holding them to 1-9 big time. I would like to see Branch stay in front of someone. Also BE point guard gotta get to the line.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:51:34 PM by jr49 »

Moose

« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
By the way, I had to watch this one from home... Bob Knight is quickly becoming one of my favorite analysts. 
He's very fair, doesn't give you the Dick Vitale hyperbolic bullshit, and isn't afraid to criticize poor play or what he perceives as stupid coaching decisions.   

Doesn't seem to like Lavin very much, or maybe just doesn't have a relationship with him; he didn't mention coach once tonight I don't think.   But that's ok.   

Knight does a good job.   Mike Patrick on the other hand....  Not the worst, in a profession filled with fools, but certainly annoying at times - like when he decided to tell us the Grant family history during an intense stretch of play. 

Except for the fact Knight doesn't know anyone's name (the big guy on STJ) and forget the rules a number of times.

Also no clue who gets called for fouls because Patrick is in La La land.

« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
Knight was crediting Lav's strategy of playing small against the bigger lineup, and creating matchup problems for ND on the defensive end.  He clearly did his homework, because the first thing he said at the tip was that Harrison is an explosive offensive player but should avoid getting frustrated and taking bad shots.