Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies
Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
Where are all the Greene hATERZ NOW! ;D

They are smiling because the success is attributed to being off the ball.
But don't let measly facts get in the way (insert smiley)

He played much better off the ball and I thought he played fine, but he still shot 6-18

He was hoisting a few.  2 with the clock expiring.  (when Branch was ironically out) :)

I think Moose is pushing for them to keep a stat for shots with shot clock winding down. We could call it the Phil Greene. I can see it now how did Lebron do last night? 27 pts 10 rebs 7 ast's and 3 Phil Greene's :)

Moose

« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
Did coach go small for ND to guard the 3 ? Holding them to 1-9 big time. I would like to see Branch stay in front of someone. BE point guard gotta get to the line.

Yes he gave up easy buckets down low pressing the 3 shooters. It was frustrating at first but made sense.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
Where are all the Greene hATERZ NOW! ;D

They are smiling because the success is attributed to being off the ball.
But don't let measly facts get in the way (insert smiley)

He played much better off the ball and I thought he played fine, but he still shot 6-18

He was hoisting a few.  2 with the clock expiring.  (when Branch was ironically out) :)

I think Moose is pushing for them to keep a stat for shots with shot clock winding down. We could call it the Phil Greene. I can see it now how did Lebron do last night? 27 pts 10 rebs 7 ast's and 3 Phil Greene's :)

;)

desco80

« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
One other comment from someone who was forced to watch this game at home because his Big Law job required him to work while tuning in (I know there are many on the board who sympathize with that).  It is often said that D-Lo is focused on getting "his" points, and I understand why some would give credence to that given his body language at times and shot selection.  On TV tonight, however, there were multiple times in which the cameras cut to D-Lo in the huddle slapping fives with his teammates who had just scored, and encouraging them, as opposed to looking discouraged because of his lack of shots and offensive output.  It seemed that because other players were, gasp, actually making offensive plays, he was perfectly fine letting the game come to him for the most part without forcing anything.  Great to see.

Good point about Dangelo's demeanor,   He's also learned to drive and dish when he draws a double team.   That's a relatively new concept for him, but it's paying dividends for the team as a whole. 

« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
By the way, I had to watch this one from home... Bob Knight is quickly becoming one of my favorite analysts. 
He's very fair, doesn't give you the Dick Vitale hyperbolic bullshit, and isn't afraid to criticize poor play or what he perceives as stupid coaching decisions.   

Doesn't seem to like Lavin very much, or maybe just doesn't have a relationship with him; he didn't mention coach once tonight I don't think.   But that's ok.   

Knight does a good job.   Mike Patrick on the other hand....  Not the worst, in a profession filled with fools, but certainly annoying at times - like when he decided to tell us the Grant family history during an intense stretch of play. 

Knights reply to Patrick's grant family history was priceless. Just basically through it away and said on with the game.

I will say that Bobby makes some absolutely obvious statements, also some silly ones. When we were in bounding up 2 with 8 seconds left he said "get it in bounds and the game is over" apparently he hadnt seen our ft%. Thankfully we hit the two of them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
Did coach go small for ND to guard the 3 ? Holding them to 1-9 big time. I would like to see Branch stay in front of someone. BE point guard gotta get to the line.

Yes he gave up easy buckets down low pressing the 3 shooters. It was frustrating at first but made sense.

Nobody can guard an opposing guard tight on the perimeter without expecting help behind him occasionally.  There were a couple times where I think Branch played great D, forced his guy to the baseline and there was simply no help.  Remember, this is a zone... There should be somebody there. 

Point is, I actually think Branch plays very good D. 

desco80

« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
By the way, I had to watch this one from home... Bob Knight is quickly becoming one of my favorite analysts. 
He's very fair, doesn't give you the Dick Vitale hyperbolic bullshit, and isn't afraid to criticize poor play or what he perceives as stupid coaching decisions.   

Doesn't seem to like Lavin very much, or maybe just doesn't have a relationship with him; he didn't mention coach once tonight I don't think.   But that's ok.   

Knight does a good job.   Mike Patrick on the other hand....  Not the worst, in a profession filled with fools, but certainly annoying at times - like when he decided to tell us the Grant family history during an intense stretch of play. 

Knights reply to Patrick's grant family history was priceless. Just basically through it away and said on with the game.

I will say that Bobby makes some absolutely obvious statements, also some silly ones. When we were in bounding up 2 with 8 seconds left he said "get it in bounds and the game is over" apparently he hadnt seen our ft%. Thankfully we hit the two of them.

He does make he occasional obvious observation, but I can live with that rather than the bs and cliches most announcers rely on Mase. 

« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
A lot of bright spots today....

Amir played with great passion today and had some very strong finishes at the rim. 
Sir Dom continues to improve and impress. 
C Jones gave us some productive minutes. 
D'Lo let the game come to him offensively and had a tremendous floor game!!
Branch could be the answer at PG!  I like what he brings to the table
Jakarr and Phil brought their A games tonight!

Moose

« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

Nobody can guard an opposing guard tight on the perimeter without expecting help behind him occasionally.  There were a couple times where I think Branch played great D, forced his guy to the baseline and there was simply no help.  Remember, this is a zone... There should be somebody there. 

Point is, I actually think Branch plays very good D. 

Sorry I meant overall.  Not Branch specifically.  We pushed the shooters out and as a team gave up the easy buckets.

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
sir dom actually played well until he fouled out

« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »

the last two games sir dom has played well

« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »

He does make he occasional obvious observation, but I can live with that rather than the bs and cliches most announcers rely on Mase. 

Oh absolutely. Only a couple in the college game id rather listen too.

gman

« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »

He has and I was quite critical of him.

« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
One thing I'd like to see a bit more -- Branch at the point with Marco and Harrison on the wings.  Phil was the recipient of some open looks from the outside because Branch can penetrate and D-Lo draws so much attention from opposing defenses.  If we can get away on the boards with playing that smaller lineup (and I'm not sure how much Phil adds anyway in that regard), and Marco can play defense better, I think our offense will benefit because Marco is a better jump shooter than PGIV.  In fact, I like Phil's offensive game much more when he is shooting one of his patented floaters in the lane, or even a pull-up from 15, as opposed to an uncontested 20 footer.  Goal is to try and take a few jumpers away from Phil and give them to Marco.

« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
One thing I'd like to see a bit more -- Branch at the point with Marco and Harrison on the wings.  Phil was the recipient of some open looks from the outside because Branch can penetrate and D-Lo draws so much attention from opposing defenses.  If we can get away on the boards with playing that smaller lineup (and I'm not sure how much Phil adds anyway in that regard), and Marco can play defense better, I think our offense will benefit because Marco is a better jump shooter than PGIV.  In fact, I like Phil's offensive game much more when he is shooting one of his patented floaters in the lane, or even a pull-up from 15, as opposed to an uncontested 20 footer.  Goal is to try and take a few jumpers away from Phil and give them to Marco.

If marco could find a rhythm and contribute it would be huge for this team. He was active tonight and had a nice play where he drew the defense and dished to branch. He did miss his two open jumpers however.

Moose

« Reply #235 on: January 15, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »

If marco could find a rhythm and contribute it would be huge for this team. He was active tonight and had a nice play where he drew the defense and dished to branch. He did miss his two open jumpers however.

He is def pressing.  Trying to hit a shot or two because he knows the hook is coming.  The one game he got going early was the game he played most.  St. Francis.

boo3

« Reply #236 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
 Marco will get a his shot.  Hopefully he can respond. I've seen so little of him so far I have zero expectations.

« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

He is def pressing.  Trying to hit a shot or two because he knows the hook is coming.  The one game he got going early was the game he played most.  St. Francis.

Today he started to run towards the bench because lavin got dlo up. Fortunately Marco got to stay in for a couple more minutes.

I thought his best game was the Ashville game. Didnt get to see the st. Francis game though.

desco80

« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »

I can see how he's in a tough spot actually.  He wants to show he belongs, and contribute with the outside shooting we all expect of him.
It's one of those things were you don't want him to be anxious every time he gets in the game and shoot contested shots just for the sake of shooting, he should kind've let the game come to him as they say.
But, on the flip side of the coin, you want him to be aggressive and look for his shot.   

Once he gets a solid 10pt game under his belt.. and it will happen, then I think he'll relax.   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
How was the crowd, they seem decent tonight.
Cougar O' Malley