Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies
Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »
One thing I'd like to see a bit more -- Branch at the point with Marco and Harrison on the wings.  Phil was the recipient of some open looks from the outside because Branch can penetrate and D-Lo draws so much attention from opposing defenses.  If we can get away on the boards with playing that smaller lineup (and I'm not sure how much Phil adds anyway in that regard), and Marco can play defense better, I think our offense will benefit because Marco is a better jump shooter than PGIV.  In fact, I like Phil's offensive game much more when he is shooting one of his patented floaters in the lane, or even a pull-up from 15, as opposed to an uncontested 20 footer.  Goal is to try and take a few jumpers away from Phil and give them to Marco.

If marco could find a rhythm and contribute it would be huge for this team. He was active tonight and had a nice play where he drew the defense and dished to branch. He did miss his two open jumpers however.

He is def pressing.  Trying to hit a shot or two because he knows the hook is coming.  The one game he got going early was the game he played most.  St. Francis.

I think there maybe an opportunity on Saturday against DePaul.  Oliver Purnell likes to run and gun and I can see some opportunities on fast break kickouts on the wing for Marco.  Consistent 3 point shooting is still an issue with SJU.

DePaul will not be easy.  They are about to lose to Cincy tonight and will be starved for a win on Saturday.

« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »
He is def pressing.  Trying to hit a shot or two because he knows the hook is coming.  The one game he got going early was the game he played most.  St. Francis.

I agree. I wish they'd play him longer. He needs to get going for us. I feel our best group is Branch-DLo-Marco-Jakarr-Obekpa. Gives us two guards who can penetrate, two wings who can spread the floor, a midrange shooting PF and a pick and roll player. That would be tough to guard. Also it would help Phil coming off the bench and being able to attack more.

« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
One thing I'd like to see a bit more -- Branch at the point with Marco and Harrison on the wings.  Phil was the recipient of some open looks from the outside because Branch can penetrate and D-Lo draws so much attention from opposing defenses.  If we can get away on the boards with playing that smaller lineup (and I'm not sure how much Phil adds anyway in that regard), and Marco can play defense better, I think our offense will benefit because Marco is a better jump shooter than PGIV.  In fact, I like Phil's offensive game much more when he is shooting one of his patented floaters in the lane, or even a pull-up from 15, as opposed to an uncontested 20 footer.  Goal is to try and take a few jumpers away from Phil and give them to Marco.

If marco could find a rhythm and contribute it would be huge for this team. He was active tonight and had a nice play where he drew the defense and dished to branch. He did miss his two open jumpers however.

I think there maybe an opportunity on Saturday against DePaul.  Oliver Purnell likes to run and gun and I can see some opportunities on fast break kickouts on the wing for Marco.  Consistent 3 point shooting is still an issue with SJU.

DePaul will not be easy.  They are about to lose to Cincy tonight and will be starved for a win on Saturday.

I'd like to see more of Marco with Branch and Harrison as well.  Phil played well today...but was 1-8 from 3 point range! (OUCH)

I know Marco may be a defensive liability, but I'd love to see him taking 6 of those 8 3's that Phil shot tonight!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:41:54 PM by upstate32 »

desco80

« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
So, this is our 2nd ranked win, somebody tweeted that it's our 9th under Lavin (8th with him on the sidelines) in less than 3 full seasons. 
How many wins did we have over top 25 in Norms 6 years?  Anybody know?

« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »
Good win.  Lavin almost blew it going into our ipusual delay offense with 7 minutes to play.  We actually play better when the game is on the line then when we are up.i think this is the third time in a row we beat them at the Garden.  Now on to bottom feeder DePaul and there we should expect to win.

« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
Good win.  Lavin almost blew it going into our ipusual delay offense with 7 minutes to play.  We actually play better when the game is on the line then when we are up.i think this is the third time in a row we beat them at the Garden.  Now on to bottom feeder DePaul and there we should expect to win.

Genius.  Start another disingenuous thread about SJU.

Poison

« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »
So, this is our 2nd ranked win, somebody tweeted that it's our 9th under Lavin (8th with him on the sidelines) in less than 3 full seasons. 

NC State, Pitt in year one. Pitt & Louisville in year two. ND in year 3. In his 4th, zero. In his
5th, they beat ND & GTown. In his 6th, they beat Temple & ND.

crgreen

« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Bad night for ranked teams from the Hoosier state.   IU goes down at home to Wisconcin.

« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
Great win tonight!! I have nothing against him, but what's everyone's infatuation with Marco? Who is he supposed to take minutes from Amir and Dom? They both played great tonight and bring a lot more to the table at this point

« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »
Great win tonight!! I have nothing against him, but what's everyone's infatuation with Marco? Who is he supposed to take minutes from Amir and Dom? They both played great tonight and bring a lot more to the table at this point

Both amir and dom played great, but they have both been given ample playing time to get through their bad play. Marco seemingly hasnt got a fair shake. I can tell he has a higher offensive IQ than both of those players, plus he can shoot. Those are two things I would like to see more of some times.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »

NC State, Pitt in year one. Pitt & Louisville in year two. ND in year 3. In his 4th, zero. In his

I thought I remember a Cuse win at the garden. Patterson had a 4 point play down the stretch. Maybe they werent ranked at the time.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

redslope

« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
Just back--good win tonight as it was a TEAM win not a game won because one individual stood out.  Contributions all around.  We had 6 players with 8 or more points-would love that every night.  The team played with fire in their belly and took away the 3PT shotl ergo they gave up lay ups instead of 3's but do the math.  Good call by coach to switch to man.

The game definitely supported the title of a Woody Harrelson movie.  Cooley was quite pissed off on the ND bench towards the end of the game--didn't join his teammates during one 30 second time out but kept his butt anchored to the bench.  Quickness by our guys took away his advantages of size.  ND front line looked like they were playing with cement shoes on as we had 15 Off boards to their 24 defensive rebounds.  Overall we outrebounded them by 4 effectively without Chris. 

Now back to practice and getting ready DePaul which will be tough; Melvin is one of my favorites not on our team.

« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
Went to the game tonight. Pretty thrilling. For such a small crowd they were able to make some noise in the second half. Four winnable games coming up. Let's get this done. Go Storm!

« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

I think Rothstein gets paid by STJ Twitter guy to tweet things like this...

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ

Nah Jon likes STJ a lot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:58 PM »
Went to the game tonight. Pretty thrilling. For such a small crowd they were able to make some noise in the second half. Four winnable games coming up. Let's get this done. Go Storm!

Right about the size of the crowd--7400.  So much for ND being a big draw.  this is consistent with prior years. 

Our student section was not very full as still on intercession BUT towards end of the game I enjoyed the "Roll Tide" chant.  Good job on that Students.

desco80

« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:44 PM »

So, basically Lavin has as many quality wins in 2 1/2 years as Norm did throughout.   
Granted the vast majority are from that 2010 team w/ Norm's players, but still a remarkable turn around. 

Tiznow

« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »

Linda, didn't you expect a win tonight?

Tiznow

« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »
How was the crowd, they seem decent tonight.

A lot of Johnny fans abandoned ship after the Hoya game, but the few that showed up were loud and enjoyed the win.  They were also supported by a small number of Alabama fans who also enjoyed watching ND lose again.

paultzman

« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »
Watching Obekpa closely, I assumed he was under the weather. I noticed at time outs Hines and Mo would pull him aside to seemingly urge him on. CO was also shaking his head and walking to the bench.  He also played in short spurts. Maybe I am wrong on this, but just wondering.

Great to see the kids battle tonight. They play a style that is tailor made to beat a good, but plodding (not the two guards) ND team. You could see our quickness and aggression bothered them.

paultzman

« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
“@NewsdaySports: JaKarr Sampson leads @StJohnsRedStorm to upset win over No. 20 Notre Dame | http://t.co/ZEyzyVGC @STJ_Basketball #stjbb”

“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB Bounces Back Big With 67-63 Victory Over No. 20/20 Irish: Recap, Stats, Notes, Quotes, Pics, Video: http://t.co/vbnQ8wvg
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:01:36 AM by paultzman »