DePaul Game Discussion

• 247 replies

boo3

Re: DePaul Game Discussion
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Why is Obekpa in the game?

He grabbed the rebound on Depauls miss. Do you want to call a TO, stop clock to take him out?  on dead ball i agree.. take him out for Offense, back in for defense.  Lavin did that next dead ball.

In that case yes.  Having him in the game at that point offensively is an automatic turnover or the kids hold have kept the ball out if his hands.  Good win but not pretty at the end.

you want to stop the clock with a minute to go, up 6 , with the ball?   That's dumber than you think Lavin is.   I agree, no one should pass him the ball.  I'm not in favor of stopping the clock and allowing them to set up out of bounds defense...no way

« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
I like lavin, but I just completely disagree with a lot of his tactics.

Tactics have been fine this game.  Good change of defenses in second half negated them.  It was brain-dead play and turnovers that lead to their comeback. 

I dont think having dom have the ball at the top of the press was a very smart tactic.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »

LOts of coaches use different tactics.  Of course, a lot of them don't get to the Dance 6 of 8 years, or the Sweet 16 5 of 8 years.   Or finish in the top 25 7 of 8 seasons....

« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
If not for Harrison, I don't know how many of these games we close out successfully.

How many games the Heat going to close out without Lebron?  How many games would uconn have closed out without Kembs walker on their NCAA champ run?  He's the best scorer in the league.  No doubt games are "influenced" by his play.

Im not saying that in a bad fashion. Just giving him props.

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
Of course after a win, we still have to discuss how bad of a coach Lavin is.

« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

He's had a good game, specially sitting Phil despite the brother playin in front on fams and friends.

Sitting phil was a smart move. However having Dom at the top against the press was not.

« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

Yeah like why did Lavin tell his players to turn the ball over on 4 straight possessions
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
Lavin was fine today.  We played like crap for 25 minutes and incredibly for 15 minutes.  If we were playing a better team they would've buried us in the first half but a road win in the Big East is never easy.  I'm satisfied with the effort.

« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
Good Win on the road.   Branch MVP

Tied with Dom imo. Both were key.
+1
 :coolsmiley:

« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
Will the kids be satisfied with themselves and two game winning streak or will they come out hungrey to avenge loss to Rutgers and build on their success?

« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
Why is Obekpa in the game?

He grabbed the rebound on Depauls miss. Do you want to call a TO, stop clock to take him out?  on dead ball i agree.. take him out for Offense, back in for defense.  Lavin did that next dead ball.

In that case yes.  Having him in the game at that point offensively is an automatic turnover or the kids hold have kept the ball out if his hands.  Good win but not pretty at the end.

you want to stop the clock with a minute to go, up 6 , with the ball?   That's dumber than you think Lavin is.   I agree, no one should pass him the ball.  I'm not in favor of stopping the clock and allowing them to set up out of bounds defense...no wayH

Under normal circumstances I agree with you but Obepkas foul shooting limitations are not normal. But good win with some good stuff.... Branch, Pointer and DLo at the end, I'll take it.

« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
After Lavin took Greene out the team took off. Nice win, let's get some revenge on Wednesday.

« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »

Is Lavin your long lost son or something?  No one is saying how bad he is but all, as fans, are entitled to criticize his moves if they so feel.  He is not perfect by any means and while there was some good progress shown by the team, clearly the game management at the end of the game from many peoples perspective was suspect. 

« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »

Is Lavin your long lost son or something?  No one is saying how bad he is but all, as fans, are entitled to criticize his moves if they so feel.  He is not perfect by any means and while there was some good progress shown by the team, clearly the game management at the end of the game from many peoples perspective was suspect.

Good one. I just think it's crazy how much criticism he gets even after a win. I don't chalk it up to bad coaching every time something doesn't go our way. S*** happens. We won, Lavin's coaching had a lot to do with this win.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:13:04 PM by redstorm212 »

desco80

« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »

LOts of coaches use different tactics.  Of course, a lot of them don't get to the Dance 6 of 8 years, or the Sweet 16 5 of 8 years.   Or finish in the top 25 7 of 8 seasons....

CR, I love you man, and I like that you stick up for coach.   But making the Sweet 16 with all the resources and brand power UCLA gives you is like making contact in kickball.   If you miss, something is very very wrong. 

edit:  with that said I thought he coached a good game.   
especially liked that he was willing to sit Phil (as Choz pointed out)
And switching defenses early in the second half definitely confused Depaul.   

Only thing I would've done differently is midway through the second half when we were up 17, I'd have rotated giving Branch, D'angelo, Jakarr a breather.   They got sloppy down the stretch, and I gotta think running all game played a part in that.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:15:46 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »

CR, I love you man, and I like that you stick up for coach.   But making the Sweet 16 with all the resources and brand power UCLA gives you is like making contact in kickball.   If you miss, something is very very wrong.

Strongly disagree. If you are one of the best 16 teams in college basketball, you are a damn good team, and a damn good coach. Coach K doesn't even make the sweet 16 every year with Duke.

« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
I didn't ridicule lavin. I just Said I disagree with him sometimes. Using 3 timeouts in the first 15 minutes didn't come back to bite us but its not the smartest thing in the world. Having Dom at the front of the press worked nicely on occasion but it also lead to a lot of bad possessions and turnovers.

boo3

« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Business like win 4 @STJ_Basketball at DePaul. The Red Storm have the Big East's 3rd most talented roster after Cuse + Lville. #stjbb

desco80

« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

Strongly disagree. If you are one of the best 16 teams in college basketball, you are a damn good team, and a damn good coach. Coach K doesn't even make the sweet 16 every year with Duke.

He kind've does 212.  Last 20 years how many times has Duke been in the sweet 16,  15? 16?   It's something like that.   

« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
I didn't ridicule lavin. I just Said I disagree with him sometimes. Using 3 timeouts in the first 15 minutes didn't come back to bite us but its not the smartest thing in the world. Having Dom at the front of the press worked nicely on occasion but it also lead to a lot of bad possessions and turnovers.
y
like Lavin you can be certain of your opinion, but that doesn't make it right.