Louisville Game - Player of the Game

• 45 replies

desco80

Louisville Game - Player of the Game
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
Carmine will have a lot to talk about after this game I'm sure. 
Phil did a nice job tonight.   Not perfect - by any means, but a better game than anybody else had.

On a side note, he had a poor game in some respects, but Obekpa I was impressed with Obekpa's rebounding tonight.   We could've been outrebounded by a lot more were he not around. 

Re: Louisville Game - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
The stats lie in this case.  Greene wasn't very good tonight.  He kept us in the game early but he had no control of the offense at all and got a lot of his points in garbage time.  If we have Branch running the point we do a lot better. 

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
The only player that played even a decent game was Greene...perhaps Obekpa.  I know Greene is the whipping boy, but nobody can create points against a good defense, but him. Harrison is so freaking slow.  Sampson does not have any outside game at all outside of his 15-18 foot spotup jumper.  Pointer is a terrible shooter and ball-handler.  Pointer and Sampson took away our chance to win because of their lack of discipline on offense.  We had the game close twice in the second half and both of Louisville's runs came after their mistakes. 

desco80

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
The stats lie in this case.  Greene wasn't very good tonight.  He kept us in the game early but he had no control of the offense at all and got a lot of his points in garbage time.  If we have Branch running the point we do a lot better.

You're right.. Phil wasn't great and his 21pts are a little misleading.   But he was better than anybody else in red, no?
For one, he's the only one I have confidence in bringing the ball up against pressure.   

Poison

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
Again, no point guard is the difference. Greene, Pointer and Sampson lead the break, and led it nowhere. There is no player of the game. We were lousy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:39:19 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
Again, no point guard is the difference. Greene, Pointer and Sampson lead the break, and led it nowhere. There is no player of the game. We were lousy.

Comparing Greene to what Pointer and Sampson did tonight is absurd.  If we had two Greenes this game comes down to the last shot.  If Greene didn't play, we lose by 40.  Pointer and Sampson killed the team tonight at key moments with bonehead plays.  Neither one of them should be handling the ball from the perimeter.  Why is Pointer touching the ball so much?  He has no outside shot, a terrible handle, and he makes bad decisions with the ball against pressure.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »
Sampson and Pointer looked terrible.  If anyone thinks Sampson is ready for the NBA they are crazy!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
Sampson is really talented but he still needs time. He will be back next year. Greene is also limited and his dribble was exposed tonight. Boy, are we missing Branch.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
A no-brainer.  Mean Joe in a landslide.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
Congats to CA and his man Mean Joe! :)

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
Sampson is really talented but he still needs time. He will be back next year. Greene is also limited and his dribble was exposed tonight. Boy, are we missing Branch.

How was Greene's dribble exposed?  They pressed him relentlessly and he only had one turnover to three assists while creating all but two of his shots himself.  It's so easy to blame the "point," but nobody on this team moves at all.  There are no sharp cuts, no good screens, there is no inside threat or inside-outside play.  There is no real threat to hit a jumper.  What PG would thrive with this group?  I saw my first skip pass from this group in four games.  That is freaking insane. 

Greene is not a true PG, but he has a good handle and protects the ball.  He creates most of his stuff and nobody else can do that with Branch on the bench.  Harrison can't do anything against a good defender.

I really like Bourgault, but c'mon. This kid needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to become more of a threat.   How about a shot fake?  How about curling off a screen or a hard back door cut?  He's the easiest guy in the country to defend if he's just going to stand there.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »

How was Greene's dribble exposed?  They pressed him relentlessly and he only had one turnover to three assists while creating all but two of his shots himself.  It's so easy to blame the "point," but nobody on this team moves at all.  There are no sharp cuts, no good screens, there is no inside threat or inside-outside play.  There is no real threat to hit a jumper.  What PG would thrive with this group?  I saw my first skip pass from this group in four games.  That is freaking insane. 

Greene is not a true PG, but he has a good handle and protects the ball.  He creates most of his stuff and nobody else can do that with Branch on the bench.  Harrison can't do anything against a good defender.

I really like Bourgault, but c'mon. This kid needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to become more of a threat.   How about a shot fake?  How about curling off a screen or a hard back door cut?  He's the easiest guy in the country to defend if he's just going to stand there.

Idk about a shot fake but Bourgoult is the only guy on the team who uses pass fakes.

Phil greene played a great first 5 minutes, and a great last 2 minutes. In between was less than average. He doesnt pass up open people for shot, he passes them up to dribble around. Unreal.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
I give player of the game to Sampson because he contributed the most to help Louisville win.

Seriously, Phil by default.  He did the most to keep the game competitive early on and when we made our run early on the 2nd half.  Every time Jakarr dribbles into the lane, it is a turnover.  He needs to establish position inside and look to receive a pass, instead of dribbling through traffic.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
What player willed us to the lead before the last couple of 1st half minutes and then willed us back in the first couple of minutes of the 2nd half.
Remember who broke the Slice news

dR3w

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:41 AM »
I gave it to Obekpa for his rebounding.  Looked aggressive for a change.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »

He didn't look aggressive to you previously?  His rebounding has gotten leaps and bounds better as year has gone on.  Some more muscle and learning the game more and watch out.  I hate pulling a Marillac and patting myself on the back but I always compared him to Dieng.  Look at Dieng's freshman year numbers.  Identical pretty much and Obekpa has a lot more blocks.  I expect similar careers.

boo3

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »

He didn't look aggressive to you previously?  His rebounding has gotten leaps and bounds better as year has gone on.  Some more muscle and learning the game more and watch out.  I hate pulling a Marillac and patting myself on the back but I always compared him to Dieng.  Look at Dieng's freshman year numbers.  Identical pretty much and Obekpa has a lot more blocks.  I expect similar careers.

I agree. I think both Obekpa and Sampson have come a long way with their rebounding.  Yet, it feels like we are still giving up WAY too many 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities to good teams. A recipe for failure. Just seems our guys consistently put themselves in bad position for rebounds..

dR3w

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »

Honestly no, but then again I don't watch games with thoughts like "I need to watch Obekpa to see how aggressive he rebounds."  I just noticed that at times last night he seemed to really want the ball underneath the basket, and I haven't noticed that before last night.   Call me unobservant.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

Honestly no, but then again I don't watch games with thoughts like "I need to watch Obekpa to see how aggressive he rebounds."  I just noticed that at times last night he seemed to really want the ball underneath the basket, and I haven't noticed that before last night.   Call me unobservant.

No need to call you unobservant.  Everyone watches games differently.  I've seen a lot of comments from ppl after a game and say to myself of all the things they saw THAT?

boo3

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
 Interesting.  For instance, I've never watched a game to specifically see if Greene is freezing out Marco purposely.