Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies
Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »
Fair to assume you are single WASJU? Say it ain't so! Lol

Sadly for the ladies, married. My % is Tyson Chandler like

« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
No true PG or low post presence.  Add Branch and Orlando, and my guess is that our offense looks a zillion years better.

Can't forget the fact that the team is awful at shooting the basketball

Marillac

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
I really don't get the constant knocking of Phil Greene in this site.  Without Greene we would have been ran out of the first half.  This team is awful offensively.  Dom and Sampson are completely out of control on the perimeter and are good for a dozen combined terrible decisions a game.  Harrison can't separate from a defender athletically and when they are just as strong as him, he's screwed.  We have no big on the roster that is a threat down low. 

Obviously we would all like to have Eric Barkley, but we don't.  Greene single-handedly kept this game respectable.  Without Greene it would have been a layup line for Pitt.  There is very skill offensively on this team.  The last person that should be knocked is Phil Greene.

Well lets see.
Greene is successful with 35% of his shots
If a QB completed 35% of his passes he would be 15% worse than Mark Sanchez
If a coach won 35% of his games he would be Norm Roberts
If a kid got 35% on a test he would fail
If a batter was successful 35% of the time eventually he will fail a PED test and be suspended
If you satisfy your girl 35% of the time, you will eventually be single.
35% is not good. And that is w/o mentioning the circle dribbling.
He played better the game he went 0-7.

We don't have a point guard!  Sampson and Pointer handling the ball is a disaster.  Even when they do something fantastic it usually starts off looking like a horrible mistake and surefire turnover that they manage to finish because of their superior athletic gifts.  Harrison can't create space against a good defender.  We have no movement, no inside threat, no outside threat.  We stand around more than any other team in the country.

It's not like Phil Greene is playing in favor of some pure point guard...we literally have nobody that can handle the ball for more than a few dribbles without being a threat to turn it over. 

You guys think this is because of Phil Greene...that's a joke.  Sampson was friggin awful last game, but the stats make it seem like he played decent.  Pointer looked like he never bounced a ball before.  Their mistakes don't show up in the stat sheet, but it seems like every missed shot by Pointer results in a layup for the other team.  Greene should be paying 20 mpg off the bench of a good team.  We are not that team. 

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Larry Legend's Soph year at SJU he shot 43% and 40% from three. Plus he did not dribble around like a pinball.

Marillac

« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »
Too bad Phil dribbles in circles...he's missing all those awesome backcuts and open shooters.  These guys are screening so well and defenders have to respect our guys' outside shooting ability.  The worst part for opposing defenses is having to double team Obekpa and Sampson when they get the ball down low.  The floor is spaced so well...if only someone could deliver the ball to all these open players. 

« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
lavin's man crush for greene is killing us.  40 minutes for a guy who can't shoot...can't find open men...has no court sense?  when he got nine in the first half and we were still losing, i said, "we're going to lose.  there's no way this kid will score another nine in the second half and no one else is good enough to pick up the slack."

« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
Too bad Phil dribbles in circles...he's missing all those awesome backcuts and open shooters.  These guys are screening so well and defenders have to respect our guys' outside shooting ability.  The worst part for opposing defenses is having to double team Obekpa and Sampson when they get the ball down low.  The floor is spaced so well...if only someone could deliver the ball to all these open players. 

Marillac, cmon! Yes the offense stinks, it has for 3 years honestly. Luckily we had another two guard playing the point who could knockdown shots otherwise people would really be getting frustrated with Lavin by now. Greene is being put in a spotlight becuase his role in the offense is a big one. And under no circumstances should someone just dribble around aimlessly. Again, even though SF stunk, I thought the ball movement was ok against them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:57:09 AM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »

Marillac, cmon! Yes the offense stinks, it has for 3 years honestly. Luckily we had another two guard playing the point who could knockdown shots otherwise people would really be getting frustrated with Lavin by now. Greene is being put in a spotlight becuase his role in the offense is a big one. And under no circumstances should someone just dribble around aimlessly. Again, even though SF stunk, I thought the ball movement was ok against them.

If Phil didn't score in the first half, the game was over right off the bat.  Nobody showed up...it was disgusting.  There is such a lack of skill on this team.  What good is all the athletic ability if you can't dribble the basketball?  Pitt beat the pants off of us with five John Severe's.  The kid will go to Pitt and drop 20 on us. 

Amir Garrett is a Pitt player.  No use for that in our system. 

Moose

« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »

If Phil didn't score in the first half, the game was over right off the bat.  Nobody showed up...it was disgusting.  There is such a lack of skill on this team.  What good is all the athletic ability if you can't dribble the basketball?  Pitt beat the pants off of us with five John Severe's.  The kid will go to Pitt and drop 20 on us. 

We don't play Pitt anymore.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

Pittsburgh Pirates maybe...

« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »

Marillac how many times would you cut before you gave up knowing that no matter how open you were Phil would most likely decide to dribble it out instead?  He had a perfect opportunity to hit Dom for an oop yesterday during the second half at a time when we were building momentum. Instead he ignored him and we turned the ball over after 35 seconds of standing still.

Yes there aren't many option for point guard but my question is if we don't play an offense where we need a point guard why do we need phil on the court for 38 minutes a game. Even with branch out a backcourt of dlo Marco and Dom would move the ball better and be more effective scoring the ball.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
The offense we run and explanation about "set plays" or lack thereof, as they really aren't a big part of any motion offense.  IMO, our biggest problem really is our lack of an inside scoring threat and a PG that can operate this offense appropriately.  We have some nice personnel, but are still raw and limited by our lack of a pg, with Branch barely making it on the court this season.

http://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/bobby-knight-motion-offense-passing-and-driving-jim-ponchak/

boo3

« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
 Point is that Phil is taking way too much of the blame for everything that has gone wrong on the court.  If you want to blame Lavin for playing him too much, that's fair. Unfortunately our options aren't much better at the moment with Branch being MIA all season.

Those complaining that Marco doesn't get enough time... I just disagree. I'm not seeing it. Ok, he can shoot it, occasionally.  He can't guard me.  He is a 15 minute guys himself.  He is the definition of a one-dimensional player.

« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
We mostly either stand around and watch Greene dribble or pass side to side. Offense resembles Norm's "motion offense" too many nights.

« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
 Those complaining that Marco doesn't get enough time... I just disagree. I'm not seeing it. Ok, he can shoot it, occasionally.  He can't guard me.  He is a 15 minute guys himself.  He is the definition of a one-dimensional player.

Half the time we play that shitty zone. I would love to sit with you for a game as you explain to me what a great defender Harrison, Branch and Greene are in that zone.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:38:15 AM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

Half the time we play that shitty zone. I would love to sit with you for a game as you explain to me what a great defender Harrison, Branch and Greene are in that zone.

Did I say they were great defenders?  If you noticed, the only time Marco plays is when we go to the zone. Lavin takes him out when we switch to man.

tnice

« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
I've been as hard on Greene as anyone, and he can be maddening to watch. But I'll say the same thing I've been saying all season: we literally do not have an offense. It's not the players' lack of execution, because there's nothing to execute. For the life of me I cant understand it. It's borderline coaching malpractice.

Yesterday, Pitt ran a 2-3 zone with the backline basically at the dotted line of the jump circle. Did we backscreen? Back cut? Alley oop with one of our 7 athletic wings? Never...not once. We just backed the offense out further. If an NFL team put nine guys in the box against your offense and played press coverage on your wideouts, and your coach brought in two more tight ends to try and run the ball instead of throwing over their heads you'd be screaming to fire the coach the next day. Well thats what we did yesterday and thats what we've done all season. The only time we run a screen for our best shooter is on the little curl inbounds play that we run every single time and people have figured out. Oh and btw, as we were scoring 8 whole points in the last 12 minutes of the game, our second best shooter was on the bench.

This is not complicated stuff. We have a group of kids whose major weakness is ballhanding and an offensive philosophy that emphasizes ballhandling above all else. We have a group of kids whose major strength is athleticism and an offensive philosophy which has them standing around watching the two man game rather than moving, cutting, slashing, jumping. Why???

Is SJU basketball in a better place than it was three years ago at the end of the Norm era? Of course. Has Lavin brought in and gone after recruits that are two or three clicks higher than we were getting? Absolutely. But the knock on Lavin has always been great recruiter, not exactly Phog Allen when it comes to coaching basketball and honestly we are seeing that right before our very eyes, IMHO. We are losing games that we could (underline COULD, not saying SHOULD) win because we are being outcoached.

redslope

« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Phil needs to remember he is a point guard and get some assists.  every time he drives the lane he is going to shoot not dish to the wing.  His lack of assists can be seen in that he has only 4 more than Sir despite playing 200 minutes more than Sir--that is rediculous for a PG when comparing to Sir.  Also despite what some say about Sir's shooting, Phil should emulate him.  He knows the 3PT is not his forte so he takes less than one a game (4 of 15, something our Phil and Harrison try each night to match); yet overall he is shooting 51+% as he takes what are makable.

tnice

« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
The offense we run and explanation about "set plays" or lack thereof, as they really aren't a big part of any motion offense.  IMO, our biggest problem really is our lack of an inside scoring threat and a PG that can operate this offense appropriately.  We have some nice personnel, but are still raw and limited by our lack of a pg, with Branch barely making it on the court this season.

http://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/bobby-knight-motion-offense-passing-and-driving-jim-ponchak/

We dont run this offense. You can keep saying it, but we dont.

« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »
We might play Pitt next year.  They are participating in the legends classic as well.