Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies
Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
mean joe shares the horns because for virtually every game he gets the most minutes (40 against pitt)...five for 13 shooting sucks a big one...and all but two of his points came in the first half.

i know he works hard.  i predict he'll be a monster in his senior year.  right now, he's hurting us.  the bad news is he's not alone.

derk

« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »
Lavin has explained what our "offensive gameplan" is on numerous occasions. He wants this team to push the ball after we grab a defensive rebound or make a steal and look to score within the first 7-10 seconds of the shot clock. If we don't get a quality shot up on the break or before the defense sets up, the team is instructed to break out the weave and run some clock. The purpose being to limit the opposing team's possessions and points in transition off a bad rushed shots. As some have mentioned, it would be better if the team made hard cuts and crisper passes. It would also be better if we had a player like Dwight Hardy to give the ball with 10 on the shot clock and ask him to make something happen. I thought Harrison could be that player, but after yesterday's performance I just don't have much faith in him YET in the big game against a quality opponent. I am in no way agreeing with this style of offense, but this is what Lavin runs. I know its not the Princeton offense or even the dribble drive, but this is who we are and have been the last 3 years. There is no sense in complaining about it anymore. The only hope is that if Lav continues to bring in better and better talent it will mask the deficiencies in the X's and O's of his coaching style. Clearly it CAN work as evidenced by the Hardy/Brownlee/DJ team. And we have more talent on our roster now, so hopefully continued patience will pay off.

Re your point about hardy/end of possession. It really is amazing that with all the times we find ourselves with the shot-clock running down, I really cant think of even one time where we got a good luck. That is amazing.

We never get a good look at the end of possession because our strategy is dribble the ball until we're down to 3 - 4 seconds, hoist up a three and pray. Not saying that's coachs plan but that's what plays out on the court.

derk

« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
Lavin has explained what our "offensive gameplan" is on numerous occasions. He wants this team to push the ball after we grab a defensive rebound or make a steal and look to score within the first 7-10 seconds of the shot clock. If we don't get a quality shot up on the break or before the defense sets up, the team is instructed to break out the weave and run some clock. The purpose being to limit the opposing team's possessions and points in transition off a bad rushed shots. As some have mentioned, it would be better if the team made hard cuts and crisper passes. It would also be better if we had a player like Dwight Hardy to give the ball with 10 on the shot clock and ask him to make something happen. I thought Harrison could be that player, but after yesterday's performance I just don't have much faith in him YET in the big game against a quality opponent. I am in no way agreeing with this style of offense, but this is what Lavin runs. I know its not the Princeton offense or even the dribble drive, but this is who we are and have been the last 3 years. There is no sense in complaining about it anymore. The only hope is that if Lav continues to bring in better and better talent it will mask the deficiencies in the X's and O's of his coaching style. Clearly it CAN work as evidenced by the Hardy/Brownlee/DJ team. And we have more talent on our roster now, so hopefully continued patience will pay off.

Agree, that's the plan. We win when D'Lo and one other player are hitting ( Marco, Carr). Can't have D'Lo going 1-12. Pitt had one outstanding shooter and J.J. Moore contributing plus their brutes up front. Bingo !

« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »

Agree, that's the plan. We win when D'Lo and one other player are hitting ( Marco, Carr). Can't have D'Lo going 1-12. Pitt had one outstanding shooter and J.J. Moore contributing plus their brutes up front. Bingo !

Yeah, I mean you can analyze this game anyway you want. But IMO, it comes down to Harrison. When your leading scorer averages 18 ppg and he scores 6 points (and is held scoreless in the 2nd half) you are just not going to beat a ranked team.

I am not sure what I make of his comments after the game. I saw one reporter post on twitter that he was very impressed with the calmness in Harrison, as he said it simply boiled down to an off game for him and shots just not falling. But it is troubling that in our biggest games this season against ranked teams he just fails to produce.

derk

« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

Yeah, I mean you can analyze this game anyway you want. But IMO, it comes down to Harrison. When your leading scorer averages 18 ppg and he scores 6 points (and is held scoreless in the 2nd half) you are just not going to beat a ranked team.

I am not sure what I make of his comments after the game. I saw one reporter post on twitter that he was very impressed with the calmness in Harrison, as he said it simply boiled down to an off game for him and shots just not falling. But it is troubling that in our biggest games this season against ranked teams he just fails to produce.

Troubling ? Yes, but given his personality and previous behavior I think it shows a level of maturity that will be beneficial to him and us in the future.

« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Unfortunately the doors of opportunity are starting to close for Dlo.  His problems are obviously in his head and he's the last guy I would have expected to have shortcomings in that area.  Watching him miss back to back free throws was clear proof that all is not well with our leader.  He's had enough decent looks to be effective but his confidence just isn't there.  Our team is OK but they feed off him and nobody else can fill that role right now.  Add that to Lavin's lousy substitutions and zoning in the second half and it was no contest .  One of the worst half games of the year.  Norm would have had a better shot vs Dickson.

Moose

« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
Unfortunately the doors of opportunity are starting to close for Dlo.  His problems are obviously in his head and he's the last guy I would have expected to have shortcomings in that area.  Watching him miss back to back free throws was clear proof that all is not well with our leader.  He's had enough decent looks to be effective but his confidence just isn't there.  Our team is OK but they feed off him and nobody else can fill that role right now.  Add that to Lavin's lousy substitutions and zoning in the second half and it was no contest .  One of the worst half games of the year.  Norm would have had a better shot vs Dickson.

Dickson?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
mean joe shares the horns because for virtually every game he gets the most minutes (40 against pitt

I love it how the staff now rightfully recognizes that Mr. Greenjeans must be on the floor for the entire contest.  Definitely enhances my enjoyment of the game.   :up:

« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
mean joe shares the horns because for virtually every game he gets the most minutes (40 against pitt

I love it how the staff now rightfully recognizes that Mr. Greenjeans must be on the floor for the entire contest.  Definitely enhances my enjoyment of the game.   :up:

I know you're a Greene fan...I personally don't think we can be successful with him being thrust into such a central role. But, that's just my opinion...

Given the passion with which you support Phil, I am curious...

Do you think he is a good shooter?
When playing the point do you think he puts people into position to score?
Do you think he should be playing this many minutes, taking this many shots at this level?

« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
I think Greene will be better next year and an all c7 candidate as a senior.  He wasn't suited to play 35 mpg as this teams pg so let the kid grow while we get personnel in order. Healthy branch is the key

« Reply #330 on: February 26, 2013, 07:02:16 PM »
I think Greene will be better next year and an all c7 candidate as a senior.  He wasn't suited to play 35 mpg as this teams pg so let the kid grow while we get personnel in order. Healthy branch is the key
I feel like a Greene branch balamou Jordan back court in two years has a lot of potential. We will see

« Reply #331 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
I feel like a Greene branch balamou Jordan back court in two years has a lot of potential. We will see

Where's Dlo at that point?

DFF6

« Reply #332 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

Somewhere in Europe.

Moose

« Reply #333 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »

Home because he's having a disappointing year.  So he won't stick around

;)

« Reply #334 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
No sophomore on our squad is transferring unless they get pushed out for whatever reason.  If anything, it would be one of the freshman, and I don't see that happening.

« Reply #335 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Honestly, if we get Sanchez qualified for next year, I have no problem with staying with our current lineup.  Next year, this team is a solid NCAA team.

« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »

I know you're a Greene fan...I personally don't think we can be successful with him being thrust into such a central role. But, that's just my opinion...

Do you think he should be playing this many minutes, taking this many shots at this level?

Not yet.
Sometimes.
Yes, yes.

« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »

Not yet.
Sometimes.
Yes, yes.
OK..admire your loyalty...don't necessarily agree with #3 but that's what makes these boards interesting...fun debate over a beer sometime...

« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
Phil Greene is playing injured, he likely will need surgery at the end of the year.  Secondly, he was not brought in here to play point guard but he has put into that position out of need.  I think everybody should give the kid a break, he is doing well for being a true point guard, he doesn't turn the ball over and that is the most important thing.

Moose

« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Phil Greene is playing injured, he likely will need surgery at the end of the year.  Secondly, he was not brought in here to play point guard but he has put into that position out of need.  I think everybody should give the kid a break, he is doing well for being a true point guard, he doesn't turn the ball over and that is the most important thing.

His hip is injured.  There seem to be no side effects in terms of him dribbling, running playing defense etc.  That is where the hip would show issues.  The issues posters have are with shot selection, lack of vision (which you mentioned he's not a true pg).  And if he is hurt why is he playing 40 minutes a night?  Injury is not the right excuse.