Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies

MCNPA

Pitt game discussion
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »
Game right around the corner.  Pitt can be tough, but winnable game here at the Garden.  Need this one to keep rolling.  I don't want to have to rely on road wins nor beating #1 Marquette the last game.  Once again, a must-win here.  Rebounding is their biggest strength.  They aren't to best you with a speedy PG, nor lights-out shooting.  If we play smart and stay close on the boards, we win IMO. 

dR3w

Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
Just curious, has there ever been a game you DIDN'T think StJ could win?  :)

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »

I'm a homer too  :)
This is a game a team has to win at home day in and day out in the Big East
If we were playing Pitt at their place then I would think they should win

They have better rebounding as MCN said but otherwise the matchup is pretty even. Got to defend the perimeter although their guys do like to finish at the rim. Adams has played better from earlier in the year so I think you see more of Obekpa Sunday

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »

The last Georgetown game...  Fwiw, we could be playing for first in the big east right now if not for losing to Rutgers the first time and a villanova game we could/should have won if not for a homer ref-job and one bad foul. I think Pitt is winnable and as I said, it will be a tougher task on the road against both providence and Notre dame.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:42:42 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »

They have better rebounding as MCN said but otherwise the matchup is pretty even. Got to defend the perimeter although their guys do like to finish at the rim. Adams has played better from earlier in the year so I think you see more of Obekpa Sunday

Their rebounding, size and depth present problems, but not insurmountable. Please don't let JJ Moore, Suffolk County kid, have another good game against us.

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »

Their rebounding, size and depth present problems, but not insurmountable. Please don't let JJ Moore, Suffolk County kid, have another good game against us.

Typical Pitt team but short on the usual Pitt talent level IMHO

I like what the future gives them with their freshman PG

Adams won't stick around a long time to develop but you see how athletic he is for a 7'2" player

Woodall Moore and Patterson are all solid. Got to play a lot of man in this game in my opinion. They don't shoot many threes but if they are open against us they will hoist them up   

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
Their stats are really spread out amongst the team.  No real standout players, but lots of guys getting points, rebs etc.  we need to play good team defense overall, because we aren't stopping just one guy.  Looking at the stats and their balanced scorng, it tells me we need to do our best to frustrate them offensively.  I'm not sure that just man-to man will work very well with a disciplined coach like Dixon.

We really need to interrupt their passing lanes and not get burned by the dribble-drive.  Robinson is a very nice player, but not real fast.  Cut down their lanes and they will struggle scoring.  They are a good defensive rebounding team but not the greatest on the offensive boards. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/221/pittsburgh-panthers

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Take advantage of this special ticket offer! Promo Code: STJBB to save 50% on certain tickets for #STJBB-PITT: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004934945F6B58?artistid=844662&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7

jr49

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Game right around the corner.  Pitt can be tough, but winnable game here at the Garden.  Need this one to keep rolling.  I don't want to have to rely on road wins nor beating #1 Marquette the last game.  Once again, a must-win here.  Rebounding is their biggest strength.  They aren't to best you with a speedy PG, nor lights-out shooting.  If we play smart and stay close on the boards, we win IMO.
CO showing good hands boarding. I'm starting to think he just needed some time for instincts to take over. Taking to the coaching also helps.   

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
"This is a must win for the Red Storm if they hope to keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive. The Panthers are two-deep at every position and are well coached as usual by Jamie Dixon. St. John’s hasn’t been the same team since Jamal Branch was lost to a knee injury, but sophomore forward Dom Pointer has emerged as a big-time utility guy. The 6-6 Pointer is a freak athlete and fills the box score at will. On a Sunday matinee at Madison Square Garden, look for Pointer’s intangibles to be the difference as St. John’s eeks out a victory."

PREDICTION: ST. JOHN’S 64, PITT 62
“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 features What To Watch This Weekend In College Hoops Plus Other Notes http://cbsloc.al/YqY8M5
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:31:20 AM by paultzman »

tnice

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
We really, really, really need Dom and CO to stay out of foul trouble to have any chance at winning this game. That means no cheapies 30 feet from the hoop for CO and no " I'm pissed that I just got stripped so I'm going to chase the guy downcourt and hammer him for no reason" fouls from Dom.

I dont see us winning this game in the high 50's or even low 60's. Gonna have to score 65+ to win this game IMHO. Where thats coming from, I have no idea.

boo3

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
 we average 68 ppg.. I agree though.  Need to avoid any prolonged offensive draughts.

derk

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Really like Woodall. He does everything well. He brings stocking stuffer stats into this game in 11 and 5 assists, shoots 46 %, 75 % Ft and 36 % from three. We need to cut him off to have a chance against Pitts front line.

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
Really like Woodall. He does everything well. He brings stocking stuffer stats into this game in 11 and 5 assists, shoots 46 %, 75 % Ft and 36 % from three. We need to cut him off to have a chance against Pitts front line.

Agree.  Solid player and the only one on Dixon's team to average near 30 minutes per game.  He's the one guy that doesn't get too much bench time.  Need to give him a tough time.  Dixon does play lots of combinations with subs.  It can be good for their production or bad st times as well. 

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
If we win on Sunday, I predict we make NCAA tourney. If we lose we still can get in, but if we pull this one out and get to 17 with 4 to play, I'd bet on us making it.
66-65 SJU

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
It's put up or shut up time. I think we'll be ready. I like that Lavin ripped them for taking it easy w a big lead on Wednesday. There can be no lulls in effort or focus against Pitt.

SJ - 68
Pitt - 56

Harrison with 27.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:56:39 PM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
If we win on Sunday, I predict we make NCAA tourney. If we lose we still can get in, but if we pull this one out and get to 17 with 4 to play, I'd bet on us making it.
66-65 SJU

I feel the same way, not to mention how much confidence the team would have after beating Pitt.   To have them playing their best and have confidence high at this point in the season is what you strive for.  It all starts this weekend. Need the victory IMO.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
No pressure on them to win as they are in NCAA's already with 20W and USF and DePaul still to come.  they have had some horrible offensive games-even in winning, hopefully the ND performance carries over. THey missed 30 shots and had 3 Offensive rebounds.  ND must have done a great job blocking out--hopefully we can match that if we are to have a chance

Poison

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
No pressure on them to win as they are in NCAA's already with 20W and USF and DePaul still to come.  they have had some horrible offensive games-even in winning, hopefully the ND performance carries over. THey missed 30 shots and had 3 Offensive rebounds.  ND must have done a great job blocking out--hopefully we can match that if we are to have a chance

I'm not sure about that. They played a pretty wimpy non conference schedule. That's why they have 20 wins. If they implode, it's possible they'll blow it. They did score 42 points off of Notre Dame's defense.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
This game is really important. I think this game is more winnable than Marquette. We win this one, and we are on the right side of the bubble going into the Providence game. I'm still waiting for the game where we play good-great ball for an entire game and not just in spurts, it's bound to happen eventually, let's hope it's tomorrow.