Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA

• 131 replies
Re: Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
curiously--or maybe not--we are not hearing from those posters who vociferously criticized Lavin for recruiring Sanchez, or said Sanchez was leaving to play in Europe, or claimed he had already left, or castigated the staff for misleading Sanchez about his prospects, or accused Lavin of lying , etc, etc. How about some posts saying --gee, I jumped to unwarranted conclusions, accused when I knew nothing, criticized with no basis in fact, etc, etc. How about a resolution to think before spouting? Then again, how silly of me to suggest such a sensible conclusion. Same type of unwarranted assumptions-criticisms going on now about Coach's decision on Harrison. Will some of us never learn? What is it they say about people who continue to repeat the same mistakes?

At the end of the day, we should forget the details. If you win 16 games, and play in the CBI, you've had a bad season. Slice it up any way you like. But it's a bad year.
this was a pretty bad year.  not norm bad...but bad.

If we win 16 games, and lose 15, we will finish w the exact same record we had after Norm's 3rd season.
the difference is norm never won anywhere...so what else could we expect?  at least lavin had a positive track record in the past.

That's true. Lavin was successful by our standards at UCLA. However, IMO, if he loses out the rest of the season, he needs to answer for this. It is not our place to question the Harrison decision because we don't know what happened. The team's record however, is 100% fair game.

Losing Sanchez was totally unexpected as was losing Harkless a year ago...with one or both, results are much different...any comparsions to the Norm years are just plain stupid

I don't think that is an objective comparison. Before year 3, Norm had an expected starting line up of Hill, Kitchen, Thomas, Hamilton & Spears. Injuries and eligibility changed our season. We won 16 games. Just like we have 16 now in year 3.

I would never trade lavin for norm but that argument is very valid.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
curiously--or maybe not--we are not hearing from those posters who vociferously criticized Lavin for recruiring Sanchez, or said Sanchez was leaving to play in Europe, or claimed he had already left, or castigated the staff for misleading Sanchez about his prospects, or accused Lavin of lying , etc, etc. How about some posts saying --gee, I jumped to unwarranted conclusions, accused when I knew nothing, criticized with no basis in fact, etc, etc. How about a resolution to think before spouting? Then again, how silly of me to suggest such a sensible conclusion. Same type of unwarranted assumptions-criticisms going on now about Coach's decision on Harrison. Will some of us never learn? What is it they say about people who continue to repeat the same mistakes?

At the end of the day, we should forget the details. If you win 16 games, and play in the CBI, you've had a bad season. Slice it up any way you like. But it's a bad year.

If we win 16 games, and lose 15, we will finish w the exact same record we had after Norm's 3rd season.
the difference is norm never won anywhere...so what else could we expect?  at least lavin had a positive track record in the past.

That's true. Lavin was successful by our standards at UCLA. However, IMO, if he loses out the rest of the season, he needs to answer for this. It is not our place to question the Harrison decision because we don't know what happened. The team's record however, is 100% fair game.

Losing Sanchez was totally unexpected as was losing Harkless a year ago...with one or both, results are much different...any comparsions to the Norm years are just plain stupid

I don't think that is an objective comparison. Before year 3, Norm had an expected starting line up of Hill, Kitchen, Thomas, Hamilton & Spears. Injuries and eligibility changed our season. We won 16 games. Just like we have 16 now in year 3.

I guess I'm just not sure of the argument then? So Norm got 16 wins once with a changing roster? First off, we already have 8 BE wins which is more than Norm ever had, and IMO is more important than overall record. AND, we still have at least 3 games left. I honestly think some of us have already forgotten just how horrible the Norm era was.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:21:14 PM by redstorm212 »

Poison

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »

I guess I'm just not sure of the argument then? So Norm got 16 wins once with a changing roster? First off, we already have 8 BE wins which is more than Norm ever had, and IMO is more important than overall record. AND, we still have at least 3 games left. I honestly think some of us have already forgotten just how horrible the Norm era was.

No, I do not want Norm back. I hated that guy. But the results of year 3 for both coaches are so close it's crazy. He went 7-9, and we'll finish this season 8-10. Are the reasons why different? Sure, but I'm sick of the same result.

boo3

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
 I'm curious what the schedules were like both seasons, out of conference games.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:18:55 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »

Norm's 3rd year (06-07)

Coaches vs. Cancer Tourney
vs. North Florida - W
vs. Navy - W
vs. Maryland - L
vs. Texas - L

vs. Illinois St - L
vs. LIU - W
vs. UMBC - W
vs. St. Francis - W
@ Niagra - W
vs. NJIT - W
vs. Columbia - W

Holiday Festival
vs. BU - W
vs. Hofstra - L

vs. Duke - L

9-6 record out of conference, only game away from CA or MSG was @ Niagra
7-9 BE record
16-15 overall
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:39:28 PM by JungleFever »

« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »

It's pathetic how many Norm vs. Lavin posts there have been lately. Makes me ashamed of this fan base. Patience not in the vocabulary I guess.

How soon we forget just how bad the Norm era actually was, when we had a group of upperclassmen winning 6 BE games. If that happens under Lavin, then by all means bitch all you want.
+100

Poison

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »

Quite honestly, Norm's schedule was actually tougher.

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »

Norm's squad only lost to Kevin Durant's Texas squad by 1 point!

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »

No, its not. That team had juniors and seniors

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »

http://realtimerpi.com/2006-2007/rpi_163_Men.html

Poison

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »

A lot of garbage teams. But he did play Duke, Maryland and Texas. Overall, this year's schedule was tougher. But it didn't have the big non conference games that we've had in the past.

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »

A lot of garbage teams. But he did play Duke, Maryland and Texas. Overall, this year's schedule was tougher. But it didn't have the big non conference games that we've had in the past.
I'd agree with that.

I miss the Duke game even though we usually lost

SJUFAN

« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »

If this was year 10 of the Lavin era, then it would be a bad year. Considering where we were as a program when he took over, its an improvement over the following year. As long as I see progress as a program then i'm satisfied because I see the forest through the trees. It's year 3! Do any of you not see the progress? I think many of you really have unrealistic expectations, only complain but offer no realistic solutions. Year 3 is nothing, look what Tom Crean did in year 3 at Indiana. It takes time folks, and we are not Indiana!

crgreen

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 05:03:10 AM »
\
If this was year 10 of the Lavin era, then it would be a bad year. Considering where we were as a program when he took over, its an improvement over the following year. As long as I see progress as a program then i'm satisfied because I see the forest through the trees. It's year 3! Do any of you not see the progress? I think many of you really have unrealistic expectations, only complain but offer no realistic solutions. Year 3 is nothing, look what Tom Crean did in year 3 at Indiana. It takes time folks, and we are not Indiana!

I think the team would also be much farther along if Steve had actually been ABLE to coach the 2nd year last season.  But that's just me.    Of course that's the excuse DUKIES have used for the 18-13 season Coach K put up in '96 his first year back from missing most the 13-18 previous season with back surgery.   For those that don't remember that 18-13 Duke team had  multiple McDonalds All Americans - Chris Collins, Ricky Price, Steve Wojciekhowki, Taymon Domzalski.  As well as high school all americans (tho not McD's)  in leading scorer Jeff Capel and leading rebounder Greg Newton.l

« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »

Norm's squad only lost to Kevin Durant's Texas squad by 1 point!

Not surprising.  We had the great Avery "sgtprh" Patterson to lead the charge in that one.

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
Back on the topic ahem... :police: Does anyone have an in depth scouting report on Sanchez? He surprisingly has very little from what I've seen. I saw 1 or 2 videos of him and I don't subscribe to any scout sites. Can anyone give a thorough breakdown of his pros and cons as well as his projections? Thanks.

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
Back on the topic ahem... :police: Does anyone have an in depth scouting report on Sanchez? He surprisingly has very little from what I've seen. I saw 1 or 2 videos of him and I don't subscribe to any scout sites. Can anyone give a thorough breakdown of his pros and cons as well as his projections? Thanks.

From what I have seen/heard think Brownlee with 2 more inches. He'll be used similarly at the top of the key. And I don't think there was anyone on here who disliked brownlees game. I know I LOVED it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Is Ryan Kelly a good comparison for Sanchez?

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
Let's hope so but doubt OS is as good a shooter as not many bigs are, or even guards for that matter.

Moose

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2013, 11:09:55 PM »

Nah
Remember who broke the Slice news