Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA

• 131 replies

DFF6

Re: Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
I'm really happy for this kid first and foremost. He deserves the success he has. I bet he comes out next year hungry, prepared and dangerous.

“@Orlandito0933: Thank you to St. John's for helping me get cleared, my familia for staying strong, and my teammates for having my back!”

This is a great story that should reverberate with recruits.

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
“@LennRobbins: With the 6-9 Sanchez in the fold, the Johnnies will have one of the top front lines in 2013-14..#stjbb”

"If players like D’Angelo Harrison and JaKarr Sampson don’t enter the NBA Draft in the spring, the Johnnies could be one of the favorites in the Big East next year now that Sanchez has been declared eligible."

Read more: NCAA clears St. John's big man Orlando Sanchez for 2013-14 - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/ncaa_clears_st_john_big_man_sanchez_t8X8mVZ3SI75GtBDmFKA8N#ixzz2MEcaQ52p
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:18:35 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »
Sooo, essentially we've just redshirted TWO senior former JC All America centers for a run NEXT year....

Was Hooper a JUCO all-american?   Because he's the only other player we have sitting out who might contribute next year. 

think he means Gift.  And i don't believe GG is All American...

He did mean Gift, I was just being an ass.   I don't think Gift will be here and if he is he'll barely step on the court.
I know nearly everyone disagrees but I think Gift plays 0% of a role in Lavin's plans.    I could be wrong, but at least I'm consistent. 

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
One of best Juco evaluators IMO;
“@JucoRecruiting: For those who haven't seen Sanchez at SJU.. He is very long & moves extremely well. Can run the court/finish above the rim/Good shot blocker”

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
He did mean Gift, I was just being an ass.   I don't think Gift will be here and if he is he'll barely step on the court.
I know nearly everyone disagrees but I think Gift plays 0% of a role in Lavin's plans.    I could be wrong, but at least I'm consistent. 

It would make absolutely no sense to redshirt Gift this year if he wasn't in Lavin's plans.  Lavin is no dope (contrary to Fun's perspective).

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »

It would make absolutely no sense to redshirt Gift this year if he wasn't in Lavin's plans.  Lavin is no dope (contrary to Fun's perspective).

Believe me to get Jordan something will happen;

"St. John’s is now at its full capacity of 13 scholarships for what should be a deep and experienced team next season.

They theoretically don’t have a scholarship to give to, say, Rysheed Jordan should he choose St. John’s over Temple and UCLA.

But things could evolve if anyone on the current team leaves by going pro or transferring. It’s also possible a current player could elect to become a walk-on, thereby opening up a scholarship for another player."

“@AdamZagoria: St. John’s Sanchez Gets Waiver; Scholarship Situation Complicated http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-johns-sanchez-gets-waiver-scholarship-situation-complicated/ #stjbb”

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »
From Gifts Bio on Red Storm Sports.com:
Earned first team NJCAA All-America honors as a sophomore in 2010-11 after leading Erie Community College to a 28-4 record and a fourth place finish in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Tournament
i doubt gift will disappoint.  i'm looking forward to seeing him again.

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
Well said Dan!
“@DanielJMartin_: St. John’s announces Orlando Sanchez has been granted year of eligibility. Amazing what happens when media pulls back curtain on NCAA #stjbb”

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »
Weren't there reports that although Amir counts as a scholarship, his tuition and expenses were being paid by the Reds?  If true, could he become a walk-on without personally incurring the cost?

gman

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
Great news! Good times ahead.

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
One of best Juco evaluators IMO;
“@JucoRecruiting: For those who haven't seen Sanchez at SJU.. He is very long & moves extremely well. Can run the court/finish above the rim/Good shot blocker”

Brad Winton is the best.  Had Sanchez number 4 last year.

And as you said if Jordan wants to come they'll make room.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
First...adding Orlando/Gift/Hooper and possibly Jordan....where does thank put us in the recruiting rankings??? That is a great class regardless if Jordan comes.

Also....Lots of people are dogging Gift for whatever reason.  I for one, am excited to see him next year with a full complament of players surrounding him.  I think too much was put on his plate and he was forced into a situation where he wasnt fully comfortable last year. 

If for nothing else, he is a guy we can throw out there that can give us 5 more fouls.  I truely believe he sees more time than us experts expect!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:16:58 PM by upstate32 »

paultzman

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
Nice kid;
“@Kieran_Lynch: Sanchez story updated with quotes. #stjbb http://www.torchonline.com/sports/2013/02/28/source-orlando-sanchez-cleared-by-ncaa/

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
First...adding Orlando/Gift/Hooper and possibly Jordan....where does thank put us in the recruiting rankings??? That is a great class regardless if Jordan comes.

Also....Lots of people are dogging Gift for whatever reason.  I for one, am excited to see him next year with a full complament of players surrounding him.  I think too much was put on his plate and he was forced into a situation where he wasnt fully comfortable last year. 

If for nothing else, he is a guy we can throw out there that can give us 5 more fouls.  I truely believe he sees more time than us experts expect!!

Agree about people dogging Gift. We all know he isn't great, but to say he doesn't have a place on the team next year is silly. 10 min off the bench to spell Obekpa or Sanchez would be great.

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »

You're not seeing big picture.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »

For  goodness sake, he's a PROVEN  9 pt, 6 reb 53% FG  Big East player.  Of COURSE he's gonna  get minutese.   He'd be our #3 scorer and #3 rebounder, and LEADING the team in FG% THIS year with his junior year production.