Notre Dame Game Discussion

• 237 replies
Re: Notre Dame Game Discussion
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
No way is he going back to espn. If he does that he will be called a failure forever. Why would he want that?

« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
The best part was Knight and Digger trying to figure out what we were doing on offense

It's especially weird because we're running Knight's motion offense.
I don't think he recognized it ;D

« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Lavin will definitely start feeling the heat because not only are we losing games, but now we are losing players for non-basketball related reasons. Nothing like shooting 18% from the field in the 2nd half on national tv AND getting ejected for fighting....I feel sick

Poison

« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
It St John's job to stop Dame!  Dame was not running up the score.  Lavin has lost this team.  And I'm starting to wonder if Lavin will come back next season.

Really? So the game is not yet in hand up by 20+ with 1 minute left? Give me a break. If it was reversed and we were up 20+ with 1 min left at MSG Lavin would order them to dribble the clock out, not shoot 3 after 3. The ND players were smirking, taunting, slapping, and getting very physical with no calls. Today was the worst it can possibly get: your best scorer is out, away from home, coming off awful losses, the refs are totally against you, the opponent shoots 50% from 3 for the game and probably 80% in the 2nd half, and we shoot 7% from 3 and 30% from the field, yet they run up the score.

Who cares? The season was over even before Harrison was gone...I don't think anyone in their right minds thought we were ready for ND away, Marquette, Pitt, etc. We literally have zero offense. Z-E-R-O. Zilch. None. Nada. Nothing. Brick, brick, brick, brick, brick, roll out of rim, air ball, brick, brick. I am not mad we fought after all this BS going on.

That is BS. The season was NOT over before Harrison was suspended. Lavin threw this season away.

« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
The best part was Knight and Digger trying to figure out what we were doing on offense

It's especially weird because we're running Knight's motion offense.
I don't think he recognized it ;D
it was his motion offense minus Scott May

« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
I'm sure all the posters calling for Lavs head cause of this skirmish were all calling for carnesecca's head after the providence game in 1988...... Jayson Williams punched a Prov player then beat up a fan in the stands. n the heat of the moment a 19 yr old kid may do something stupid so lets scrap the whole program. Some of the posters here are pathetic

« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
Amazing how drastic things can change in 20 minutes of basketball.  I went from thinking we could play ourselves back on the bubble, to now wondering if Lavin has lost this team. 

Dom quit well before the fight....Dom stopped playing hard once we went down by 5 early in the 2nd half.   

« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
2 years ago I said the Big East was going to brake up and  I was laughed at on here. And I was correct.  I just have that same feeling Lavin is going back to ESPN real soon!
which of your 21 posts was that prediction. For some reason I cant remember buried in with all your other predictions here :)

« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
Regardless if Harrison comes back or not this is not a top 25 team.  We all know they have to many holes and the offense is terrible to watch.  Lavin will have the same amount of time as Norm and if he doesn't produce then he will be gone.  I think he has 2 more year's to prove himself or fail.

Foad

« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
The ND players were smirking, taunting, slapping, and getting very physical with no calls. 

Stop crying you big girl's blouse. ND punked us and we couldn't even take getting punked like men. And now you're whining about it. Waa, waa, they were taunting us. Good grief.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »
What Dom did was wrong but he's the only guy that plays with pride. ND is soft and ran over us in the second half. Gumps like Beischeid won't mess with him again

« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
I'm sure all the posters calling for Lavs head cause of this skirmish were all calling for carnesecca's head after the providence game in 1988...... Jayson Williams punched a Prov player then beat up a fan in the stands. n the heat of the moment a 19 yr old kid may do something stupid so lets scrap the whole program. Some of the posters here are pathetic

That game didn't come two games after he threw Sealy off the team for chronic eye rolling and we scored more than 40 points that game. And Williams could fight and it was a different era. No on is calling for Lavin's job, but we stink right now, have a terrible offense and are in disarray. Them are the facts Jack!

paultzman

« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
“@ECoastBias: Lavin, re: the fight: "Talking trash, it's not going to elevate or move us forward in terms of winning a basketball game." #stjbb”

Nor is our "Non Motion" offense and a roster without shooters or legitimate offensive post player. Need basketball players, not a decathlon team Coach.

bk8664

« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
I better appreciate that we are the "youngest, worst shooting, poorly constructed team in the country".
+1
 It couldn't be more true.   And, not to pile on - but why the hell can't we make adjustments mid game?   When it goes bad, it goes BAD in a hurry.
Lavin may not be playing with a full arsenal right now (young, no d'angelo etc)  but he should be getting better results than this.   Hard to argue with that.

We played well against Cincy and ND the first time, other than that all we've done is capitalize on a real easy stretch of games against DePaul/SH/Rutgers.   
Is it fair to say the season's been a disappointment?    ... I'm leaning in that direction.   But let's see how we prepare for Marquette and the BE tournament.  Maybe they'll surprise us.   

I don't think our Big East record is really a disappointment, if you had told someone before the season started that we wouldn't have Sanchez, Branch would be hurt and Harrison would be suspended.   But the real disappointment I think is the lack of certain players' progress from start of the season to now.  And the half-court offense is a massive disappointment.

Let's analyze man by man:
Obekpa: probably most improved this year during the season.  He improved his rebounding tremendously, shown some signs as a passer and consistently is an elite shot blocker.  Free throw shooting and offensive moves did not improve.

Sampson - Improved somewhat, playing more of an assertive role.  But his shot selection I feel got worse as the season went along as he asserted himself.  We know that needs to get stronger, improve his handle, and extend his range.   His mid-range game was good for all season.

Greene - didn't really improve during the year; he's forced to play out of position for a lot of the season.  Unfortunately his shooting did not improve at all, also he didn't make any progress in terms of creating for others.  He must improve his shooting.

Harrison - didn't improve - probably regressed, especially when you consider his efficiency of shot selection and shooting percentages.

Pointer - got better with free throw shooting, and some three point shooting and dribbling.  Notwithstanding his fight tonight.  He was good on defense.  He moderately improved almost all aspects of his game.  He still picks up ticky-tack fouls.  He must learn to shoot better.

Branch - book is still open - shows some real passing ability.  But his grade is really an 'incomplete' because of his injury. He seemed slow out there today, and I bet his knee has a lot to do with it.  His shot was only good for a game or two.  I hope it gets better.

Garrett - did not improve.  regressed on free throw shooting.
Borgault - did not improve really, besides getting a little more playing time.
Jones - Incomplete data. He did not play
Felix - Incomplete data. He did not play
Sanchez - incomplete. We have no idea.

I think our defense overall got better.   We have shown some solid minutes with our defense.  However, our half court offense made zero progress.   

I think that most people would be disappointed that we really didn't improve as the season progressed. Especially when you consider how young we were and they could have learned so much.

But for next year, I'm still optimistically hopeful.  A full-time PG, a passing Sanchez, a 2nd year Sampson and   a tamed Harrison should make the offense better. We just need to take 1 or 2 million jump shots collectively this off-season.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:34:42 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
Anyone crying about Dame shooting 3's in the last 2 mins should have watched the Missouri game against Ark they were still pressing up 30.  Man up and get a stop!  So this crap about Brey running up the score is dumb.

« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
These are a bunch of young men from inner cities playing an aggressive game filled with emotion and passion. SJ is a snakebitten team that has had a massive dark cloud over Queens for a decade now. It's pretty ironic the school is on "Utopia". Let's rename it to "Misery Parkway". Just remember, 1) he was provoked for a while 2) he tried to avoid it but the ND player was persistent 3) fights happen...it's not that shocking 4) the season was over anyway so who cares 5) the ND player is now suspended too, so it wasn't as 1 sided as you think.

Give Lavin a break...I think he made a massive mistake kicking Harrison out, but there is nothing you can do about kids from the inner city fighting in a heated game. That's just human nature and to be honest it's common in the inner city. Not excusing it, but there were reasons. I'd rather this team punch back than get mounted and humped by a weasel ND team. It's been about as depressing and negative in SJ basketball for a while as it can possibly be...that mixed with getting blown out without your top player, having refs 1 sided, taunting and running up the score makes for an environment built perfectly to get into a skirmish.

bk8664

« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
[/quote]

Love that movie

boo3

« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
 I agree. This is BE basketball. Stop your opponent if you don't like them running up the score.  Or how about a good hard foul.  Throwing punches is weak.  If your pissed because the opponents are laughing at you...play better!

« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
These are a bunch of young men from inner cities playing an aggressive game filled with emotion and passion. SJ is a snakebitten team that has had a massive dark cloud over Queens for a decade now. It's pretty ironic the school is on "Utopia". Let's rename it to "Misery Parkway". Just remember, 1) he was provoked for a while 2) he tried to avoid it but the ND player was persistent 3) fights happen...it's not that shocking 4) the season was over anyway so who cares 5) the ND player is now suspended too, so it wasn't as 1 sided as you think.

Give Lavin a break...I think he made a massive mistake kicking Harrison out, but there is nothing you can do about kids from the inner city fighting in a heated game. That's just human nature and to be honest it's common in the inner city. Not excusing it, but there were reasons. I'd rather this team punch back than get mounted and humped by a weasel ND team. It's been about as depressing and negative in SJ basketball for a while as it can possibly be...that mixed with getting blown out without your top player, having refs 1 sided, taunting and running up the score makes for an environment built perfectly to get into a skirmish.

You just described 75% of the teams in the NCAA. Personally I have no problem with fighting but I do enjoy the irony of it happening two games after our best player was kicked off team for less.

paultzman

« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
After watching this,  Rysheed Jordan just looked up the Cali area code & Orlando called NCAA and said, "Never mind"

Just working off frustration.