Next Season

• 280 replies
Re: Next Season
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »
Random, but I was recently in Florida on line to get some food and an older man taps me and asks "How the Johnnies doing?". Was pretty cool to get that in Florida. Apparently the guy was a Providence alum and followed both PC and SJ very closely. He even watched us in the NIT and said we would be good next year. We also talked about the new conference. Nice to see that it's a larger brand than I realize sometimes.

You met Shurina Cheese?
Could not have been cheese cause cheese never would have said we will be good next year.  :)

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
Random, but I was recently in Florida on line to get some food and an older man taps me and asks "How the Johnnies doing?". Was pretty cool to get that in Florida. Apparently the guy was a Providence alum and followed both PC and SJ very closely. He even watched us in the NIT and said we would be good next year. We also talked about the new conference. Nice to see that it's a larger brand than I realize sometimes.

He probably thinks the program is in shambles right now after talking to you.

paultzman

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
“@ECoastBias: Wait 'til next year? Two projections bullish on the Johnnies chances #stjbb http://sbn.to/Z3uoK6

boo3

« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
What are the chances,  a NYer in Florida    ?  Crazy. 

« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/22036310

Next year top 25

Wonder if we would make the cut at #25 or #26 if the guys know we will have Harrison back and land Jordan.

jr49

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
We Cinderella if coach recruits a couple of top 100 and a batch of 200s. Then we be Cinderella if we do good. If he gets us top ten PG and top 20 center every year, then we big time, and we belong. We are going to be what Steve makes us. 

uwsfan

« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
We Cinderella if coach recruits a couple of top 100 and a batch of 200s. Then we be Cinderella if we do good. If he gets us top ten PG and top 20 center every year, then we big time, and we belong. We are going to be what Steve makes us.

"cinderella" ?!

A major conference team full of top 100 recruits and rich tradition is not a cinderella.

And next years team will have elite level talent. Anything lower than top-20 ranking and Sweet-16 will be a dissapointment imo.

Poison

« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »

"cinderella" ?!

A major conference team full of top 100 recruits and rich tradition is not a cinderella.

And next years team will have elite level talent. Anything lower than top-20 ranking and Sweet-16 will be a dissapointment imo.

I agree. No more excuses.

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »

"cinderella" ?!

So tempting for me to agree. Deep down I do, but I just feel our program is not ready for that yet. Until this team proves it can consistently play to the level it is capable of I will have to hold back. Even with Harrison and Jordan coming I think we hang around #25 if things go right. It's hard to get ranked in such a deep conference especially when we have yet to prove we can consistently play at a high level. I just hope we get Jordan and everyone gels next year somehow.

gman

« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
I hope we start the season unranked. Motivate the guys and surprise people

crgreen

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »
So, right now it appears we return EVERYONE from last years team, while adding:  God's Gift Achiuwa at C/PF, Orlando Sanchez at PF/C, Max Hooper at SF/SG, and now Rysheed Jordan at PG/SG (I put the SG there because Jamal/Rysheed on the court at the same time isn't out of the question, and I have Jamal as a PG only)?

mkras99

« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »
So, right now it appears we return EVERYONE from last years team, while adding:  God's Gift Achiuwa at C/PF, Orlando Sanchez at PF/C, Max Hooper at SF/SG, and now Rysheed Jordan at PG/SG (I put the SG there because Jamal/Rysheed on the court at the same time isn't out of the question, and I have Jamal as a PG only)?

Lose Amir.

redslope

« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »

Lose Amir.

and his 20 minutes are necessary as lots of new talent; also if he doesn't leave-no room at the inn for Sheed so would you prefer Amir to Sheed???????

mkras99

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »

Lose Amir.

and his 20 minutes are necessary as lots of new talent; also if he doesn't leave-no room at the inn for Sheed so would you prefer Amir to Sheed???????

I was responding to Crgreen's post that we have everyone coming back.  Has nothing to do with who I'd prefer, Amir's minutes, etc.

MCNPA

« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
We can be really good next year because great teams start with the PG.  look how Miami played with Larkin.  Rysheed is a special talent.  He will create a lot of looks for others and be a threat on his own.  I think he will change much of how we look when we are on offense. 

crgreen

« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »

Lose Amir.

Wow - Brain freeze on my part.   So we gain players at every position (players primary positions), EXCEPT the position we've lost one at!  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »
Well CR, that depends.  Was Amir a SF or PF?  We do gain Hooper SF and Orlando PF. 

« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »

"cinderella" ?!

So tempting for me to agree. Deep down I do, but I just feel our program is not ready for that yet. Until this team proves it can consistently play to the level it is capable of I will have to hold back. Even with Harrison and Jordan coming I think we hang around #25 if things go right. It's hard to get ranked in such a deep conference especially when we have yet to prove we can consistently play at a high level. I just hope we get Jordan and everyone gels next year somehow.
what deep conference are you talking about?  i'd say only marquette is better than us on paper. 
barring choke jobs against the unc asheville's of the world, we should be flirting with top ten at least part of the season.

derk

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »

"cinderella" ?!

We're still young in terms of tournament experience but we watch many teams who jump up from nowhere to have runs in the dance. But we are not young anymore. Expecting big things from this group is not a reach anymore. If this group cannot be consistent, at this point, there is something wrong. No more kid gloves.