Re: FINAL GRADES
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
Glad to amuse you..

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
"Fans" - F-

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »
Anybody that grades the Aggie higher than the triangle is blind or predjudiced.  Branch shot 17% from the field after he returned.  Phil would have been murdered on this board if he shot like that.

Phil lead the team in minutes, handled the ball a ton and had only 43 turnovers.  He's behind D'lo in our guard heirarchy but he was certainly better and way more valuable than Jamal this season. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Name one game where it was super apparent lavin strategically coached us to a victory this year. And nobody mention the notre dame game with that freaking small lineup we do that crap every game. And ND coach did us a favor benching Cooley that long. So next?

Super apparent..... Can you tell us were he strategically cost us a game and it wasn't the execution? Unless your holding a clip board on the side lines or wearing a Jersey, we can't say what he did or didn't do. All we see is the results. Plenty of people wanted Marco to get more time, glad everyone finally sees he is not the solution. None of us know the players' abilities better than Lavin, we need to stop pretending like we do.

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
Just don't get some people d'lo c's and D's we were 16-11 with him and 1-5 (barely) without him. Yeah he had some off the court stuff but when he put his uniform on he balled out. Wake up. And don't complain about his shot percentage or lack there of, flawed roster make up has a lot to do with his seemingly on court defecincies.

The realization that your team needs you to be the main scorer and a hurt finger can really kill that shot percentage. Not to mention he never had the best shot selection to start with.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
"Fans" - F-

Overall, the fan support was better than in recent years. In both Alumni and at MSG.

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
 Quote-Can you tell us were he strategically cost us a game and it wasn't the execution?

Suspending Harrison cost us 2 or 3 ;)

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Name one game where it was super apparent lavin strategically coached us to a victory this year. And nobody mention the notre dame game with that freaking small lineup we do that crap every game. And ND coach did us a favor benching Cooley that long. So next?

Coaching was not the sole reason we won or lost any game this season, so that is an extremely flawed argument.

At a point during this season, many posters on this board jumped off the deep end when it came to criticizing Lavin's in-game coaching, and just about everything else he did (including recruiting, LOL  ::) ) and put a microscope up to every move he made. He was to blame for the losses, while not getting credit when we did win. These same posters completely disregarded the fact that we were dealing with an extremely young team.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
These same posters completely disregarded the fact that we were dealing with an extremely young team.

Good point. That never came up.

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
These same posters completely disregarded the fact that we were dealing with an extremely young team.

i guess they remember uconn won its last national championship with seven freshmen.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »

i guess they remember uconn won its last national championship with seven freshmen.

My friend.

I'm the first to complain about the phrase being beaten to a pulp this year but lets not ignore facts.

Kemba poured in 24 a game and was NOT a freshman
They had 5 freshman that played more than 7 games.
2 of those players were Giffey and Olander who averaged both 10 mpg and 2 ppg.  So they were non factors.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »

Yeah and we had 3 seniors  ::)

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »

It came up a lot, just was disregarded.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Lavin- D+: When they first hired him I was his biggest fan, but the honeymoon period is over. He's been able to bring some nice talent here over the years, but that hasn't translated to wins yet. Yet to land a recruit in 2013. An awful in game coach in my opinion. His delving out of playing time made little sense to me. Rarely did he make in game adjustments that worked. Rarely did he run any sort of a set offense. Running the weave all game isn't going to work at this level. MUST MUST MUST hire an Xs and Os guy for next season. Losing Dunlap clearly hurt this team a lot. Must have impact recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015. Anything less than an NCAA tourny appearance next year, and I would consider firing him if there was a solid replacement available.

How many of you ever been a coach or played organized ball at any level? Why is it not possible that the players are not executing? To think Lavin, a high major D-1 coach, does not know X's and O's is foolish. Can we give Lavin more than two years? Just a suggestion. Offenses look so much better when you have players who make plays. No matter what offense you design, the players on the court have to make a play. We lack playmakers and shotmakers. Unless you know of an offense that removes the defense from the court, this rebuilding process is going to take more than two recruiting classes. Lets try and enjoy the ride.

A lot of people don't understand "rebuilding" around here. They wanted immediate success and didn't get it. I too expected better at this point, but I'm not going to say its all Lavin's fault. The cancer was a major setback, harkless going pro was unexpected, and those things are oit of his control. he has made some poor recruiting decisions in term of recruiting all athletes, no guys who can hit a jumper or 3 pointer. The whole "Lavin can't coach" thing is so overblown it's ridiculous. He makes some questionable decisions sure but to claim that he is a horrible in game coach after one season of missing the tourney with nothing but underclass men is absurd, especially after he coached a team of losers to the tourney in year one.

Great post.  Moe being too good set us back for sure.  I look at this year's draft and I really think I would consider taking him #1 overall if he was still around.  He would have been the best player in the tournament I believe and at a position SF/PF  (think John Wallace) that can carry a team.   

I really think that if Sampson qualified last year Moe would have been hidden enough and even somewhat overshadowed by Sampson's ridiculous athleticisim that he may have stayed another year.  We'll never know at this point, but if Sampson qualified and we had both him and Moe back as second-year guys....wow.  Elite 8 type of a team.

I have full confidence in the staff.  We haven't seen Lavin's plan fully unfold, and I really think we are fortunate enough to bring back an experienced Sanchez for a season we could go much further in.  Good times ahead...best thing about freshmen is they become sophs.  Best thing about sophs is they become juniors.

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
Lavin- D+: When they first hired him I was his biggest fan, but the honeymoon period is over. He's been able to bring some nice talent here over the years, but that hasn't translated to wins yet. Yet to land a recruit in 2013. An awful in game coach in my opinion. His delving out of playing time made little sense to me. Rarely did he make in game adjustments that worked. Rarely did he run any sort of a set offense. Running the weave all game isn't going to work at this level. MUST MUST MUST hire an Xs and Os guy for next season. Losing Dunlap clearly hurt this team a lot. Must have impact recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015. Anything less than an NCAA tourny appearance next year, and I would consider firing him if there was a solid replacement available.

How many of you ever been a coach or played organized ball at any level? Why is it not possible that the players are not executing? To think Lavin, a high major D-1 coach, does not know X's and O's is foolish. Can we give Lavin more than two years? Just a suggestion. Offenses look so much better when you have players who make plays. No matter what offense you design, the players on the court have to make a play. We lack playmakers and shotmakers. Unless you know of an offense that removes the defense from the court, this rebuilding process is going to take more than two recruiting classes. Lets try and enjoy the ride.

A lot of people don't understand "rebuilding" around here. They wanted immediate success and didn't get it. I too expected better at this point, but I'm not going to say its all Lavin's fault. The cancer was a major setback, harkless going pro was unexpected, and those things are oit of his control. he has made some poor recruiting decisions in term of recruiting all athletes, no guys who can hit a jumper or 3 pointer. The whole "Lavin can't coach" thing is so overblown it's ridiculous. He makes some questionable decisions sure but to claim that he is a horrible in game coach after one season of missing the tourney with nothing but underclass men is absurd, especially after he coached a team of losers to the tourney in year one.

Great post.  Moe being too good set us back for sure.  I look at this year's draft and I really think I would consider taking him #1 overall if he was still around.  He would have been the best player in the tournament I believe and at a position SF/PF  (think John Wallace) that can carry a team.   

I really think that if Sampson qualified last year Moe would have been hidden enough and even somewhat overshadowed by Sampson's ridiculous athleticisim that he may have stayed another year.  We'll never know at this point, but if Sampson qualified and we had both him and Moe back as second-year guys....wow.  Elite 8 type of a team.

I have full confidence in the staff.  We haven't seen Lavin's plan fully unfold, and I really think we are fortunate enough to bring back an experienced Sanchez for a season we could go much further in.  Good times ahead...best thing about freshmen is they become sophs.  Best thing about sophs is they become juniors.

That is true, I never really thought about that. That was probably Lavin's plan. Unfortunately it didn't pan out, but we are in great hands with Lavin.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

That is true, I never really thought about that. That was probably Lavin's plan. Unfortunately it didn't pan out, but we are in great hands with Lavin.

That wascally wavin. His top secret plan - dare I call it Machiavellian? - was to keep NBA first round draft pick Mo Harkless hidden in the shadow of NBA not first round pick Jakarr Sampson. Had he succeeded instead of the teen win seasons we've been treated to SJ would be in the Elite 8 - no doubt led by their starting PG, 0.000 percent from the floor "good shooter" David Lipscomb - and Mo Harkless would the number one pick in the draft. This brilliant scheme fell apart only when Lavin was unable to manage to get Sampson into college. Whoopsie daisy. Fortunately the utter failure of Lavin's diabolical plan is further proof of his tactical genius.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:14:09 AM by Foad »

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

That wascally wavin. His top secret plan - dare I call it Machiavellian? - was to keep NBA first round draft pick Mo Harkless hidden in the shadow of NBA not first round pick Jakarr Sampson. Had he succeeded instead of the teen win seasons we've been treated to SJ would be in the Elite 8 - no doubt led by their starting PG, 0.000 percent from the floor "good shooter" David Lipscomb - and Mo Harkless would the number one pick in the draft. This brilliant scheme fell apart only when Lavin was unable to manage to get Sampson into college. Whoopsie daisy. Fortunately the utter failure of Lavin's diabolical plan is further proof of his tactical genius.

;D You are good.

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »
Marillac
If you can't see Harkless is better than Sampson yet, I think you should stick to posting about Geno and Taurausi threesomes. 

DFF6

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »

You're finally catching on to the brilliance of Lavin's game plan!  Did you think it was merely a coincidence that Lavin's Father passed away right before the toughest stretch of STJ's schedule??   All part of Lavin's master plan to deflect the team's ineptitude on things other than himself.  Old Niccolò could not have devised a more ingeniously deceptive strategy himself.

Chilleb

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
The more and more you guys point to the contrary of my question instead of answering my question straight up just shows the validity in the statement, all I see is a bunch of posters putting words in my mouth . I did not in any way shape or form say that coaching was the SOLE reason the season went the way it did , however I did say that it didn't help our cause either.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:32:59 AM by Chilleb »