Max hooper

• 115 replies
Re: Max hooper
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
I think you guys are too tough on Bourgault.  Last year was the worst possible situation for him.  We have a team with only one other threat from the outside, no inside scoring threat, horrible ball movement, no true PG, a below average team bball IQ, etc. 

You could tell he has a high basketball IQ and wants to take good shots.  He was reluctant in the beginning but I got the sense that all he heard all week was "when you get it shoot it you...you need to be more aggressive." Nobody else can make them at all, so him shooting hurried shots was probably the best shot we could have hoped for. 

Minutes are going to be enough toughe to find this year, but I expect him to come back as a much better player with a year of film, conditioning, and knowing what to work on.

No excuses for missing wide open 3's with no opponents within 5 ft of you. He had plenty of those. Some games it seemed he missed 9-12 points while being wide open.

TONYD3

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:40 PM »
What has Marco done to prove that he belongs here? Not trying to be mean.

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
IN THE RAIN! Nik Stauskas shoots 92% (70/76) 46 in a row in 5 minutes

Very impressive, but I still think what Max did was even tougher.  Didn't Max hit 83% in the same five minute span while hoisting up 53 more shots?  I can't remember his % on the twitter pics of him shooting over 500, but I thought they were over 80% as well.

I think a lot of good shooters at the college level can go on runs in short sample sizes like this.  What guy on this board hasn't hit 18 or 19 out of 20 at some point in their lives messing around in the gym? 

dR3w

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
Who gets up higher on their "jump" shot, Hooper or Stauskas?  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

Very impressive, but I still think what Max did was even tougher.  Didn't Max hit 83% in the same five minute span while hoisting up 53 more shots?  I can't remember his % on the twitter pics of him shooting over 500, but I thought they were over 80% as well.

I think a lot of good shooters at the college level can go on runs in short sample sizes like this.  What guy on this board hasn't hit 18 or 19 out of 20 at some point in their lives messing around in the gym?

I think Stauskas has video of the 150 shot thing that Hooper did.  Believe that Hooper makes 2 or 3 shots more than Stauskas.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:18:30 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
Stauskas recruited by Michigan, Georgetown and Kansas. Enough said.

boo3

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
 These stunts are just gimmicks.  Impressive, sure. Meaningful, absolutely not.  Show me the guy who hits shots with a man in his face, in a hot , opposing teams gym..  That's the guy I want.

This is just harlem globetrotter bs....

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
These stunts are just gimmicks.  Impressive, sure. Meaningful, absolutely not.  Show me the guy who hits shots with a man in his face, in a hot , opposing teams gym..  That's the guy I want.

Exactly

crgreen

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »

Just a reminder, most of the Globetrotters were fine collegiate players.  "Harlem Globetrotter BS" takes an incredible amount of hard work and skill.    "Special K" Kevin Daley was runner up for NAIA Player of the Year - a 27 pt a game scorer at Azusa-Pacific.   "Big Easy" Nate Lofton was a 13 pt 11 reb soph at NE Louisiana before leaving for the pros.  "Buckets" Anthony Blakes was Wyoming's leading scorer back in 1999-2000.    And we all know that once upon a time "Slick" Willie Shaw was a 13.8 pt scorer for St. Johns....

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

LJSA

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

Im very impressed by the landscapin.

Yeah, not a shock that he became a good shooter if he grew up with that in his yard.

boo3

« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »

Just a reminder, most of the Globetrotters were fine collegiate players.  "Harlem Globetrotter BS" takes an incredible amount of hard work and skill.    "Special K" Kevin Daley was runner up for NAIA Player of the Year - a 27 pt a game scorer at Azusa-Pacific.   "Big Easy" Nate Lofton was a 13 pt 11 reb soph at NE Louisiana before leaving for the pros.  "Buckets" Anthony Blakes was Wyoming's leading scorer back in 1999-2000.    And we all know that once upon a time "Slick" Willie Shaw was a 13.8 pt scorer for St. Johns....

I said it was impressive.  It also doesn't mean squat.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
I wouldn't say it means nothing.  A guy makes 80 something percent jacking up 150 threes in 5 minutes, it says he can shoot.  Most guys can't hit 80% free throws standing still from a lot closer distance over the course of an entire season.  Hooper did Set Mater Dei's record and hit 50% against competition there.  He also played for the best prep team around at Brewster and hit them at a good pinch there.

Is he good enough to hit them against D1 college competition?  That remains to be seen.  I'll tell you though that he's good enough of a shooter that he can't be left unguarded.  It isn't the first time he has shot against defenders.  If we can get him open off screens, I think there's a good shot he'll make the shots he gets.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:12:02 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
Stauskas recruited by Michigan, Georgetown and Kansas. Enough said.

Those schools will need to recruit the guy in the beard, too.

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain and Connie "The Hawk" Hawkins weren't too bad either.