ACC invite....

• 99 replies
Re: ACC invite....
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »
Memphis was able to be great when it was them and everyone else in conference USA by scheduling great out of conf games, having a good coach and tradition and facilities.

LJSA

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:29 AM »
Looks like the ACC isnt going to be changing for a while.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/4/22/4252900/acc-media-rights-deal-conference-realignment

So WF earns the same $20MM as FSU.  And Purdue football pulls in more than FSU. And ND earns the $20MM plus the NBC money.  I have a feeling there are pissed off FSU football people.

Probably why there were rumors of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

MCNPA

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »
This sucks for UConn and Cincy. Looks like they are stuck in that joke of a conference for the foreseeable future. Do you think either school would be willing to downgrade it's football, and put it into a lesser conference (not that the AAC is great anyway) and join the Big East for all other sports including hoops? And would we even want them?

And hopefully this is good for us... if Cinci and UCONN take steps backwards recruiting-wise because of their perceived inferior conference, St. John's really might be able to slide in take their fair share of upper echelon recruits that either one might have landed.   It might take a year or two, but I'm hopeful UCONN takes a big hit from their AAC conference affiliation.  BC is going to continue to be terrible.  Rutgers, Seton Hall can't seem to get out of their own way.    This could set up nicely for us.

We are already landing our fair share of uppe echelon recruits.  We took Harkless away from Uconn and he's now in the NBA.  We took Jakarr from Kansas and he too will be an NBA player.  Last one we landed last year was Obekpa who lead the nation in blocked shots.  Last week we landed a top 20 player whom UCLA coveted. 

We are certainly already landing top notch kids and will continue to do so regardless of conference.  If Rysheed Jordan isn't an indication of that, then I don't know what is. 

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:20 AM »
Didn't we also lose a top local talent to UCLA last year?

sju89tr

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
Didn't we also lose a top local talent to UCLA last year?

Can't win them all. You want to get all of them but if you covet the big time kids, getting 1/3 pf your targets is pretty good. 

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
Why the negative comeback, Marco?  It doesn't negate the fact that we have beaten out some top programs for recruits lately.

sju89tr

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
Why the negative comeback, Marco?  It doesn't negate the fact that we have beaten out some top programs for recruits lately.

Almost like sour grapes that St Johns landed a top 25 kid

Pete88

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
Why the negative comeback, Marco?

Do you really need to ask? 

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
This sucks for UConn and Cincy. Looks like they are stuck in that joke of a conference for the foreseeable future. Do you think either school would be willing to downgrade it's football, and put it into a lesser conference (not that the AAC is great anyway) and join the Big East for all other sports including hoops? And would we even want them?

And hopefully this is good for us... if Cinci and UCONN take steps backwards recruiting-wise because of their perceived inferior conference, St. John's really might be able to slide in take their fair share of upper echelon recruits that either one might have landed.   It might take a year or two, but I'm hopeful UCONN takes a big hit from their AAC conference affiliation.  BC is going to continue to be terrible.  Rutgers, Seton Hall can't seem to get out of their own way.    This could set up nicely for us.

We are already landing our fair share of uppe echelon recruits.  We took Harkless away from Uconn and he's now in the NBA.  We took Jakarr from Kansas and he too will be an NBA player.  Last one we landed last year was Obekpa who lead the nation in blocked shots.  Last week we landed a top 20 player whom UCLA coveted. 

We are certainly already landing top notch kids and will continue to do so regardless of conference.  If Rysheed Jordan isn't an indication of that, then I don't know what is. 
it's dangerous for us to be in a lesser conference than this time last year. for the most part, lavin can play with the big boys...but i don't see too many mcdaa's banging on our doors.  down the road, it could be even tougher.

desco80

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »

it's dangerous for us to be in a lesser conference than this time last year. for the most part, lavin can play with the big boys...but i don't see too many mcdaa's banging on our doors.  down the road, it could be even tougher.

At what point in our history have McDAA ever been knocking down our doors?   
All Americans don't even knock down Georgetown's doors.   

We can be very competitive in this conference.   And that's all that matters.   
I root for St Johns, not the Big East conference.   To be honest most of us hate UCONN and Syracuse.  And, I really don't feel like not being in a conference with them will substantially effect our basketball team in a negative way.   Maybe a little, but not much.   We've been irrelevant for a decade and our conference was at its peak.  Didn't help us much.   Conversely Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, VCU have had a great decade and their conferences are mostly a joke.   

If Lavin keeps proving he can get kids in the NBA, then the recruits will want to play for him.   That's all that matters for our team.  The conference talk has become exhausting to a lot of fans.   

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »

I root for St Johns, not the Big East conference.   To be honest most of us hate UCONN and Syracuse.  And, I really don't feel like not being in a conference with them will substantially effect our basketball team in a negative way.   Maybe a little, but not much.   We've been irrelevant for a decade and our conference was at its peak.  Didn't help us much.   Conversely Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, VCU have had a great decade and their conferences are mostly a joke.   

If Lavin keeps proving he can get kids in the NBA, then the recruits will want to play for him.   That's all that matters for our team.  The conference talk has become exhausting to a lot of fans.   

Amen brother
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »

Agree Desco.  Also consider that Lavin just landed his highest ranked recruit in his tenure at SJU (Rysheed), to the new Big East.  Thus far no sign of it hurting SJU and like you said, I feel the new league could be just as good or better for us overall.

jr49

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »

I kinda asked why he swiped at Lavin and he called me Francis. I'm certainly not worthy to share that name with the new main man. He's sorta big on the board. I'll ask again. Marco, you like the Johnnies? OK if you don't.

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »

I kinda asked why he swiped at Lavin and he called me Francis. I'm certainly nott worthy to share that name with the new main man. He's sorta big on the board. I'll ask again. Marco, you like the Johnnies? OK if you don't.

Been a St Johns fan since I shat my diapers.

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Ha if you read these boards you know it is double standard central all the time.  A Big East ROY gets minimal love, but a 23 year old guard who transfers away from top competition to play comp akin to a really good high school league gets 24/7 praise.  Forget about a coach takes a team that never won jack to top 20 ranking his first year and a handful of top 10 upsets (and then had a cancer); let's praise a guy who took the most talented team in his league (by a landslide) to back-to-back NCAA tourneys against joke competition.  A program gets a top 20 commit; the other one gets a random transfer who wasn't playing, failed out, or was afraid of better comp, but the latter is celebrated while the former is ignored. Objectivity goes out the window.  It is par for the course, and shouldn't be viewed otherwise.

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »

I kinda asked why he swiped at Lavin and he called me Francis. I'm certainly nott worthy to share that name with the new main man. He's sorta big on the board. I'll ask again. Marco, you like the Johnnies? OK if you don't.

i bet that's pretty recent.

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
For the first time in a long time, STJ has the roster with the highest rated recruits in the conference.  Nearly every quantifiable measure of high school recruiting rankings has us at the top of the conference...and these aren't all underclassmen anymore.  It was getting pretty tiring watching Syracuse and Louisville lose tons of talent every year, just to see them reload with more top 100 talent and top recruits that were in the shadows for 1-3 years. I think Coach Lavin could have had us there very soon, but we are there now in the new Big East.

Next year's roster has six top 75 RSCI kids (five ranked #52 or better). Not even Georgetown has that.  Of course, rankings aren't everything, but if given a choice every coach in the country would choose to have a roster comprised of top 100 talent instead of trying to find diamonds in the rough. 

bk8664

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
For the first time in a long time, STJ has the roster with the highest rated recruits in the conference.  Nearly every quantifiable measure of high school recruiting rankings has us at the top of the conference...and these aren't all underclassmen anymore.  It was getting pretty tiring watching Syracuse and Louisville lose tons of talent every year, just to see them reload with more top 100 talent and top recruits that were in the shadows for 1-3 years. I think Coach Lavin could have had us there very soon, but we are there now in the new Big East.

Next year's roster has six top 75 RSCI kids (five ranked #52 or better). Not even Georgetown has that.  Of course, rankings aren't everything, but if given a choice every coach in the country would choose to have a roster comprised of top 100 talent instead of trying to find diamonds in the rough.

Marillac, you are absolutely right.  It's great to finally be here.    Also, as a shout-out to CRGreen -in one of his postings sometimes in the last day or two he mentioned that Rysheed Jordan (along with others already on the team) adding to being a 'magnet' to draw other elite prospects here.   If a top 20ish kid from Philly can want to play here, then it certainly seems that other elite players can as well.   

Lavin is seemingly playing poker with a full stack of chips right now - playing from a position of strength.  I'm looking forward to watching him push around the short stacks on the tables and hopefully hold our own with the Phil Ivey's of the world.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:35:09 PM by bk8664 »

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »

Marillac, you are absolutely right.  It's great to finally be here.    Also, as a shout-out to CRGreen -in one of his postings sometimes in the last day or two he mentioned that Rysheed Jordan (along with others already on the team) adding to being a 'magnet' to draw other elite prospects here.   If a top 20ish kid from Philly can want to play here, then it certainly seems that elite players can as well.   

Lavin is seemingly playing poker with a full stack of chips right now - playing from a position of strength.  I'm looking forward to watching him push around the short stacks on the tables and hopefully hold our own with the Phil Ivey's of the world.

Much respect to Phil Greene for helping with Jordan.  They will be competing for minutes and Greene could have easily tried to keep Jordan away instead developing a relationship with him and getting him on board.  If we win, we'll get the top recruits.  It's that easy from here on out. 

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

i bet that's pretty recent.

Since 2007