Summer Europe Trip

• 223 replies

paultzman

Re: Summer Europe Trip
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
“@DickieV: Had a call from Mark Fratto St John's PR guru from Spain-Red Storm playing in Europe-last night Max Hooper trans . from Harvard hit 10 Treys”

« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
Pumping him up for hoped for All-American honors?  ???

« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
Do we have another game in Italy. If so in which city?

No
2 games in Barcelona

Next 2 much tougher...  Good for our guys.

The next game (CB Prat) should not be very difficult. They play in the Spanish Division III, most of the players are 18-20 and they began the practices two days ago.
Thank you and enjoy the games.

desco80

« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
“@JonRothstein: St. John's observation - during Euro trip Steve Lavin going with a Pointer/Sampson/Sanchez front court. Incredibly long. #stjbb”

This isn't considered a shocking frontcourt, is it? It's the only starting one I've anticipated since Sanchez was declared eligible.

Yea, I don't think there's much debate that is our best frontcourt.  The interesting decisions will  be how coach uses Harrison/Jordan/Branch/Greene.

I'm not sold on Obekpa not starting. We have one of the best shot blockers in the country, and he's not starting. That is confusing to me.  There should be enough offense around him, that we could get by w 4/5 points per game, if his defense is great.

I'm curious to see what skills he and Sampson have added to their games.

I would agree that we don't need a ton of offensive production out of Obekpa, and in theory 4/5 pts from him should be fine.  The problem is I don't think his overall defense is good enough to warrant that.   If you're going to be a black hole essentially on the offensive end, then you better be damn good at the other aspects of the game.
And from what I saw last year CO was overmatched guarding opposing bigs.  He's as good a help defender as their is ...but he was at best average guarding his own man (or area).

With that said, he could've improved.  And in fairness, his rebounding improved a lot as the season went on, so there's reason to think his game is still developing.

But if Sanchez is 3/4 of the player they claim he is, then the combo of Sanchez, Jakarr, and Dom is too good not to start.   Obekpa will still get his minutes, just not as many as those other guys.  Just my opinion though.  Maybe CO comes back with some new skills

« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
“@JonRothstein: St. John's observation - during Euro trip Steve Lavin going with a Pointer/Sampson/Sanchez front court. Incredibly long. #stjbb”

This isn't considered a shocking frontcourt, is it? It's the only starting one I've anticipated since Sanchez was declared eligible.

Yea, I don't think there's much debate that is our best frontcourt.  The interesting decisions will  be how coach uses Harrison/Jordan/Branch/Greene.

I'm not sold on Obekpa not starting. We have one of the best shot blockers in the country, and he's not starting. That is confusing to me.  There should be enough offense around him, that we could get by w 4/5 points per game, if his defense is great.

I would agree that we don't need a ton of offensive production out of Obekpa, and in theory 4/5 pts from him should be fine.  The problem is I don't think his overall defense is good enough to warrant that.   If you're going to be a black hole essentially on the offensive end, then you better be damn good at the other aspects of the game.
And from what I saw last year CO was overmatched guarding opposing bigs.  He's as good a help defender as their is ...but he was at best average guarding his own man (or area).

With that said, he could've improved.  And in fairness, his rebounding improved a lot as the season went on, so there's reason to think his game is still developing.

But if Sanchez is 3/4 of the player they claim he is, then the combo of Sanchez, Jakarr, and Dom is too good not to start.   Obekpa will still get his minutes, just not as many as those other guys.  Just my opinion though.  Maybe CO comes back with some new skills

Agree, lavins offense (hope it gets tweaked) needs offensive threats 1-5. We all saw how well it worked with brownlee and DJ upfront. Burrell was physical enough to go around and set screens, Obekpa last year wasn't but I'm sure he won't come back this year with the same strength and skill. 

Also I expect Sanchez to be a better defender than Obekpa. So bottom line I think we will be better with Sanchez on the court.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »

Agree, lavins offense (hope it gets tweaked) needs offensive threats 1-5. We all saw how well it worked with brownlee and DJ upfront. Burrell was physical enough to go around and set screens, Obekpa last year wasn't but I'm sure he won't come back this year with the same strength and skill. 

Also I expect Sanchez to be a better defender than Obekpa. So bottom line I think we will be better with Sanchez on the court.

I have not seen Sanchez play, so i can only go by what I've read, and heard. I heard that he's an NBA level player. It's just 3 games, and they won't tell us enough, but of you're an NBA level forward, one that Earl Watson believes is good enough to start on the Utah Jazz, why aren't you destroying that French team that beat us by 30?

If you're an NBA forward you drop 30 and 15 on those chumps. There were no all world talents on that team. Hope it's just general paranoia from two decades of disappointment. We'll see.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:49:35 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »

I have not seen Sanchez play, so i can only go by what I've read, and heard. I heard that he's an NBA level player. It's just 3 games, and they won't tell us enough, but of you're an NBA level forward, one that Earl Watson believes is good enough to start on the Utah Jazz, why aren't you destroying that French team that beat us by 30?

If you're an NBA forward you drop 30 and 15 on those chumps. There were no all world talents on that team. Hope it's just general paranoia from two decades of disappointment. We'll see.

Not necessarily so if you're a NBA forward playing in a college system. College systems are so structured its really hard for one player to shine like that. Its been said the only person that could hold Michael Jordan under twenty points a game is Dean Smith.

Poison

« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »

Not necessarily so if you're a NBA forward playing in a college system. College systems are so structured its really hard for one player to shine like that. Its been said the only person that could hold Michael Jordan under twenty points a game is Dean Smith.

The NBA doesn't call players for traveling. Ewing and Jordan didn't score as much in college, but they were still clearly exceptional players who would eaten that French team alive.

boo3

« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
 Can we wait until we actually see this kid play to decide if he has NBA talent or not? 

« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
Can we wait until we actually see this kid play to decide if he has NBA talent or not? 
That not our way of doing things

NYCoffey

« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
We reserve our right to prejudge all St. John's players and change our angle based on one bad performance.

« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
We reserve our right to prejudge all St. John's players and change our angle based on one bad performance.

Or good performance.

Poison

« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »

We sure do. It's called deductive reasoning. Kind of like when homer posters would rip fans for questioning Dele Coker's 2.5 ppg, and 3.5 rebound per game as a high school senior.

MCNPA

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »

We sure do. It's called deductive reasoning. Kind of like when homer posters would rip fans for questioning Dele Coker's 2.5 ppg, and 3.5 rebound per game as a high school senior.

I wouldn't defend it personally.  I thought he'd end up developing more.  He didn't develop at all in his time here.

« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »

I wouldn't defend it personally.  I thought he'd end up developing more.  He didn't develop at all in his time here.

I thought Coker deserved more minutes those first three years honestly. Those teams were going no where and he showed some skills. His jump shot wasn't horrible and he could block some shots. He did foul like it was his job though.

Moose

« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Were those really Coker's number's his Sr year????
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

I thought Coker deserved more minutes those first three years honestly. Those teams were going no where and he showed some skills. His jump shot wasn't horrible and he could block some shots. He did foul like it was his job though.

They tried to give him more time. He had a stretch of 3/4 games where he played very well, then opposing coaches realized that if you just came at him with the ball, he'd foul. And that was the end of it. My point is that sometimes you are what your numbers are.

NYCoffey

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
We also reserve the right to complain about how much, or little a player was used within the last 20 years. We stand by these rights and  the right to add to the list of grievances  as we see fit.

LJSA

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »

7.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks as part of a four-man rotation. . .

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »

7.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks as part of a four-man rotation. . .

Man I know south kent is good but do they really have to play a man down?