Summer Europe Trip

• 223 replies

Poison

Re: Summer Europe Trip
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »
We reserve our right to prejudge all St. John's players and change our angle based on one bad performance.

Or good performance.

Exactly right.   We also fall into the closely related habit of convincing ourselves a player is something other than what we've already observed.    We've seen Harrison, Greene etc for 2 years now at 30mpg.  Could they still have improved this summer? Sure.   
But, we try to convince ourselves (without having seen him) that Hooper is the next Steve Novak, while presuming that players who we have seen a huge sample size of will come back as something different than they were before. 

Lets not prejudge guys we've never seen.  But when we do actually see a guy play for an extended period, we need to realize by and large that's who he is.   

It's not that black and white. Justin Brownlee was a terrific player his senior year at STJ. Lavin saw that coming. No one else did.
Oh I think there were others who saw something in Brownlee.  I give Lavin credit for trying Hardy at the point but it wasn't as if it wasn't being posted on a daily basis.  He did realize that the Maliks couldn't do the job and made some pretty obvious adjustments. He reverted to the good old "play your best five" thing and it worked.  Since then we had to live through a year with six starters, a losing record, the unnecessary loss of Harkless followed by a game over .500 and an NIT gift with DLO tossed.  To be honest I think this coach has a lot to prove.  The talent level is up but so are expectations.  I think we'll have a decent year but 2014 looks like a real potential problem so far.  I'm sending my check for the seats but I want to hear some big recruiting news before I do it again.  This up and down stuff has to stop and I only trust what I see.  Lavin's track record is nothing to crow about and this year's record and it's effect on recruiting will tell the story.

What up and down recruiting stuff? He has delivered not just good classes every year but great classes every year. We haven't had a down recruiting year since he took over
I didn't say up and down recruiting.  You are what your record says you are and ours stinks.  What happened with Polee, Lindsey and Garrett?  We're damn lucky DLO came back and Sampson, GG and Sanchez are one year propositions at this point.  Sheed can't carry a team and our roster is full of holes going forward. We're paying big bucks for all this and it's time to get real.

Transfers happen. What holes do you speak of going forward? We look pretty damn good this year. Next year isn't here yet, I believe there is a very good chance both JK and CO are back next year. Until other wise stated, that is what we should expect. Lets enjoy this year first and hold our judgment for next year after we see what next year's team actually looks like.

I think Jakarr and Chris both return. If they made significant progress this summer, I think we would have heard about it on Twitter via STJBB or Lavin. These guys while talented, still have a lot of work to do to first get on the NBA radar.

I definitely dont see Obekpa leaving. And if Jakarr/Chris do actually go pro, that most likely means we had a very very good year

The guys that don't make the NBA, the ones that played in college for 4 years and would up in Europe just cleaned out clock. If Sampson and Obekpa were NBA big men or even close to it, they would have dominated these games. I hope they get there eventually, but they have a ways to go.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:04:48 AM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
I posted this a few times. That white kid from Georgetown killed us inside. If we didn't fix that this team will be fun at times but wont be able to compete with any team with size.

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
With Gift's muscle, along with CO and Sanchez's shot-blocking skills, I think we will be tougher inside.  I wish we had a solid 6'10" banger but...

TONYD3

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
I wish we had Tyrone grant