July Open Period Part 2

• 69 replies

paultzman

Re: July Open Period Part 2
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
“@DMartinCSN: Gym filling in more for Pan Africa vs. Midwest. Rick Pitino, Brey, Lavin, Fran McCaffery, Johnny Dawkins, Buzz Williams, Frank Haith.”

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »
Zags probably combing site for a story. Cub reporter!

“@AdamZagoria: St. John's focusing on adding bigs in 2014 recruiting class. Story coming soon from @NikeGlobal”

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Zags

WASHINGTON, D.C. – St. John’s is loaded with guards for the foreseeable future, so head coach Steve Lavin and his staff are focused on recruiting bigs and wings in the 2014 class.

They currently have three scholarships available but could end up adding as many as five players in this class, depending on what happens with the current roster.

“Bigs, frontline players are the priority and we’re always open to the best available players at any position,” Lavin told SNY.tv while scouting talent at the Nike Global Challenge at Trinity Washington University.

Coaches are not permitted to comment on recruitable student-athletes but sources confirmed to SNY.tv that St. John’s has offered 2014 centers Goodluck Okonoboh of Wilbraham & Monson (Mass.), Pascal Chukwu of Fairfield (Conn.) Prep and Adonis Dela Rosa of Christ the King.

The Johnnies have also offered forwards Abdul Malik Abu of Kimball (N.H.) Union,  Terry Larrier of Malvern (Pa.) Phelps School and Joe Burton of Humble (TX) Atascocita.

As for guards, St. John’s is recruiting Isaiah Whitehead of Brooklyn Lincoln and Jared Terrell, Abu’s Expressions Elite teammate out of Brewster (N.H.) Academy.

Abu and Terrell have discussed a package deal, whether that happens remains to be seen.

Abu’s recruitment is taking off this summer despite the fact that he’s fasting for Ramadan — including not drinking any water from sunup to sundown.

“I can’t do it, it’s my faith. It something I have to do, so I just do it,” he told SNY.tv.

“It’s just not the same energy that I’m used to playing with. And that’s 90 percent of my game is being an energy guy and when you don’t have it, you just have to find it other places.”

With Lavin, Louisville coach Rick Pitino, UConn coach Kevin Ollie, Providence coach Ed Cooley, Pitt’s Jamie Dixon and N.C. State’s Mark Gottfried among those in the stands, Abu went for 16 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks as Pan Africa lost to USA Midwest, 98-91, Friday morning.

“I try not to see the coaches, but they’re there,” Abu said, adding that he won’t cut his list until later this summer. “Yep, definitely.”

The 6-foot-8 Larrier, who is here with USA East, has also seen his recruitment take off. He recently added offers from Arizona, UConn, VCU, SMU, Marquette, Kansas State and LSU.

As for St. John’s, the current roster has guards Rysheed Jordan, Phil Greene, Jamal Branch, D’Angelo Harrison and Sir’Dominic Pointer, so Lavin is looking ahead to some strong backcourt play as the team enters the new 10-team Big East.

After getting suspended to end last year, Harrison figures to play a major role as the off guard this year.

“He’s continued his path of progress and has good momentum going into the fall semester,” Lavin said.

The 6-4 Jordan will have the ball in his hands as a creator and distributor as well as a scorer.
“Rysheed brings a diverse skillset and the ability to play both the one and two spot for our team,” Lavin said.

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
“@Josh_Stirn: Steve Lavin is here at Summer Jam Fest watching Expressions Elite vs Syracuse Select.” King of Prussia Pa.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:05:08 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
“@Josh_Stirn: Vermont, Fairfield, Bryant, George Washington, Boston College, Holy Cross,  St Johns, Wagner and more here for New Heights. #SummerJamFest”

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
“@ASlater247: Steve Lavin of St. John's & ex-NBA player Jay Murphy, father of Erik & @AlexMurphy5 , are among the luminaries catching Mass Rivals. #STJBB”

“@Josh_Stirn: Louisville is also here for the Mass Rivals game. Goodluck Okonoboh is not playing tonight.”
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:50:45 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
DelaRosa sighting;

WEST HEMPSTEAD, NY - The NY Lightning would take on the NY Rens during 17U pool play on Saturday at the NYC Slam n' Jam Tournament at the Island Garden.

M. Wingate

Angel Delgado led the NY Lightning with 15 points
Led by Angel Delgado, the Lightning would hold off a hard charging Rens team for the 60-52 win.

With St. John's assistant coach Tony Chiles and Fordham's head coach Tom Pecora and assistant coach Tom Parrotta looking on intently, the Lightning jumped out to an early 13-2 lead. Lightning's point guard duo Desure Buie and C.J. Davis provided nice passes inside for Delgado to post up and score. In addition Luis Montero also found himself open to slash at the rim or knock it down from the arc.

The game seemed to be en route to a potential blow-out but with 11 minutes left in the half, rising sophomore sensation Rawle Alkins came in the game and provided instant offense for Rens head Coach Artie Cox. With 6:34 remaining in the first half, an 11-5 run pulled the Rens with 5.

Fordham commit Eric Paschall finally began to counter from the perimeter to help stretch the Lightning's lead back out but an emphatic crowd pleasing dunk by Alkins on 6'8" Luis Santos' head left no doubt that the Rens, paced by PG Kevin Little, were not going to go away quietly.

Down 31-19 to begin the second half, the Rens tried to make a run to close the gap but an and-1 inside by 6'9" Jessie Govan along with a follow-up bucket by Delgado cushioned the Lightning by 16 points with 7:53 left to play.

Alkins began to once again take over the game, seemingly able to score at will and soon teammate Adonis Dela Rosa pitched in down low to help slice their deficit down to 10 points with 5:46 remaining. Alkins sprung two treys from deep plus another basket by Dela Rosa and the Lightning were suddenly only ahead 53-52 with 2:27 on the clock.

In the end, the Lightning's big men would come to the rescue throughout the game but especially in the final minute for head coach Shandue McNeil as Govan and Delgado hit clutch buckets to extend their lead to 5 points.

In the final seconds, the Rens were forced to foul and hope for Lightning not to strike free-throws but in this case, hope would not spring eternal.

Delgado was high man for the NY Lightning with 15 points with Govan and Montero dropping 13 and 12 points respectively. Alkins scored a game high 21 points for the NY Rens with Dela Rosa contributing 12 points. - See more at: http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1527066#sthash.wFW2XFxR.jf0jsefi.dpuf

gman

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
“@Josh_Stirn: Vermont, Fairfield, Bryant, George Washington, Boston College, Holy Cross,  St Johns, Wagner and more here for New Heights. #SummerJamFest”

Power house lineup. Is that our out of conference schedule?

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Pascal Chukwu and Terrell noted;

“@jmverlin: Final thing from @TheHoopGroup's Summer Classic East + Summer Jam Fest--@COACHSIMON200 has his "Best Of": http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/07/best-of-the-best-from-hoop-group/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:20:24 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
im just trying to make an educated guess like you are LOL.

Terrell and Chuwku were both in Philly i think so maybe.

Who knows lol.

Yeah but I think that was last night.  The Hoop Group is only two days and I think tonight is the weaker of the sessions and that is why Lavin headed down to DC as did Cooley and Ollie, notice they were in East Prussia last night as well and are not today.

Maybe you're right perhaps he is at Hoop Group but either way I assume SJU will make their presence felt in Milwaukee.  Here is the UA Summer Jam site, and why I think Chiles is in Milwaukee, and their list of schools that have made their way so far to the event:

http://uaassociation.com/tournaments/2013-summer-jam-colleges/

SMU
 South Carolina
 South Dakota
 South Dakota State
 Stanford
 Stephen F. Austin
 Stony Brook
 St. Bonaventure
St. John’s
 St. Joseph’s

St. John's [Minnesota] D3
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
PC list, but we are pursuing a lot of the same folks. Whitehead is in Vegas.

“@Craigl78: PC fans check out where the Friar recruits will be playing during the 3rd week of the live period. http://friarbasketball.com/author/friarbasketball2/  #PCBB”

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
“@SJUCoachLavin: #Stjbb July whistle stop recruiting: Indy, Atlanta, Philly, DC, LA, Vegas, KC, Atlantic City and finish in NYC. Bigs the priority targets.”

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
“@DMartinCSN: From @CSNbaltimore: The third and final five-day segment of the July recruiting period is upon us. Preview here: http://bit.ly/15ILxJZ

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
“@SJUCoachLavin: #Stjbb July whistle stop recruiting: Indy, Atlanta, Philly, DC, LA, Vegas, KC, Atlantic City and finish in NYC. Bigs the priority targets.”

Maybe Chiles was in Atlanta last week for the Summer Showdown.

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
Interesting nuggets about Nike Global Challenge;

“@ECoastBias: Stat insights: Nike Global Challenge - Malik Abdul Abu, Cheick Diallo, Terry Larrier, more http://sbn.to/18zJniq

paultzman

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
“@trigonis30: http://Scout.com Third Evaluation Period Preview:  http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1309704.html    Fab 48 getting major respect”

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
In Vegas:

Ryan Koenigsberg ‏@RyanKoenigsberg
Also here: Scott Drew #Baylor, Steve Lavin #StJohns, Bo Ryan #Wisconsin, McClain #Indiana   #Super64

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Yup Goodluck, Mudiay & Zimmerman are there among others

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
“@jeffborzello: My recap from last night -- complete look at Newman/Mudiay vs. Hamilton/Dorsey, plus other key head-to-head battles: http://cbsprt.co/13cY19I

“@Hoopniks: Wednesday recap from the Fab 48 #Fab48 Tip Off Challenge http://fb.me/2fLk3aDkB
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:51:59 AM by paultzman »