OK now that the IW drama is over

• 94 replies

MCNPA

Re: OK now that the IW drama is over
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

As Fun pointed out in another thread Duke and coach K gave jobs to Duhon's mom and Carlos Boozer's dad.   
This has been going on forever.   

First of all, Coach K gave no jobs to anyone.  Second of all, Duke alums giving Duhon's mom and/or Boozer's dad jobs does not affect the management, chemistry, etc. of the basketball team.  What SHU did does.  Different.  And also one might be potentially illegal if anyone could prove some sort of a deal if they werent really working, etc. - I dont know the specifics on the rules, but since it is so widely known, Im pretty sure there wasnt much risk for Duke alums doing this.

Hey kid, probably not the best place to post this but where do you see Amille Jefferson fitting in this year? I like him a lot out of HS but he didn't get much burn last year. You guys lost a lot up front but you also add Parker and hood and that's most likely you starting 4/3. Curious to what you think. If he ever got tired of not getting enough playin time I would love to see him come closer home.   

Hey Mase --- I think Amile will be the starting 5.  Averaging 13 mins a game last year despite Kelly/Plumlee having the 4/5 locked down and Hairston being an upperclassmen I thought was not bad for a non-McDAA Duke frosh - seriously doubt Amile was unhappy with time last year.  Supposedly put on 20 pounds as of May, hopefully more since.  I envision a Cook-Sulaimon-Hood-Parker-Jefferson starting lineup - which already has me excited as probably one of my favorite duke starting lineups in a long time.

Thanks kid. Certainly not your prototypical duke starting lineup but one that would be extremely fun to watch. Should be a lot of fun for Quin Cook this year.

That's why I like the lineup so much - though my freshman year of Jay Will, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, Casey Sanders will probably always be my favorite for sentimental reasons even though they lost in the sweet 16.

Nice lineup but extremely small.  Will worried they will get pwned by huge frontlines like Cuse that are also skilled and athletic. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

As Fun pointed out in another thread Duke and coach K gave jobs to Duhon's mom and Carlos Boozer's dad.   

First of all, Coach K gave no jobs to anyone.  Second of all, Duke alums giving Duhon's mom and/or Boozer's dad jobs does not affect the management, chemistry, etc. of the basketball team.  What SHU did does.  Different.  And also one might be potentially illegal if anyone could prove some sort of a deal if they werent really working, etc. - I dont know the specifics on the rules, but since it is so widely known, Im pretty sure there wasnt much risk for Duke alums doing this.

Hey kid, probably not the best place to post this but where do you see Amille Jefferson fitting in this year? I like him a lot out of HS but he didn't get much burn last year. You guys lost a lot up front but you also add Parker and hood and that's most likely you starting 4/3. Curious to what you think. If he ever got tired of not getting enough playin time I would love to see him come closer home.   

Hey Mase --- I think Amile will be the starting 5.  Averaging 13 mins a game last year despite Kelly/Plumlee having the 4/5 locked down and Hairston being an upperclassmen I thought was not bad for a non-McDAA Duke frosh - seriously doubt Amile was unhappy with time last year.  Supposedly put on 20 pounds as of May, hopefully more since.  I envision a Cook-Sulaimon-Hood-Parker-Jefferson starting lineup - which already has me excited as probably one of my favorite duke starting lineups in a long time.

Thanks kid. Certainly not your prototypical duke starting lineup but one that would be extremely fun to watch. Should be a lot of fun for Quin Cook this year.

That's why I like the lineup so much - though my freshman year of Jay Will, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, Casey Sanders will probably always be my favorite for sentimental reasons even though they lost in the sweet 16.

Nice lineup but extremely small.  Will worried they will get pwned by huge frontlines like Cuse that are also skilled and athletic. 

I'm sure K is hoping Plumlee 3.0 can provide significant minutes but nothing I've seen thus far would suggest that.  He'll def play some just because he's big, at least.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »

Love Amile's game.  It would seem to me that Parker would be the five in that lineup, no?  I really wish we landed Amile!

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
I think SirDom is an NBA Player.  His progress from year one to two was incredible.  If he could continue to improve...he could be a shut down NBA 2 guard.  Has igodola like skills.

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »

Love Amile's game.  It would seem to me that Parker would be the five in that lineup, no?  I really wish we landed Amile!

I think Amile is more likely the 5 even though Parker is slightly heavier.  Neither one is a center though.  Duke will struggle with teams with string inside games.  Parker and Amile will be backed down all day.  The lineup is certainly very talented otherwise. 

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
I think SirDom is an NBA Player.  His progress from year one to two was incredible.  If he could continue to improve...he could be a shut down NBA 2 guard.  Has igodola like skills.

Only thing Dom needs is to tighten the handle a tad and get more comfortable being an offensive option.  He can be killer.  I hope we see more I that area this year.  It's his time to take his incremental improvement up a notch as a junior now ala Postell or a Sam Young.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:18:07 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »

Only thing Dom needs is to tighten the handle a tad and get more comfortable being an offensive option.  He can be killer.  I hope we see more I that area this year.  It's his time to take his incremental improvement up a notch as a junior now ala Postell or a Sam Young.

I agree with your assessment of Sir'Dom (my favorite player on the team).  Funny that we criticize Dlo for take too many shots to get his scoring numbers up but we don't credit Sir'Dom for his efficiency.  He is not a pure shooter but his offensive efficiency is terrific.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
+1

+1
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.  I'd be surprised if we don't see Dom look for his own shot more.   And, he should naturally see some more scoring opportunities if a healthy Branch is running the offense.  Too often last year we asked Dom to bring the ball up, he did an admirable job, but that's not really his forte.

My surprise prediction for the season is that Dom will be an all-conference player.   Might be the 2nd team or honorable mention, but I'm hoping for big things from our man from the motor city. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:48:43 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
Dom is my favorite player as well, but he also needs to work on his over hand right. That punch last year was pathetic. If you are going to be chippy and play with an attitude you need to throw a better punch.

desco80

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
Dom is my favorite player as well, but he also needs to work on his over hand right. That punch last year was pathetic. If you are going to be chippy and play with an attitude you need to throw a better punch.

You think the extra-curricular activities carry over into this season?   The pushing and shoving kind've became our calling card toward the end of last season.  Practically every game somebody was fighting after the whistle.

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
I don't mind it. I like players with an attitude-Dom and Harrison.
I grew up when you were allowed to fight in the BE so I have a little different perspective though

Poison

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
I grew up when you were allowed to fight in the BE so I have a little different perspective though

If they were on another team, they'd be dicks. But they're on our team, so they're OUR dicks.

desco80

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »

If they were on another team, they'd be dicks. But they're on our team, so they're OUR dicks.
It's true.
I think fans and pundits make a little too much out of pushing and shoving.
I assume everyone here has taken one too many elbows at some point in a pickup game, and gotten in the other team's face about it.    This happens.   It doesn't make you a punk, it means you are human.   
I would just hope we can avoid the ill-timed technical.   

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
@JonRothstein: How will St. John's PG situation unfold?. Jamal Branch -most improved. Phil Greene -most experienced. Rysheed Jordan - most talented. #SJUBB
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

I agree with your assessment of Sir'Dom (my favorite player on the team).  Funny that we criticize Dlo for take too many shots to get his scoring numbers up but we don't credit Sir'Dom for his efficiency.  He is not a pure shooter but his offensive efficiency is terrific.

It's easy to be efficient when opposing teams give you ten feet to shoot the basketball, you are an athletic freak that can finish anything within 6-7 feet of the basket with a thundering dunk, and your team does not rely on you for points. 

I love Dom, but his lack of offensive skill and lack of control make me close my eyes several times a game.  Switch his role with Harrison and he'd be shooting 20%.

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »

It's easy to be efficient when opposing teams give you ten feet to shoot the basketball, you are an athletic freak that can finish anything within 6-7 feet of the basket with a thundering dunk, and your team does not rely on you for points. 

I love Dom, but his lack of offensive skill and lack of control make me close my eyes several times a game.  Switch his role with Harrison and he'd be shooting 20%.

Haven't seen Jordan or Sanchez but Pointer is the best passer of all the returning players including Branch

Moose

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »

Haven't seen Jordan or Sanchez but Pointer is the best passer of all the returning players including Branch

Pointer is good passer in the half court set.
Branch is great in transition.  But as we know we often aren't in transition.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »

Pointer is good passer in the half court set.
Branch is great in transition.  But as we know we often aren't in transition.

I like Branch. I think so far though I have been disappointed with his passing. Hasn't gotten to play a full season yet so maybe I am wrong.  To me he seems to be a good combo or third guard and if Jordan is real deal that might be what he winds up being.

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

I think your nuts. Branch was easily the most gifted passer on last years squad. He had more than a handful of absolutely fantastic passes last year in his limited action.   I think D Lo is a better passer than Dom too ( who I don't think is a bad passer, just not a great one) it's just too bad he can't pass to himself.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

What!?!?!

Dom has very good vision...I'll give him that...but he freezes up way to much in big spots and makes a ton of mental errors.  Branch and Harrison are far better passers.  Branch annoys me  at times because he can be very lazy with  his passes., but it's so clear that him and Harrison are on a different level in terms of skill than just about anyone else on the team.  For all of the confidence Dom has in the open court and defensively, he gets looks super nervous too many times. 

I expect both Jordan and Sanchez to be better passers as well.