Current players and recruits

• 64 replies
Re: Current players and recruits
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Boo, did you erase that post because you realized that there is no way the Knicks are bigger than the Yankees?

I erased it because that wasn't really the point of the discussion, or so I thought.

NY is a baseball town.  So the Yanks are bigger.  Even so, no one shows up to their games anymore because they had a bad season.  Tells you all you need to know about that fanbase.  I equate Yankee fans with Cowboys fans...  Popular team to root for.. At least Cowboy fans still root when their team stinks..

If , by some miracle , the Mets were good again. they would be more popular.  We saw it in the mid to late 80s..  Much bigger than the Yanks.

I do believe that the Knicks are a close , close second..

Didn't witness the Mets in the 80's, were they really bigger then the yanks of the mid 90's/ early 2000's?   And you have to go back twenty years to when the Yankees stink.

Not to mention 81 games with the majority of them during summer in NY is much different than 8 games during the fall in Texas.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
Boo, did you erase that post because you realized that there is no way the Knicks are bigger than the Yankees?

I erased it because that wasn't really the point of the discussion, or so I thought.

NY is a baseball town.  So the Yanks are bigger.  Even so, no one shows up to their games anymore because they had a bad season.  Tells you all you need to know about that fanbase.  I equate Yankee fans with Cowboys fans...  Popular team to root for.. At least Cowboy fans still root when their team stinks..

If , by some miracle , the Mets were good again. they would be more popular.  We saw it in the mid to late 80s..  Much bigger than the Yanks.

Didn't witness the Mets in the 80's, were they really bigger then the yanks of the mid 90's/ early 2000's?   And you have to go back twenty years to when the Yankees stink.

Not to mention 81 games with the majority of them during summer in NY is much different than 8 games during the fall in Texas.

The mid to late 80's Mets were definitely more popular than Yankees at the time, but I wouldn't say that underachieving team from Queens was more popular than the Yankees of the late 90's/early 2000's, which should be ranked as one of the all-time great teams, with 4 championships in 5 years (and as a Mets fan, it pains me to say that).   

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU
Nice run in tourney probably gets us to 7 

Liberty?
Come on bro
He does have us over the Brooklyn Nets though.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU
Nice run in tourney probably gets us to 7 

Liberty?
Come on bro
He does have us over the Brooklyn Nets though.

Shirley an omission on his part.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
It's not like there's any other team to follow in NY.

When was the last time St Johns hoops was the bright spot in the NY sports scene?

I'd say Lavin's first year.  When SJU is good people recognize it.  I had people who never really follow college hoops that closely asking my questions knowing I went to SJU.  Granted I was a baby during the mid 80's heyday and I'm sure it was magnified even more but our last trip to the tournament we were definitely getting interest around town.
It's not like there's any other team to follow in NY.

When was the last time St Johns hoops was the bright spot in the NY sports scene?

I'd say Lavin's first year.  When SJU is good people recognize it.  I had people who never really follow college hoops that closely asking my questions knowing I went to SJU.  Granted I was a baby during the mid 80's heyday and I'm sure it was magnified even more but our last trip to the tournament we were definitely getting interest around town.
Moose you're still a baby! Got to admit you teed that one up for me! Just Kidding with you1 (SMILEY FACE)

One of these days you will actually put a smiley face in your post. :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
They disappeared from my computer or at least I couldn't find them but your post seems to have corrected the problem!  :) :) :) :) :)

boo3

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

I didn't say those Mets teams were more popular than the late 90's yanks... Just at the time. 

I think it will be fascinating to watch this whole generation of yankee fans, spoiled with winning beyond belief,  react to being an average team again....

..because, have no doubt, that is where it's headed.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

I didn't say those Mets teams were more popular than the late 90's yanks... Just at the time. 

I think it will be fascinating to watch this whole generation of yankee fans, spoiled with winning beyond belief,  react to being an average team again....

Can't know where they are headed until we see who is on the team next season. We already know where the Mets are headed.

boo3

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
 You know where they are headed, Poison.  You are smarter than that I hope.  Aging players with massive contracts and a mandate to be below the 189 mil number and maybe the worst farm system in all of baseball.

Mets are headed up is what i assume you meant. The Harvey injury sucks bad , but in general the team is young with a lot of talent in the minors and promising players ready to take the next step..

Remove pinstripe glasses and take a look.   

I expect both teams to be about 500.   Yanks will be .500 or slightly worse.   Mets .500 or a few games above..

Way off topic here... Sorry.. I'm done..  Baseball is over.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:54:34 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
I say:

Yankees
Cowboys (when their in town beating the other NY team)
St. John's
Islanders
Jets
Devils

The Ho-Hum Division
Rangers
Mets
Knicks
Nets
Giants

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
1 .Forgot about the Nets
2. How is that a dig at SJU? I am a fan and go to games probably so do the other 45 of you but that is about all the fans the team has. Granted I don't go to Queens, but I go to the Garden and I can't remember the last time we had a full crowd of SJU fans. I am just trying to keep you honest. Cmon  man. SJU will be the talk of the city lol. Does that mean they will actually have a beat writer this season? I just couldn't live with myself I didn't respond to some of the nonsense spouted here. Baby steps. Make a tourney couple times in a row maybe even win a tourney game then get back to me on talk of city nonsense. I guess being a fan is short for fanatical but is not short for delusional.
3. Granted they only play 8 home games and 16 total but the Giants have a waiting list for season tickets while the Yankees had tons of available seats. I am not Giants fan but just by my observations and what the ticket tape parades look like I think Giants are number 1 team in city. Again just my opinion. Giants and Yanks are def 1 and 2 in some order. Tough to gauge Yanks because of all fair weathered fans though.
4. Was dragged to a Liberty game and Garden was fuller than I have seen for SJU games. Granted I think the Baylor girl was playing but I wasn't really paying attention as I was too busy counting Lesbians ;)

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »

Lets wait till they have a season below five hundred before we announce where they are headed. Where were the Red Sox headed? Baseball is fickle, unless of course your a mets fan ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
I don't think Felix can shoot or score at this level, that's not a good for a shooting guard. Never saw max play, all I know is he played at a big hs. He got plenty of exposure and no one wanted him. He was at Harvard and didn't play. I will happily eat my words if both make an impact.

You are way off on Felix.  His upside is absurd.  He played with amazing pace for a freshman.  He was almost always under control and he showed me that he can be a menace scoring around the baseline. At worst, he will evolve into a shutdown defender and all-world rebounder out of the 2/3 spots.  He will be able to shutdown three positions and guard four.

I watched quite a few of his OSNA games and his shot--while certainly not pretty--was effective.  He also got into his shot without any hesitation and was looked at as a scorer.  I would not be shocked if he started draining them the next two years.  The problem is that he is surrounded by so much talent and experience right now.  He seems like a great redshirt option to me. 
Retract my comments last year for taking you to task for stating that Amir was going to be an incredible player for us. Even incredible players are not necessarily all-world. (SMILEY FACE)

LOL  I was a big Garrett fan and I still am.  Heart of a lion, rebounded like a madman, could do a little bit of everything.  Only one of him and Dom was going to make it and Dom is a physical freak and top 40 recruit and Garrett was limited because of baseball.  I think if he gave up baseball he could be a second round NBA pick.  I hope his new school is a half-court, spread the floor type of team that can allow him to do display his talents to the fullest.  Garrett, though, is much more limited than Balamou.  Balamou has no ceiling. 

Poison

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
1 .Forgot about the Nets
2. How is that a dig at SJU? I am a fan and go to games probably so do the other 45 of you but that is about all the fans the team has. Granted I don't go to Queens, but I go to the Garden and I can't remember the last time we had a full crowd of SJU fans. I am just trying to keep you honest. Cmon  man. SJU will be the talk of the city lol. Does that mean they will actually have a beat writer this season? I just couldn't live with myself I didn't respond to some of the nonsense spouted here. Baby steps. Make a tourney couple times in a row maybe even win a tourney game then get back to me on talk of city nonsense. I guess being a fan is short for fanatical but is not short for delusional.
3. Granted they only play 8 home games and 16 total but the Giants have a waiting list for season tickets while the Yankees had tons of available seats. I am not Giants fan but just by my observations and what the ticket tape parades look like I think Giants are number 1 team in city. Again just my opinion. Giants and Yanks are def 1 and 2 in some order. Tough to gauge Yanks because of all fair weathered fans though.
4. Was dragged to a Liberty game and Garden was fuller than I have seen for SJU games. Granted I think the Baylor girl was playing but I wasn't really paying attention as I was too busy counting Lesbians ;)

Yankee fans are fair weather? Um, what NY fan base isn't, if they are fair weather?

Poison

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:59 PM »
You know where they are headed, Poison.  You are smarter than that I hope.  Aging players with massive contracts and a mandate to be below the 189 mil number and maybe the worst farm system in all of baseball.

Mets are headed up is what i assume you meant. The Harvey injury sucks bad , but in general the team is young with a lot of talent in the minors and promising players ready to take the next step..

I expect both teams to be about 500.   Yanks will be .500 or slightly worse.   Mets .500 or a few games above..

The Mets have had the same ending for the last 5 seasons. That isn't up.
The Yankee farm system isn't so bare. They had injuries at the minor league level. That is not the same as not having the pieces. In sports, there are things we can't predict, but I will go out on a limb and predict that the Mets won't break 70 wins, because they have no pen, no offense, defense, and no money.

The Yanks, 189 or not, will get younger, and they'll spend. As well they should.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:45:55 PM by Poison »

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Quote-Yankee fans are fair weather? Um, what NY fan base isn't, if they are fair weather?-Poison

I am not. I like the Mets, Knicks and SJU. Pretty rough past decade.
1 Met postseason
4 Knick Postseason
1 NCAA tourney
Anytime the Knicks are your go to franchise you can't be called fair weather

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
I became a Yankees fans when Horace Clarke was their 2nd baseman.  I'm not sure why the team that is always at or near the top in terms of attendance is always accused of having fair weather fans.

desco80

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »

Agree it's off topic, but I'd be willing to continue this in a different thread boo.
I think this offseason will tell us a lot about the future of the Mets.  If the front office can't reinvest in the club, I'm not sure how much we can grow.   Even with the Syndergaards and Monteros coming up.   I think the fact that they aren't even sniffing at this Cuban first baseman is a bad sign.   

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
Honestly rehiring Collins, I feel sets a bad example as well. Another year of caretaking as they wait and see about Harvey. I still doubt they have $ to spend

boo3

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
 Desco- We've been told they are going to spend... all we have to go on for now.   I'd like to see them go after Tulowitzki and Choo personally.