Big East Arena Rankings

• 39 replies
Re: Big East Arena Rankings
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
MSG is still the mecca. How do we think the turnout will be for the Big East Tourney this year with only 10 teams?

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »
MSG is still the mecca. How do we think the turnout will be for the Big East Tourney this year with only 10 teams?

No Ucan't...no Orange.  Way down.  Only thing that could save it is if the non-Catholic 7 schools travel well.  If so, their fanbases will be excited as heck and willing to make the pilgrimage east.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »

No Ucan't...no Orange.  Way down.  Only thing that could save it is if the non-Catholic 7 schools travel well.  If so, their fanbases will be excited as heck and willing to make the pilgrimage east.

Tongue in cheek?
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »

I don't agree.  Casual fans will finally be able to get tickets to an event that was nearly impossible to get tickets for in the past.  Even Cuse fans in NYC will buy tickets becaus they lobe bball and their team will be playing somewhere down south.  Turnout IMHO, will be excellent most likely.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Yeah I do not think there will be a problem selling tickets to the BET. Come time for the tournament there should be at least 4 teams in the top 25 if not more. Assuming St. John's is good there will be a lot of St. John's fans, Georgetown will bring a lot of fans, Providence, Seton Hall, and Nova are all close enough to bring plenty of fans. What some people may not realize is there were always tons of people who wanted to go to the BET but could not get tickets. I know every year Georgetown's athletic department buys up as many tickets as they can get their hands on from schools who have lost earlier to try and meet the demand of Georgetown fans, but they always run out before demand can be met. Now the tickets that were going to Cuse fans most of all, but also Uconn fans will be able to be gobbled up by Georgetown, St. John's and other fans. And yes there will be a huge market among casual basketball fans who are not affiliated with any of the schools, because there's going to be quality basketball played.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Hoya is dead on.  I know a ton of guys who attend the BET simply because it as event to go to after work (or play hooky for a day) in a great location and the tickets are very affordable.  These are sometimes the only college basketball games these guys go to in a given year.  Ditto for businesses and those who spend part of their time marketing clients.  Even casual sports fans like the BET.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
I think attendance will be down.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
The thing about Uconn and SU is that they are driving distance from MSG, and they have a sizable student body. We have not replaced that with a no name school in Omaha, a school in Indiana and one in Ohio. How are their fans going to get to MSG? When it's all said and done, you can go to Italy for what the BE will cost you.

Unless you stay at Pennsylvania Hotel for $129.99 a night.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
I have concerns they will sell this event out although I hope I am wrong.

I think attendance will be down.

tnice

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, tickets for the BE tournament are distributed somewhat evenly between the member schools and then sold in strips. So if you're coming from Creighton or Xavier or wherever, you cant just buy individual tix, you have to buy a ticket to every game of the tourney. After the set asides for partners and sponsors, that's an average of roughly 1,500 tix per school. Not a high bar to get over. Highly doubt the league will have any trouble selling all the tix.

Attendance is another story, but it always is. Anyone who's gone to the early rounds of the tourney knows that the place is never full because if your school played in the afternoon session and you didn't sell your seats to the evening session, the seats are empty. As the tournament goes on and teams get knocked out, many of the tix allotted to the knocked out schools go on Stub Hub and yes, in the past UConn and Cuse fans would gobble them up a) because there are so many alums in NYC and b) because their teams advanced. So it will really depend on who advances. If Creighton goes deep in the tournament, yeah, their fans wont be buying tix from Seton Hall fans in bulk. But if its any of the east Coast teams, I think those tix will get sold just the same as always. And  I wouldn't sell the Midwest teams short just yet. if I remember correctly Marquette brings a pretty sizeable contingent every year. And Creighton averages 17,000 fans a game for God's sake....you mean to tell me a bunch of those people aren't hopping a plane (shorter than the drive from Syracuse, btw) to come to the big city? 

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
The thing about Uconn and SU is that they are driving distance from MSG, and they have a sizable student body. We have not replaced that with a no name school in Omaha, a school in Indiana and one in Ohio. How are their fans going to get to MSG? When it's all said and done, you can go to Italy for what the BE will cost you.

Unless you stay at Pennsylvania Hotel for $129.99 a night.

Me and like 5 other people would always split a hotel penn room when we were in college.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, tickets for the BE tournament are distributed somewhat evenly between the member schools and then sold in strips. So if you're coming from Creighton or Xavier or wherever, you cant just buy individual tix, you have to buy a ticket to every game of the tourney. After the set asides for partners and sponsors, that's an average of roughly 1,500 tix per school. Not a high bar to get over. Highly doubt the league will have any trouble selling all the tix.

Attendance is another story, but it always is. Anyone who's gone to the early rounds of the tourney knows that the place is never full because if your school played in the afternoon session and you didn't sell your seats to the evening session, the seats are empty. As the tournament goes on and teams get knocked out, many of the tix allotted to the knocked out schools go on Stub Hub and yes, in the past UConn and Cuse fans would gobble them up a) because there are so many alums in NYC and b) because their teams advanced. So it will really depend on who advances. If Creighton goes deep in the tournament, yeah, their fans wont be buying tix from Seton Hall fans in bulk. But if its any of the east Coast teams, I think those tix will get sold just the same as always. And  I wouldn't sell the Midwest teams short just yet. if I remember correctly Marquette brings a pretty sizeable contingent every year. And Creighton averages 17,000 fans a game for God's sake....you mean to tell me a bunch of those people aren't hopping a plane (shorter than the drive from Syracuse, btw) to come to the big city? 

Bingo.  As I have been saying forever.  Asking 10 schools to evenly split up MSG is not a big deal.  And when they expand to 12 even easier.  Fans from these new schools will save up all year to make one big trip.

The only change will be no more putrid Orange in the stands. 

desco80

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Friday and Saturday games will be sold out, no question.   But the old BE didn't even sell out on Tues and Weds, I don't see how losing UCONN's and Syracuse's big fan bases will help that.    Early rounds will continue to have sparce crowds I'm assuming. 

Which is fine - hopefully we get a bye anyway.   

Moose

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Friday and Saturday games will be sold out, no question.   But the old BE didn't even sell out on Tues and Weds, I don't see how losing UCONN's and Syracuse's big fan bases will help that.    Early rounds will continue to have sparce crowds I'm assuming. 

Well not to be technical it those early games WERE sold out.  People just didn't go for variety of reasons.

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »

Well not to be technical it those early games WERE sold out.  People just didn't go for variety of reasons.

Right and that's not going to change if it's Rutgers vs. USF,  Butler vs. Depual, or VT vs. Wake Forest playing on that Tuesday morning. Which is why I have no concerns about losing MSG for the BET.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »
Creighton will use every single one of their allotted tickets this year...I'd bet a thousand bux.  I would be shocked if Xavier didn't as well. 

Some you act like NYC isn't a fantastic place to visit if you have time and money to spare.  I bet it is quite a nice trip for someone from Omaha.  They average over 17,000 fans per game!

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Creighton will use every single one of their allotted tickets this year...I'd bet a thousand bux.  I would be shocked if Xavier didn't as well. 

Some you act like NYC isn't a fantastic place to visit if you have time and money to spare.  I bet it is quite a nice trip for someone from Omaha.  They average over 17,000 fans per game!

“@JonRothstein: Love the passion of Creighton fans. They care, are intelligent, and are anxious to be a part of the Big East. Intense group.”

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Just begging Poison to explain those attendance figures...

desco80

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »

Good point.   I didn't think that through.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:56:45 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
I think you guys are hitting the quote button more than once
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!