Redmen to Redshirt?

• 54 replies
Redmen to Redshirt?
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »
I don't have factual evidence to support this and this is purely my own opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see Felix and Jones redshirt this season.

I don't anticipate either to crack the rotation this season and both are high upside development players that could make an impact by the time they are seniors.

This would also balance out the scholarship balance a bit too.

All indications point to there being a healthy balance of minutes distributed between Branch, Jordan, Greene, Harrison at the 1/2.

In the front court Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa will get majority of the minutes and Gift will definitely be used at times of foul trouble and match ups.

Pointer will be the lone 3 but will rest when team plays 3 guards or be spilled in spot minutes if Hooper is brought in for instant offense.

I think Marco is just along for the ride this year.

Discuss....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

Re: Redmen to Redshirt?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »
Felix makes a lot of sense. But like Moose--------, I would

like to see Jones get exp, we may need him next year.
-----------
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:22:31 PM by ras »

Moose

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Yeah I have no feelings on Felix.  But as I said before give Jones the time this year.  He might prove to be even more valuable than Gift.  So come next year he's not a fish out of water.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
Agree about red shirting Felix. In case of injury to an interior player, I would keep Jones active. With our somewhat easy out of conference schedule, Jones will also get sufficient time to develop.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
Redshirting Felix would be smart with all of our guards.  I'd be worried about redshirting Jones because with the new reffing and fouling issues, I'd be worried about frontcourt depth.  I think we can use Jones this year, especially in games where maybe jakarr and Sanchez get into foul trouble.  Jones would get valuable experience this yearn a possible NCAA tourney team, and I think it would bode well entering next year when we lose Sanchez and Gift.  Balamou-yes, Jones-no IMO.

Bourgault will be a role player, but don't discount his value at the end of the bench.  He can still shoot, and could be valuable at times when we need a trey or when other teams are fouling and we are going to the line a lot.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:27:32 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:40 PM »
I think getting Jones an extra year proves way more valuable than the 1 game you might have to call his number. I'd rather him have opportunity to play 25+ a night as a senior than 2-3mpg this year. Big picture I think it makes sense.

This team has enough athleticism and depth to run small. Sanchez, Obekpa, Gift can all play the 5 while Sanchez, Obekpa, Gift, Sampson, and even Pointer can play the 4. That is more than enough depth.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
I think we should consider redshirting Orlando Sanchez.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:01:16 PM by Poison »

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
Don't redshirt both of them. I would love to redshirt balamou if he were willing too. On the other hand this is really the only opportunity lavin has to redshirt jones if he wants to get an extra year of development out of him because it looks like hell certainly need him next year.

We will find out this Saturday because I remember last year they said redshirt a can't participate in exhibitions. My guess is balamou.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
Let's see how how healthy and eligible we are before we rush to redshirt anyone.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:03:53 PM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »
Let's see how how healthy and eligible we are before we rush to redshirt anyone.

Everyone is eligible.  I know that's hard to believe for our fan base.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
I think getting Jones an extra year proves way more valuable than the 1 game you might have to call his number. I'd rather him have opportunity to play 25+ a night as a senior than 2-3mpg this year. Big picture I think it makes sense.

This team has enough athleticism and depth to run small. Sanchez, Obekpa, Gift can all play the 5 while Sanchez, Obekpa, Gift, Sampson, and even Pointer can play the 4. That is more than enough depth.

I know what you are saying.  If Jones saw significant minutes last year I'd get it.  But he didn't.  So he's still an unknown.  If he was known then fine we balance out classes by redshirting.  I know staff is holding out hope that nobody leaves early and they are just replacing Sanchez/Gift next year.  Then yes sliding in Jones makes perfect sense. 

When you red-shirt so many guys its almost like roster mis-management to me.  And I know circumstances played into the domino effect for most of this.  If we do then I don't wanna hear another quote about how we have 13 guys.  Because we don't.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

Are you positive of this? We thought everyone was eligible last year until ten minutes before the first exhibition game.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

Are you positive of this? We thought everyone was eligible last year until ten minutes before the first exhibition game.

Everyone is just overly anxious because of where we have been recently.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
Hey are we becoming miser? Holding on to shall we say projects when each year there is a new top 100 . Lavin sure seems to know his way around that territory( top 100)and am expecting him to continue to sign top recruits. Not that there isn't room for diamond in the ruff,

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
Hey are we becoming miser? Holding on to shall we say projects when each year there is a new top 100 . Lavin sure seems to know his way around that territory( top 100)and am expecting him to continue to sign top recruits. Not that there isn't room for diamond in the ruff,

Agree here.  Let Christian jones play.  We need bodies up front this year.  In the next 2 years there will be more than enough to fill whatever Jones is contributing right now and likely more.  If we have one injury to a Sampson or Sanchez, we'll be kicking ourselves for redshirting him.  IMO there's not that much compelling reason to do so. 

Poison

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »

Gee, why should a St.John's fan be skeptical of eligibility issues :) ?

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
Agree 100%- Jones and felix will red shirt (see post in midnight madness thread).

gman

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
My only problem redshirting 2 kids is that brings us to what 11? If 2 get injured you are down to 9. And since some people will likely struggle and not earn minutes you can quickly be down to a small rotation

derk

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
Is it impossible that Jones could beat out Gift for his minutes ? Gift did well against non conference opponents but, moreover then not, was overmatched against the big boys. Gift is only 6'6". Jones showed some potential even though his minutes were scarce. Gift is gone next year. Let Jones develope with Gift's minutes. Gift can lead from the bench.

hnk

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
I'm not for redshirting....but if someone was redshirted and someone gets injured the redshirt could always end the redshirt and play. I think. Is that correct?