Redmen to Redshirt?

• 54 replies

derk

Re: Redmen to Redshirt?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
I'm not for redshirting....but if someone was redshirted and someone gets injured the redshirt could always end the redshirt and play. I think. Is that correct?

No. Once declared a redshirt, that's it.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
I'm not for redshirting....but if someone was redshirted and someone gets injured the redshirt could always end the redshirt and play. I think. Is that correct?

They could, but consider Gift's case. He was probably told that it was a win win for him to RS. Sit out a year, earn another degree, or work towards another degree and work on your game. If he plays, he loses that extra year for academics, and unless Gift has been watching a sh*t ton of tape on Charles Minlend and TY Grant, he'll be going to work in a suit not a jersey.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
I think Schmershorn brings up a good point, in 3 years I would hope we wouldn't need Christian Jones that badly.   By then, I would hope we have the third edition of a Moe or Jakarr-type player, and frankly I'm fairly certain that despite how much Christian might develop between now and then, a freshmen top 30 forward like that would be starting anyway.   

Use C Jones now and next year when you will definitely need him.   Let him get experience, even if it's only a small amount.   And in the meantime continue to hit the recruiting trail for '14 and '15.   

Moose

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

That's not correct.  You can change your mind on a red-shirted player.  The problem is you just wasted him by sitting him out however many games he did.  Lets say 1/4 season, half season, etc.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

Wrong.  You can end a redshirt year anytime.  It happens all the time in college football . 

I say redshirt Balamou but get Jones 10 mpg early on and 5 mpg after that.  I want him with game experience come next year.  Balamou is a lethal redshirt option that could be a weapon come next season.

Moose

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »

Wrong.  You can end a redshirt year anytime.  It happens all the time in college football . 

I say redshirt Balamou but get Jones 10 mpg early on and 5 mpg after that.  I want him with game experience come next year.  Balamou is a lethal redshirt option that could be a weapon come next season.

Thanks for confirming what Moose said one post prior :)

derk

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »

Thanks for confirming what Moose said one post prior :)

I stand corrected then, not once but twice. I was thinking of those times when you have an injured player,out for the year, that doesn't get replaced. Maybe I was thinking of a medical redshirt. Any different ?

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »

Not true.

You can intend a player to be a redshirt and then circumstances change and you use that player.

Bottom line is if a player plays 1 second he is no longer eligible for a redshirt.  That is the only restriction.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's only 100% wrong.  You can come off a red shirt and play if needed.  But depending on the point in the season it may end up wasting a lot of eligibility.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »

Completely wrong. I

'm just kidding with you Derk. Wanted to be one more person to tell you so.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

gman

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's only 100% wrong.  You can come off a red shirt and play if needed.  But depending on the point in the season it may end up wasting a lot of eligibility.

From Wikipedia

While the redshirt status may be conferred by a coach at the beginning of the year, it is not confirmed until the end of the season, and more specifically, it does not rule a player ineligible in advance to participate in the season. If a player shows great talent, or there are injuries on the team, the coach may remove the redshirt status and allow the player to participate in competition for the remainder of the year.

It's just done often because it burns a kid's eligibility for a partial season.

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Believe you are wrong about this. Was just watching a college football game the other day and one team had a QB out with an injury so as the announcers said the team decided to burn a redshirt year and insert a freshman. This is what I already knew.

desco80

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »

Ehh, I don't know Derk, I'm not so sure that's true. 

Moose

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
Can anyone confirm if Derk is right or wrong?

Please........

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

Please........
Thanks for trusting my previous post.  :( :'(

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

Please........
Thanks for trusting my previous post.  :( :'(

I believe that was humor.  LOL

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »
Felix has great athleticism and with that comes potential...I think he should've been red shirted last year but am okay with him redshirting this year too.

I'm on the fence with Christian but lean towards having him play to get some experience.  We will need him as soon as next year and maybe this year depending on injuries or how Gift has developed.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

bk8664

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
Felix has great athleticism and with that comes potential...I think he should've been red shirted last year but am okay with him redshirting this year too.

I'm on the fence with Christian but lean towards having him play to get some experience.  We will need him as soon as next year and maybe this year depending on injuries or how Gift has developed.

I wouldn't redshirt Jones... we are primed to make a big run this year... sometimes you just have to go all in and push all your chips into the center.   

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
I don't have factual evidence to support this and this is purely my own opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see Felix and Jones redshirt this season.

I don't anticipate either to crack the rotation this season and both are high upside development players that could make an impact by the time they are seniors.

This would also balance out the scholarship balance a bit too.

All indications point to there being a healthy balance of minutes distributed between Branch, Jordan, Greene, Harrison at the 1/2.

In the front court Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa will get majority of the minutes and Gift will definitely be used at times of foul trouble and match ups.

Pointer will be the lone 3 but will rest when team plays 3 guards or be spilled in spot minutes if Hooper is brought in for instant offense.

I think Marco is just along for the ride this year.

Discuss....

I agree with both players redshirting, but more so Jones.  The fact is barring injury, he is not going to get playing time over Sampson, Sanchez, GG, or Obekpa.  That being said, I love his athleticism and motor.  I think he could be a very good player for St. John's in his junior and senior years.

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
Marco, CJ and Felix all not playing yesterday makes me think Lavin is thinking about redshirts. Maybe not for all but I wouldn't be surprised.