San Francisco State Exhibiton Game

• 146 replies
Re: San Francisco State Exhibiton Game
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
Good point SimplyRed.  We're not the same team as last year.  It would be great to see Sampson have a great game and see Jordan become the player we're hoping he'll become.  Beating Wisconsin will really get our season rolling the right way!

Moose

« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
Taking D'angelo out of the game will not be as effective a strategy as it was last year.  Jakarr will not be the only other option.  I'm more concerned with our defense that I am with scoring options.  We will easily be 10 pts better this year on offense than we were last year.

Your lips to God's ear because you need to be a high scoring team to win championships and get to the Final Four.  But 10 more ppg would put us at 75 ppg and among the top 25 scoring teams among the 340 plus D1 teams. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
I don't really know stats, Moose, but with all of the additional scoring options and (hopefully) a continued fast-paced offense, I can't imagine how we don't add 10 pts.

Moose

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
I don't really know stats, Moose, but with all of the additional scoring options and (hopefully) a continued fast-paced offense, I can't imagine how we don't add 10 pts.

Trust me I'm with you.  I gotta find the numbers from March I saw where some crazy number like 22 of the last 25 champs all averaged like 75 ppg or something.  Especially with the new rules offense is key.  No brownie points for having some tough defense that makes games long drawn out fights.

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Taking D'angelo out of the game will not be as effective a strategy as it was last year.  Jakarr will not be the only other option.  I'm more concerned with our defense that I am with scoring options.  We will easily be 10 pts better this year on offense than we were last year.
For the first time I can see DLo as a pro.  He's lighter, quicker, super intense and knows the game better than his coaches.  They should just stay out of his way this year.  Jordan's the real deal but might need two years.  Branch was a defender.  Wha happened?  Greene too.  Overall a pitiful display vs Frisco.  I'd rather see Dom's hustle early and a three man rotation at the 4/5.  Jakarr seems lost at times  He and Sanchez have to learn to play together.  CO was missed and has a lot riding on him if we're going to get better.

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
Agree that one exhibition game means little. That said, I agree  with commentary about  our time consuming passing around  the perimeter approach, often resulting in last second rushed jumpers.  Correctible, yes. Not to beat a dead horse, but our historically offensively challenged team can't afford to give up so many easy baskets. The need to generate offense through steals, turnovers and stops is imperative. Fully expect that to be corrected as well.

All in all, I like the talent and makeup of the team.  Hopefully staff can bring it all together.

I don't think we haphazardly passed around the perimeter though. I watched the game again. Very few times were we stymied by the defense.  We ended up making ill-advised passes quite a hit, leading to turnovers, and too many Sampson perimeter shots, but we routinely took the ball to the hole when we could.  Passing around the perimeter is pretty much a given in any 4-out 1-in offense.  We didn't run it crisply, but I think we will, especially when Jordan seizes all concepts.

It was very obvious to me that the dynamic between Jordan and D'Lo was excellent and that both guards will form a dangerous backcourt.  Both made a high percentage of shots, and both played very well together on the court.  Jordan is going to be fantastic for us, as is Sanchez.

Sampson was terrible yesterday.  He needs to go harder at the hoop as his range is still not out to 3-pt range.  Getting Obekpa back will be big as well, as his rebounding and shotblocking will help and he will allow Sanchez to move out to PF or SF. 

Does anybody remember that ESPN show when they were following St. John's during the Jarvis years?  And when Jarvis asked all of his players which of them thought they should be shooting 3 pointers?  I think Willie Shaw and Kyle Cuffe raised their hands and Jarvis agreed.  And then Eric King raised his hand and Jarvis shot him down in front of the TV crew.

That is exactly what Lavin needs to do with Sampson.  I love JaKarr's game ... when he plays to his strengths.  The guy is a down low presence that for some reason has it in his head that he can shoot 18 footers or hoist up 4 three point shots in 1 game.  If he focuses on his strengths, he is a 1st round pick.  Somebody on our coaching staff needs to stress that of him.  Use your size and athleticism to dominate down low.  Stop trying to prove you are a wing player because you aren't.
Reminds me of Postell who made the league as a defense first hustle guy.  Then he shaved his head and started throwing them up from everywhere.  It wasn't long after that.  Karr should be himself and let the game come to him. Help the team win and good things will happen. Sanchez could play the 2 in the league.  Noone will ever say that about Jakarr.

desco80

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
.... Sanchez could play the 2 in the league. 

You know that basketball is the one with the two hoops and the orange ball right?

bk8664

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »

You know that basketball is the one with the two hoops and the orange ball right?

I was very impressed with Sanchez.  6'9'' and can push the ball up the court and and can pass well.  He seemed active around the rim.  I'm trying to figure out what is the matter with his game... How is he not making good money right now playing ball?  His form on his jumpshot looks pretty solid (of course he did miss some free throws).   

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »
I took a few tidbits from the game.

Yes, it was an exhibition, but SFS outcoached the jocks off our staff.  For us, it's an instant replay of last year except some players are better and others are the same or worse.

Harrison is way better.  He even smiled out there which was a good sign.

Jordan will be a star.

Maybe I focused too much on Sampson's flaws last year.  I can't forget we were a .500 team then.  My guess is it was an exhibition, so the coaches let him take 3s.  He's mediocre at best and worse from way out there.  The good news is no one in the NBA will be crazy enough to draft him, so he's ours through his senior year.

Green and to a lesser extent Branch didn't look like much.  Green will probably kill us against good teams.  I thought Lavin said Branch was the most improved player from one year to the next he's seen in his career.  Enough with the Dick Vitale exaggerations already!  You're not a broadcaster anymore.

Hooper looked like he was in shock when he took the two threes which he missed badly.  Now I'm in shock since I thought he'd be a real deal zone buster. And no Bourgault against a team that zoned us?  Yes, we were outcoached.

Sanchez was very good.  I don't know if he can play for the Utah Jazz today as some reporter opined, but he'll help,

God's Gift will also help if he's given some minutes.  At least he won't foul out.  He's one of the few players who brought some energy and he didn't stink out the joint as some of you claimed.

Pointer is out best player, hands down.

Hopefully, we see Balamou, Jones and Bourgault tonight...and Lavin actually coaching!

desco80

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »

I was very impressed with Sanchez.  6'9'' and can push the ball up the court and and can pass well.  He seemed active around the rim.  I'm trying to figure out what is the matter with his game... How is he not making good money right now playing ball?  His form on his jumpshot looks pretty solid (of course he did miss some free throws).   

Sanchez looked good, I agree.   I was impressed, he can do a little of everything, and should be able to help us a lot.
But, there's a big difference between bringing the ball up once or twice on a fast break in an exhibition and playing shooting guard in the NBA.   

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

Yes, it was an exhibition, but SFS outcoached the jocks off our staff.  For us, it's an instant replay of last year except some players are better and others are the same or worse.

Jordan will be a star.

Maybe I focused too much on Sampson's flaws last year.  I can't forget we were a .500 team then.  My guess is it was an exhibition, so the coaches let him take 3s.  He's mediocre at best and worse from way out there.  The good news is no one in the NBA will be crazy enough to draft him, so he's ours through his senior year.

Green and to a lesser extent Branch didn't look like much.  Green will probably kill us against good teams.  I thought Lavin said Branch was the most improved player from one year to the next he's seen in his career.  Enough with the Dick Vitale exaggerations already!  You're not a broadcaster anymore.

Hooper looked like he was in shock when he took the two threes which he missed badly.  Now I'm in shock since I thought he'd be a real deal zone buster. And no Bourgault against a team that zoned us?  Yes, we were outcoached.

Sanchez was very good.  I don't know if he can play for the Utah Jazz today as some reporter opined, but he'll help,

God's Gift will also help if he's given some minutes.  At least he won't foul out.  He's one of the few players who brought some energy and he didn't stink out the joint as some of you claimed.

Hopefully, we see Balamou, Jones and Bourgault tonight...and Lavin actually coaching!

Pointer out best player hands down? I love him but he can't be more than a 4th option on a good team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

He helped... the other team stay in the game.   I'm convinced some people were watching a different game.   
Gift was absolutely LOST for most of the game.     I understand he got some rebounds and baskets in the 2nd half,  but he let up enough baskets by leaving his man too early, or coming to help too late that it more than offsets the minimal production he gave. 
On rare occasions he might be able to help us some, but generally speaking he's just not good enough to warrant much playing time.

hnk

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
Hooper missed two three point shots and Sampson three and u guys r drawing conclusions.  That's nutty.   I think with time we'll find Hooper can shoot and Sampson is much, much improved.   The bench jumped up when Hooper launched his shots as if  they were sure  they were going in. NCAA's here we come!

paultzman

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »

He helped... the other team stay in the game.   I'm convinced some people were watching a different game.   
Gift was absolutely LOST for most of the game.     I understand he got some rebounds and baskets in the 2nd half,  but he let up enough baskets by leaving his man too early, or coming to help too late that it more than offsets the minimal production he gave. 
On rare occasions he might be able to help us some, but generally speaking he's just not good enough to warrant much playing time.

Agree

MCNPA

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
Hooper will be fine.  Sampson needs to feel it in.  We were too excited in first game and tried t play too fast.  It just lead to mistakes all over.  The good news is that D'angelo looks fantastic and is our best player.  Our next best are Jordan and Sanchez., which is a good sign when they're ahead of returning big east ROY.  We will also get Obekpa back which will change things. 

Sanchez and Jakarr need to develop some sort of repoire down low.  It will help our offense.  We will be dangerous this season when we get in our groove.  We certainly were not in it on Saturday, especially on D.  Jordan needs to go to the hole as much as possible and we will be fine.  He'll draw defenses in and leave open shots for our other guys.

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »
but I don't see the big deal if he steps out every once and while and hoists a three. He can't be any worse a shooter than Greene.

Au contraire...mon frère.

Last season 3 point %'s:
Jakarr     - 0 percent
Triangle - 23 percent

bk8664

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »

Sanchez looked good, I agree.   I was impressed, he can do a little of everything, and should be able to help us a lot.
But, there's a big difference between bringing the ball up once or twice on a fast break in an exhibition and playing shooting guard in the NBA.   

I definitely didn't say he's a 2 in the NBA.  He's a 3;  and probably in Europe.  After a very cursory look, it seems that he has the skill set necessary to make pretty good scratch playing professionally - whether it is overseas or here I'm not sure.

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
Deja same ole same ole vu?

- Made a guy who sounds like he works as an organ grinder resemble Allen Iverson.

- Smoked, yet again, from D2 three-point land.  9 for 16.  Teams shoot worse in pre-game warmups than they do against us.

- Crimson played the last season Marco Marceau role to the T.  Missed two early threes than never saw the court again.

- 3'lo can still score like crazy. Suspensions don't seem to hurt his shooting touch.

- Unable to stop penetration.  Even that of small, slow, less athletic d2 guards.

- Jakarr's three still needs work.

- Square had a bad shooting percentage

Instead of focusing on the negative of what Double G isn't; I like to focus on the positive of what he is. He's strong, hustles, has a great motor, goes after rebounds passionately, and is not afraid to mix it up down low.

Moose

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
Can Carmine provide a cheat sheet for all of his nicknames and abbreviations?

Poison

« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »

Jordan will be a star.

Pointer is our best player hands down? I'm going to raise my hand and remind you that Harrison has been reinstated, and that he is our best player, and has been since the first minute of the first game last season.

I love Pointer, but he's not a guy who will carry us. He's a great role player.