Obekpa and the match up zone...

• 27 replies

Poison

Obekpa and the match up zone...
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
Clearly, he was the difference in this game. Bucknell, is no cupcake despite what a couple of trolls have posted, and they manhandled us for most of the game, but when Lavin put Obekpa out there with Sanchez, Bucknell had no path to the basket. HE is the key to the match up zone. He allows our guys to get out on shooters–which we did, and he controlled the paint as well.

I know Lavin is still working on his starting 5, but Obekpa, because of this, is the key to our success. I don't understand why we can't play man to man defense. It's a mystery to me, but if Obekpa is guarding the basket, I can see the match up zone winning games for us. So, I'm ok w it.

What do we think?

Foad

Re: Obekpa and the match up zone...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Clearly, he was the difference in this game. Bucknell, is no cupcake despite what a couple of trolls have posted, and they manhandled us for most of the game, but when Lavin put Obekpa out there with Sanchez, Bucknell had no path to the basket. HE is the key to the match up zone. He allows our guys to get out on shooters–which we did, and he controlled the paint as well.

I know Lavin is still working on his starting 5, but Obekpa, because of this, is the key to our success. I don't understand why we can't play man to man defense. It's a mystery to me, but if Obekpa is guarding the basket, I can see the match up zone winning games for us. So, I'm ok w it.

What do we think?

We think that was a 2-1-2, not a match up.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »

What do we think?

Ahh, yes it was, good point.

boo3

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
 Play the zone, whatever you wanna call it is fine with me.

Clearly we can't play man to man defense. It was embarrassing how badly guys were getting beat early on.  wide open layups.

I don't mind Obekpa coming off the bench because I think Sanchez can do a good job in that role with the starters..

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
Play the zone, whatever you wanna call it is fine with me.

Clearly we can't play man to man defense. It was embarrassing how badly guys were getting beat early on.  wide open layups.

I don't mind Obekpa coming off the bench because I think Sanchez can do a good job in that role with the starters..

Sanchez was much better on defense last night. He wasn't leaving his feet like Sampson does routinely. Once Sampson learns how to play defense, I think group will contend for the BE title. Not that the BE title is a big deal anymore.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
I felt all summer that this team should be a very good zone team. We played a very active effective zone in Lavin's first year. When you consider the length this team has, with Obekpa in the back, I think our zone should be tough to score on.  Last night we showed flashes of it.

tnice

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

What do we think?

This is a key distinction. Leaving Obekpa back there to play goalie and shitcanning the "man to man principles" which led to overrotation and piles of wide open threes is a much better way to play this zone.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
One of the striking things evident from the overhead shot at CA was how when we were on defense our players were deployed outside the foul line

X            X
    X X X

whereas Bucknell's players were deployed near the paint

X      X
     X
X      X

That's why it was so easy for them to beat us off the dribble or by back doors. No help inside even if the weak side guy was awake enough to react and let's face it he wasn't. When we went to the zone that left them with few options because they're driving and cutting right at Obekpa and Sanchez, as opposed to having them come over late and flail away trying to block the ball to Utopia.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
Whenever they play man Obekpa always winds up guarding some guy at the three point line. Not where he needs to be.

CC

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
I thought Obekpa was the key to the win last night, I know Greene hit a few shots but someone on STJ was due to drill a few in a row. The game changed when Lavin went to the zone and Obekpa got a few blocks, a tip in , and the drop step dunk. He even blocked one shot softly enough to keep in in bounds when he could have easily sent it into the seats, very smart play. I have no problem with bringing him off the bench .

desco80

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »
The switch to the zone absolutely baffled Bucknell last night, and it certainly freed up Obekpa to do his thing and help from the weak-side. 
But the idea that we should always play the 2-3 now ( or 2-1-2) is laughable to anybody who saw the Wisconsin game,  or most of the 2012-13 season for that matter. 

We need to play better defense, period.   Both our schemes are mediocre.   When we play zone we get beat over the top by 3pt shooters because we don't anticipate the pass and rotate quick enough.  Conversely, when we play man we're letting people drive right passed us.   
We got lucky last night, because ...to most of our surprises ... in the first half Bucknell wasn't beating us with deep shooting, they were doing it by taking us off the dribble.   Not what we expected, but OK, and coach made the adjustment which paid dividends.   

But the exact opposite was true in the Wisconsin game.  Their ball movement and shooting was destroying our zone, and we only started to make a run when we went to man and got in their face a little bit. 

The point is that neither scheme is our golden ticket.   We can play both if the situation dictates it, or we can pick one and stick with it, but our fundamentals in both need to improve. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:22:24 PM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
Obkepa looked so much stronger last night. Thought he was liability at times last year. He was just to skinny

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Maybe we should always start by playing man, convincing the other team they can drive, try and keep it close, then switch to the zone in the 2nd. Foolproof.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
I just hope we start playing 40 minutes of hell once conference play starts!

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »

If you watch us regularly, we always play 40 minutes of hell.

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 11:39:59 PM »

You would think we are athletic enough and deep enough that we could play VCU style. I dont know why more teams don't do that now and then.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »

You would think we are athletic enough and deep enough that we could play VCU style. I dont know why more teams don't do that now and then.

It's hard work.

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 01:53:24 AM »

What do we think?

Unless the point was to confuse you then mission accomplished. They started off playing a 2-3 then switched to a 3-2.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »

What do we think?

Unless the point was to confuse you then mission accomplished. They started off playing a 2-3 then switched to a 3-2.

Call it whatever you like. Obekpa and Sanchez down low made the difference. No confusion there.

SJUFAN

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »

What do we think?

Call it whatever you like. Obekpa and Sanchez down low made the difference. No confusion there.

I'm not calling it what I like, I'm calling it what it was. Not trying to attack you but how some posters criticize the coaching staff for doing this, or not doing that yet can't tell what a basic zone looks like is beyond me. Obekpa was phenomenal, he was communicating with his teammates and rotated out to the corner three when he needed to, something he struggled doing last year. I think they played the 3-2 well and we may see more of it against good shooting teams.