Rating Coach

• 104 replies
Re: Rating Coach
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Wait, what?????
Suspended for drinking. College kid drinking, wow. Do you get suspended for getting laid too?

You do if it happens in pittsburgh.
P

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
SUSPENDED!
Doubt he got suspended for going home to see his mom. Unless he was drinking and eye rolling on his way home to see his mom. That would make more sense.

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
They really got in trouble for not paying her. If they weren't cheap, program would be in a lot better shape right now. Does anyone remember the actual amount they stiffed her? What is the going rate for running a train?

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Lavin gets an F.  Then again we used to give Louie an F.  This is NY.  You want to pass, win.  With Louie we would moan about not winning the big one.  Now we have dropped our expectations to getting in the NCAA as a win.   This is probably the reason why our entire section got moved at Alumni Hall and scattered around so the true fans, i.e. donors, could have the seats behind the bench.  No matter how long I live I will never forgive the school for kicking out the true fans, ones who live and die by the program.   I figure I'd rant since nobody reads my posts anyway and I type them for my own amusement.

Kids learn to yell and not be so apathetic.  Man, when I was your age I was the loudest person in the entire place and now I feel nothing from the crowd.   You know what, you get an F, ,you get an F, you get an F EVERYONE GETS AN F!!!!

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
I was thinking about the Looie comparison before you posted.  IF Lavin stays, I have a sense he'll be the next Looie.

That means virtually every year will be a twenty win season.  A post season every year.  No chance at winning the big one.

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
I would be more than happy with next Louie. 20 wins make tourney 7-out of 10 years make a sweet 16 one every 15 years or so. Sign me up for that. Lavin has a lot of work to get to that level.

boo3

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 11:02:28 AM »
 "Lavin has a lot of work to get to that level."

I disagree,  From purely a talent standpoint, we are there in a few short seasons.  what, 3 recruiting classes?  Considering after year one, we had nothing, that's a good start.   Coaching the talent up to a level where they can compete with top 20 teams on a regular basis, we will see.  A lot of those questions are about to be answered in the coming months.   The first test, against wisconsin, didn't go too well.   1st game of the season though,  I'm not writing them off after that.

Foad

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
How come everyone is what their record says they are except Lavin? He's 33 and 36 with his own players. If that's a B+ - which is above above average and just short of outstanding - what's his grade when he gets to .530? A++++++?

boo3

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
 2011-2012,  13-19 record...  granted they are on his resume, but he coached what, 3 games that season? Although argument could be made, and I'm sure would be, that Dunlap did better than SL would have done..

I think B-, C+ is a fair grade.

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
How come everyone is what their record says they are except Lavin? He's 33 and 36 with his own players. If that's a B+ - which is above above average and just short of outstanding - what's his grade when he gets to .530? A++++++?

It's all relative to expectations.  For example, if the Jets go 7-9 this year, they will have exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations given their roster despite a losing record.  Similarly, with Lavin out sick two years ago dealing with nothing but freshmen, winning 13 games only was an under performance by about a game or two (relative to expected record pre season).  Lavin probably gets a higher grade that what his W-L record might indicate because of the way he has positioned the program going forward.  You are what your record will be.

uwsfan

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Lavins grade:

1. Recruiting- A
2. Coaching/Results- D

Overall grade- D (because #2 is all that matters)

The fact is that last years team should have made the tourney. If they fail to make it this year, or even barely make it as a very low seed and lose in 1st round, Lavin should be gone.

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
We made 1 NCAA tourney in 3 years. That is Brian Mahoney territory. You know, the Norm defenders used to try to say that the criticism was partially based on racism. I naturally disagreed and figured everyone was basing it on the fact that he sucked like I was. Now with people getting all bent out of shape if you suggest that Lavin is failing if he fails to make the tourney more than once every 4 years... I am not so sure anymore.

boo3

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
Racism accusations..  we've reached a new low.. Congrats..

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
Nope, they were around when Norm was here. I always disagreed but what is fair is fair. Coaches get criticized when team fails. Why is Lavin any different? Norm was terrible and people should have been allowed to say so and they were. So far Lavin has not come close to what people expected, why isn't he ok to be criticized?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:28:44 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
Another example if you want to play Devil's advocate is Harrison vs Hooper.
People posted on this very board that Harrison shoots too much(to say nothing of eye rolls, tats, frohawk, gang affilation and such) and everyone and their mother clamors for Hooper to play. Well he played and shot terribly but I actually saw it posted as a positive?????

desco80

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
I think this is a season full of expectations and that Lavin should be under some pressure to win.   But I don't think the team needs to make the tournament in order for him to retain his job.   He has more leeway than that, it's not a make or break season. 

Now, if they don't make the tournament this season, we could be having a very different discussion at this time next year.   But we're not there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:36:03 AM by desco80 »

boo3

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
 Read the boards.. He gets criticized constantly.. I don't get it.. People defend him, just like people defended Norm..

I have no idea where you are going with this. Totally off-base.  At least you are consistent.  lol

paultzman

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »

Have been critical of Lav's coaching expertise at times, but let's see if he can deliver this year. NCAA tourney, bid, win a game & finish in top four or five of conference is my measuring stick.

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Cracker a$$ crackers get mad when you criticize whitey.

You all need to put down your copies of Mein Kampf and start reevaluating the job Lavin  is doing!

BTW I am only playing but people do defend Lavin like he is a realtive. Read some of the posts. I do stand by my post that no NCAA again and no Jordan then Lavin should be feeling real heat. I don't think it is racism. I think people are just scared that if Lavin leaves we won't get a "sexy" name to replace him.

boo3

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »

Have been critical of Lav's coaching expertise at times, but let's see if he can deliver this year. NCAA tourney, bid, win a game & finish in top four or five of conference is my measuring stick.

100%.. I'm with you.. The honeymoon is indeed over.. I think this team is capable of all of those things.   I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.